The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Im not going to assume that a 42 year old an will continue to play, but if Ryan did play that long he’d be a pretty good bet to get it, or at least in the neighborhood.

you’re being disingenuous about stafford and I don’t know why, he played 8 games last year l, you’re projecting  that he’ll be injured every year or two? If stafford plays (and starts) into his early 40s he’s very, very likely to get it. So yes, it kinda is just about stafford deciding to play.

and you’re making my point for me. The games changed and that record will be broken a few times coming up relatively soon.

Its not just about him "deciding" to play though.  How many QBs have played effectively into their 40s?  Or played into their 40s, period?  Brady is a huge outlier.  Brees is the closest thing but he's barely been able to stay on the field since he turned 40 and has clearly lost a step or two.  Favre had one good year at 40.  That's it, nobody else has come close. 

The record will likely end up somewhere in the ballpark of 85-90K yards for the regular season (if not higher), I don't see anyone getting there any time soon.  Ben and Rivers are too far behind, they'd have to play an extra 4-5 years once Brady and Brees retire.  Not going to happen.  Rodgers is even further behind.  Ryan to your point could do it if he played the next 7-8 years at a high level, but that'd make him only the second QB in NFL history (and one of a handful of athletes period) to keep up their play well into his 40s.  Its not impossible but its highly unlikely imo.  Nobody else has any shot in the next 7-8 years.  Stafford could do it if he kept up his play for the next decade, again well into his 40s, very unlikely.  Wilson is the same age but further behind.  Cousins even further behind.  Neither of those guys is close to on pace.  Derek Carr would be slightly more realistic than Cousins except nobody thinks he's going to be a starting QB in the NFL long enough to throw for another 64K yards.  And Brady widened the gap on every single one of those guys in 2020.

I'm not saying the record will never be broken but I don't see anyone coming close in the near future.  Its going to take someone both playing at an elite level with ridiculous longevity.  Brady and Brees (even more so Brees) yards / game numbers are as high or higher than any of the younger generation of QBs in the new pass happy game except for Patrick Mahomes.  Mahomes could very well break the record, but he's 15 elite, highly durable years away from challenging the record, so that conversation is premature imo.

Not to mention there's been a lot of movement towards dual threat QBs over the past few years.  If that continues, the past 10 years could end up being the high water mark for the pass happy NFL and Brady/Brees records could stand for a long time.

7 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Not to mention there's been a lot of movement towards dual threat QBs over the past few years.  If that continues, the past 10 years could end up being the high water mark for the pass happy NFL and Brady/Brees records could stand for a long time.

Tell Matt Barkley I still believe in him Mission.  It's destiny. B|

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Dual threat QBs don't mean teams will stop throwing a ton - especially in the red zone. 

The only thing keeping Brady's records safe will be his longevity. 

11 hours ago, mission27 said:

I know, we all know Belichick didn't have a ton of success in Cleveland 

I'm just saying grading Belichick in any way by what he did "without Brady" when Brady coincided with literally 20 years of his career and 6 Super Bowls will never be fair and imo is misleading.  Just like it would be unfair to grade Sean Payton or Bill Walsh on the handful of games they coached without Brees or Montana.  

And you can’t discount Cleveland though, or the first year in NE. Other coaches have come to worst situations and win right away the first year. Look at Mcvay in La

11 hours ago, childofpudding said:

You're embarrassing yourself dude. Posting stats from 12/5, practically ignoring Brady's current ranking in DVOA, dismissing 40 passing TDs from a 43 y.o. when Arians has never previously coached a team that had 40 passing TDs in a single season, saying the yardage record will change hands several times in the next several years while calling out others for using hyperbole.

Then you make some weird comment on how I'm living my life? Lol.

Point is the mods show up and lecture us about criticizing fans, but others get to say people are legit "mentally ill" or "haters" for having a different opinion on Tom Brady.   It's really disgusting to witness this honestly.  

Talk about embarrassing.   The level of trolling and vindictive taking place here against anyone who doesn't fall at the feet of this man is what's really embarrassing. 

So yeah I guess that comment he made about your life is fair game.  If people can call me and others "mentally ill" then hey, let's just take the gloves off I guess.

By the way DVOA is just some made up statistics by Football Outsiders who are a Pro Football Focus wannabee (that OTHER place that makes up BS statistics).   It's "adjusted" which means it's subjective bull****.  Nobody in real life uses that statistic, certainly nobody in the NFL.  It's just a massaged statistic for people who make Internet arguments.  It can't accurately reflect anything.

I don't think anybody is trying to "dismiss" the year Brady has had.   It's just not all that impressive considering the overwhelming talent he has on offense.   You guys keep judging it on a sliding scale because he's 43.  You want us to cut him some slack over that, while screaming in our faces that he's the "GOAT" and we can't DARE question that?  That's just some hero-worship fanboi stuff right there.  

The reason most quarterbacks don't play into their 40's is they aren't ego-driven sociopaths with an inferiority complex like Tom Brady.  Of course most quarterbacks can physically play until they are 43, they just have the good sense not to and they have millions of dollars in their pocket.   Why risk a long healthy life by staying in the game that long?

I hope the last we see of Tom Brady is his stupid fake childish cheating ***, with his boyish haircut, being carted off the field to help illustrate that point to you sycophants.

9 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Cool story bro. I don’t know why you’re having such a hard time understanding the list of stats I provided. If I could make it easier to explain I would but I just don’t see how it’s that complicated to where you’re not understanding. Do you not want to understand or you’re genuinely not getting it. Like it’s super simple so i really, really hope it’s the former (that means the first option).

another thing that I wouldn’t think needed clarification, when I posted that there was some hyperbole there, I was referring to my post. I was calling out myself, not others.

lastly, I don’t think it’s weird to think that it’s a little bit unusual to spaz out and throw out baseless accusations just because someone disagrees with you.

I didn't spaz out. I called you a Brady hater, which is evidenced by this very thread.

11 minutes ago, Saint_James said:

Point is the mods show up and lecture us about criticizing fans, but others get to say people are legit "mentally ill" or "haters" for having a different opinion on Tom Brady.   It's really disgusting to witness this honestly.  

Talk about embarrassing.   The level of trolling and vindictive taking place here against anyone who doesn't fall at the feet of this man is what's really embarrassing. 

So yeah I guess that comment he made about your life is fair game.  If people can call me and others "mentally ill" then hey, let's just take the gloves off I guess.

By the way DVOA is just some made up statistics by Football Outsiders who are a Pro Football Focus wannabee (that OTHER place that makes up BS statistics).   It's "adjusted" which means it's subjective bull****.  Nobody in real life uses that statistic, certainly nobody in the NFL.  It's just a massaged statistic for people who make Internet arguments.  It can't accurately reflect anything.

I don't think anybody is trying to "dismiss" the year Brady has had.   It's just not all that impressive considering the overwhelming talent he has on offense.   You guys keep judging it on a sliding scale because he's 43.  You want us to cut him some slack over that, while screaming in our faces that he's the "GOAT" and we can't DARE question that?  That's just some hero-worship fanboi stuff right there.  

The reason most quarterbacks don't play into their 40's is they aren't ego-driven sociopaths with an inferiority complex like Tom Brady.  Of course most quarterbacks can physically play until they are 43, they just have the good sense not to and they have millions of dollars in their pocket.   Why risk a long healthy life by staying in the game that long?

I hope the last we see of Tom Brady is his stupid fake childish cheating ***, with his boyish haircut, being carted off the field to help illustrate that point to you sycophants.

I didn't call him mentally ill. I called him a Brady hater because that's what he is, just like you. Meanwhile in this very post you called me a troll, fanboi and a sycophant. Not going to respond to the rest of your novel because it's just your usual blathering. And honestly it takes up too much real estate when I'm trying to read good posts from good posters. So welcome to my ignore list - you're now the second person on it.

Edited by childofpudding

6 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

I didn't call him mentally ill. I called him a Brady hater because that's what he is, just like you. Meanwhile in this very post you called me a troll, fanboi and a sycophant. Not going to respond to the rest of your novel because it's just your usual blathering. And honestly it takes up too much real estate when I'm trying to read good posts from good posters. So welcome to my ignore list - you're now the second person on it.

Ah yes the famous "taking my ball and going home" ignore post.  Where someone specifically writes a post, to tell someone he's not worth writing posts to.

I won't lose sleep tonight. 

8 hours ago, LieutenantGains said:

I can only imagine the numbers if he had a normal off season and a pre season to connect with the receivers. Evans and Godwin also missed some games and played banged up in quite a few.

No quarterback got a "normal" off season this year.  But Tom Brady is the only one I know of who broke every protocol to work out with his teammates before the season.  So he actually got a better off season than any other QB.

And why did he do that?  Because Tom Brady is just so very very special and entitled.  That's why.  COVID restrictions are just something that only applies to others I guess.

Edited by Saint_James

7 hours ago, Starless said:

Dual threat QBs don't mean teams will stop throwing a ton - especially in the red zone. 

The only thing keeping Brady's records safe will be his longevity. 

Compared to the pass first guys of the past decade, it kind of does.  There's definitely an inverse correlation between how much a QB uses their legs as a weapon and their volume passing stats.  If you're rushing for big chunks of yards 5-10 times a game those are yards you aren't getting in the air.  And you're at a much higher risk of injury and long term wear and tear.

Yards per 16 games... 

Prototypical passers:

Brees - 4,480

Stafford - 4,374

Ryan - 4,353

Peyton - 4,327

Goff - 4,214

Brady - 4,210

Cousins - 4,165

Rivers - 4,160

Ben - 4,144

Carr - 3,912

Eli - 3,866

Borderline (mobile, but rarely look to run)

Mahomes - 4,922 - clearly an outlier in general

Jameis - 4,171

Rodgers - 4,162

Dak - 4,089

Wentz - 3,956

Dalton - 3,721

Alex Smith - 3,278

True dual threat QBs (use their legs as a major part of their offensive game)

Deshaun Watson - 4,308

Kyler Murray - 3,846

Russell Wilson - 3,772

Cam Newton - 3,623

Josh Allen - 3,530

Lamar Jackson - 2,464

Russell Wilson is the perfect example.  He is hands down the best QB between the Mahomes / Watson (25) and Rodgers / Ben / Rivers (37-39) generations, probably the only Hall of Famer in the bunch, but he will never get close to any of the yardage records because he runs cloes to 100 times a year.

1 hour ago, Saint_James said:

So angry. Don't worry, Brees will always be considered the GOAT by homers like you. People with actual football knowledge know who the GOAT is

Edited by LieutenantGains

12 minutes ago, LieutenantGains said:

So angry. Don't worry, Brees will always be considered the GOAT by homers like you

Brees is clearly the single greatest thrower of the football in NFL history, however I acknowledge that you need multiple championships to enter the "GOAT" debate without having rocks hurled at your head -so for my money, that's clearly Joe Montana.  He did it in a MUCH harder era than Brees and Brady are playing in. 

Oh I'm sorry, you were just trolling instead of actually looking for a discussion.  My bad....

People with actual football knowledge know who the GOAT is

Go GOAT yourself you f'ing troll. 

Edited by Saint_James