The Tom Brady Thread

BayRaider

8 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

And here’s where he was on the below stats as of 12/5. As I said, they’ll have to be updated but I’m going to take a wild guess and say he won’t be top 5 in a majority of them @BayRaider.

25th in completion percentage

9th in touchdown percentage

19th in interception percentage

23rd in yards per attempt

20th in adjusted ypa

23rd in yards per completion

15th in passer rating

20th in net yards gained per attempt

16th in adjusted yards per attempt

Only a couple of those are advanced stats. And yeah, you need to update your numbers. He was top 10 in both passer rating and ANY/A going into today, and like I said, 4th in DVOA. He will likely end up top 9 or better in non-defense-adjusted standard and advanced stats like passer rating and ANY/A, and 4th in one of the more well-respected advanced stats, the defense-adjusted DVOA.

You could have easily taken 5 minutes to visit profootballreference and Football Outsiders yourself to update your information rather than relying on rankings from a month ago  to provide your analysis today.

• Like 1

Just now, childofpudding said:

Only a couple of those are advanced stats. And yeah, you need to update your numbers. He was top 10 in both passer rating and ANY/A going into today, and like I said, 4th in DVOA. He will likely end up top 9 or better in non-defense-adjusted standard and advanced stats like passer rating and ANY/A, and 4th in one of the more well-respected advanced stats, the defense-adjusted DVOA.

You could have easily taken 5 minutes to visit profootballreference and Football Outsiders yourself to update your information rather than relying on rankings from a month ago  to provide your analysis today.

I've never seen such cherry picking in my life. And month old stats to top it off...

8 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

And here’s where he was on the below stats as of 12/5. As I said, they’ll have to be updated but I’m going to take a wild guess and say he won’t be top 5 in a majority of them @BayRaider.

25th in completion percentage

9th in touchdown percentage

19th in interception percentage

23rd in yards per attempt

20th in adjusted ypa

23rd in yards per completion

15th in passer rating

20th in net yards gained per attempt

16th in adjusted yards per attempt

Rate stats aren't everything.  A QB who can carry the load on a higher percentage of his teams snaps and rack up more total yards and touchdowns is contributing much more value than a QB who is involved in 25% fewer plays.  And by virtue of carrying the load on a greater percentage of their teams snaps, those guys are also throwing in lower percentage passing situations, so their rate stats will be comparatively lower than it would be in a game manager role.  

Patrick Mahomes and Ryan Tannehil have similar passer ratings this season, does anyone think they are remotely comparable players?  Mahomes threw the ball 30% more often than Tanehill did.  Tom Brady and Derek Carr will end the year with almost identical passer ratings but Carr threw the ball like 200 fewer times.  Rate stats aren't everything. 

Looking at those stats in a vacuum would be like judging a running back purely on Y/C.  Every down backs who carry the ball 300+ times per season generally wont have the highest Y/C in the league, but they're definitely the best and most valuable running backs in the league.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

He was top 10 in both passer rating and ANY/A going into today, and like I said, 4th in DVOA.

And also threw the ball more than anyone other than Matt Ryan.  Maintaining a 100+ passer rating over 600+ attempts is a lot different than doing it over 400 or 500.  

50 minutes ago, mission27 said:

To be fair I think that has a lot to do with how long Brady stuck around.  Its basically contemporaneous with Bill's entire run in Foxborough, outside of his first season (transition year) and this season (transition year) and the year he went 11-5 with Matt Cassell.  I doubt that'll be true 3 or 5 years from now tbh.

It’s counting Cleveland

4 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

Except I’m not relying on these for my analysis today. I’m on my phone, so the easiest way was to just copy and paste the stats I was referring t, does this make sense? I believe said a couple times that they needed to be updated so I’m not sure where the confusion came in. Like I even included the date to be as clear as possible.

but from watching the game today, it’s the same thing as it’s been all season. He still has some great moments but he also has moments where you don’t think that’s Tom Brady. Thy was the case a month ago and it’s still the case from today’s game.  And the “argument” is still the same, he plus in an extremely friendly offense that allows him to put up pretty surface stats ( meaning tds mainly) but digging deeper that’s really the only elite stat he has, or that and dvoa.

Just now, CP3MVP said:

It’s counting Cleveland

I know, we all know Belichick didn't have a ton of success in Cleveland 

I'm just saying grading Belichick in any way by what he did "without Brady" when Brady coincided with literally 20 years of his career and 6 Super Bowls will never be fair and imo is misleading.  Just like it would be unfair to grade Sean Payton or Bill Walsh on the handful of games they coached without Brees or Montana.  

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

Except I’m not relying on these for my analysis today. I’m on my phone, so the easiest way was to just copy and paste the stats I was referring t, does this make sense? I believe said a couple times that they needed to be updated so I’m not sure where the confusion came in. Like I even included the date to be as clear as possible.

but from watching the game today, it’s the same thing as it’s been all season. He still has some great moments but he also has moments where you don’t think that’s Tom Brady. Thy was the case a month ago and it’s still the case from today’s game.  And the “argument” is still the same, he plus in an extremely friendly offense that allows him to put up pretty surface stats ( meaning tds mainly) but digging deeper that’s really the only elite stat he has, or that and dvoa.

DVOA is probably the most well-respected advanced QB stat there is. Brady was 4th going into today. I'll take that over an historical Brady hater's eyetest any day. Sorry.

Also, it takes nothing to update your numbers, even from a phone. I looked at PFR and it took me about one minute to see that Brady was top 10 in passer rating and ANY/A going into today. It's such a lame excuse for posting month-old data. Lol.

8 minutes ago, mission27 said:

And also threw the ball more than anyone other than Matt Ryan.  Maintaining a 100+ passer rating over 600+ attempts is a lot different than doing it over 400 or 500.  

How much do weight do you put on him being in such a qb friendly offense? Arians is inarguably that, and he has 24 of his tds in goal to go situations. I wonder if that #is skewed because arians likes to pass so much. And it’s the same with Rodgers for the record, he’s pretty much been unstoppable but GBs offense just loves to throw early and often in goal to go. I wonder if you just ignore td passes for a second and watched a game (and not saying you haven’t, I mean the general you) would you be saying, man, this is an elite Qb. I kinda doubt it personally.

5 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

but from watching the game today, it’s the same thing as it’s been all season. He still has some great moments but he also has moments where you don’t think that’s Tom Brady.

As someone who has watched almost every single game of Brady's career since 2001, he 100% looks like the same guy to me.  But to each his own.  I think many are remembering the highlight reel (GWDs against the Falcons, Chiefs, Seahawks, etc.) where he elevated himself to a superhuman level and also clouded by the more in your face style of todays elite QBs like Mahomes and Rodgers and Watson.  He's still the same guy to me and its still plenty effective.

6 minutes ago, childofpudding said:

DVOA is probably the most well-respected advanced QB stat there is. Brady was 4th going into today. I'll take that over an historical Brady hater's eyetest any day. Sorry.

Also, it takes nothing to update your numbers, even from a phone. I looked at PFR and it took me about one minute to see that Brady was top 10 in passer rating and ANY/A going into today. It's such a lame excuse for posting month-old data. Lol.

Nope, it was the quickest way to post all the stats I was referring too. What you said doesn’t solve that problem, At all. I was going to put more but then i noticed the historical Brady hater part. Link it. How lazy does it get just to default to that?

1 minute ago, GSUeagles14 said:

How much do weight do you put on him being in such a qb friendly offense? Arians is inarguably that, and he has 24 of his tds in goal to go situations. I wonder if that #is skewed because arians likes to pass so much. And it’s the same with Rodgers for the record, he’s pretty much been unstoppable but GBs offense just loves to throw early and often in goal to go. I wonder if you just ignore td passes for a second and watched a game (and not saying you haven’t, I mean the general you) would you be saying, man, this is an elite Qb. I kinda doubt it personally.

Oh yeah, 100%, him being in a QB friendly offense and having a bunch of weapons is a big contributor to his stats this season, just like it is for Mahomes and Rodgers.  And its the main difference between 2019 Tom Brady and 2020 Tom Brady (although I do think 2019 Tom Brady was moping around a little bit too much).

But I mean most elite QBs have a QB friendly offense around them.  When you have an elite QB you build an offense around him, that's the whole point.  4600 yards and 40 touchdowns is still pretty rare.

And you do have to consider that:

a) This was his first season with Arians and the Bucs and this system

b) Arians probably has an IQ around 75

c) A lot of his top targets now were injured for part of the season or are only now getting up to speed 

d) Since he's had his offense at full strength, he's been putting up video game numbers, which is what you'd sort of expect from the GOAT throwing to a bunch of Hall of Famers 

I think its totally fair to say, 350+ yards and 4 touchdowns a week is made possible by elite targets.  But on the whole I think what he's done this season in his first year in a new system, for the first time in his career, with a dog **** head coach and a bunch of injuries and guys who literally hadn't been on a football field in a year or two is pretty remarkable. 

6 minutes ago, mission27 said:

Oh yeah, 100%, him being in a QB friendly offense and having a bunch of weapons is a big contributor to his stats this season, just like it is for Mahomes and Rodgers.  And its the main difference between 2019 Tom Brady and 2020 Tom Brady (although I do think 2019 Tom Brady was moping around a little bit too much).

But I mean most elite QBs have a QB friendly offense around them.  When you have an elite QB you build an offense around him, that's the whole point.  4600 yards and 40 touchdowns is still pretty rare.

And you do have to consider that:

a) This was his first season with Arians and the Bucs and this system

b) Arians probably has an IQ around 75

c) A lot of his top targets now were injured for part of the season or are only now getting up to speed 

d) Since he's had his offense at full strength, he's been putting up video game numbers, which is what you'd sort of expect from the GOAT throwing to a bunch of Hall of Famers 

I think its totally fair to say, 350+ yards and 4 touchdowns a week is made possible by elite targets.  But on the whole I think what he's done this season in his first year in a new system, for the first time in his career, with a dog **** head coach and a bunch of injuries and guys who literally hadn't been on a football field in a year or two is pretty remarkable. 

This is completely fair. But when do you say Tbs offense has been at full strength? The last 3 weeks he’s played atl twice and Detroit.  I’m not giving football outsiders money just for this but I believe that’s two bottom 5 pass d’s? And again, the #s are great and what he’s doing at his age is remarkable, but what were the comments after the kc or rams game? Are these last 3 weeks making people wear rose colored glasses?

Edited by GSUeagles14