Fire Pace and Nagy

beardown3231

I just cannot get over the fact that Pace and his cronies. i.e. Lucas kept it such a secret from even people inside his own organization that he was taking a QB and didn't collaborate with the coaching staff on such a big selection.

That is so so bad. 

Again I'm not mad they took Mitch, I'm mad at the entire process of how they arrived there.

Big thing Bears don't synergize their plan.  They don't have a program. 

Look at idiot things they do.   Fox wasn't Pace pick as HC and MT wasn't Fox pick as QB.  But Fox is MT head coach for a full year.  Wut?  

One guy picks GM, and a search committee picks coach and that coach has to use this DC ... and coaches don't have a lot of say on draft picks and on and on.

That is all just so stupid.  

You know what you get when you do all that stuff?  Back stabbing.  Blame game.  Misused coaching talent.  Directionless scouts.   Players that don't fit a coach or scheme and vis a versa.  People scared to take risks.

What should you do?  

Hire a HC with knowledge and ability to adapt scheme to his talent and vis a versa.  He can run west coast, east coast, north coast, Wish bone, whatever.   He understands defense.  If some new fangled thing comes out he can quickly learn it because he has foundational and historical knowledge of game.   He isn't stubborn and will adapt with times.   He doesn't have to be best or great at any of it.   Hire up and coming coordinators with specialized talent and knowledge and let HC over see them and let them do their thing.   Let his wide knowledge challenge their plans and make them better.   

Have a staff with ability to developing talent, not just hoping for immediate greatness out of box.   Find ways to utilize one or two trick ponies rather than throwing them away because they do some things poorly.    

Do some things outside the box to separate yourself from other teams.   Like find a way to develop foreign talent or talent from other sports.   Have a way to switch a position over time.   Actually develop your practice squad instead of using them as moving dummies for scout.  

Get a GM that understands drafting game and FA.   You draft hard to find positions high unless the player is super special and fill in rest.    You take small school and injured talent in mid to late rounds.   You accumulate picks whenever possible for more shots at board.

You should always have good OTs.    If you have a hole at OT you have a problem.  It is hinge of entire offense.   If you have to spend in FA do it here, but don't have subpar OTs.  

A good OL coach is worth his weight in gold.  Find one and keep him forever.  Pay him more than coordinators if you have to.   

You should always have a good DL.  Doesn't have to be great, but can't be so bad it gets blown off ball or can't protect the LBs.    LBs are products of DL 9x in 10.   You should have always have a ball hawking safety and 2 good corners. 

Find a way to develop QBs in a pipeline.   Not draft one every 5 years and hope and pray and he finds a way to be good.    Don't go after QBs in FA.   Develop them.  It is possible if you keep drafting them.    

QBs make WR not other way around.  Get a good QB and your WRs will look good.  

GM and HC should be on same page and meet and talk constantly.   GM should understand scheme.  GM should be at every grass practice and key meetings.  

Edited by dll2000
too - to
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I just cannot get over the fact that Pace and his cronies. i.e. Lucas kept it such a secret from even people inside his own organization that he was taking a QB and didn't collaborate with the coaching staff on such a big selection.

That is so so bad. 

Again I'm not mad they took Mitch, I'm mad at the entire process of how they arrived there.

When you know your right, but you are in fact totally wrong.

He played himself and it will follow him forever.

From what I recall, the only person Pace told was George McCaskey. He did not want Fox to know whatsoever because John Fox is a notorious blabbermouth; makes sense when you think about how "black ops" Pace likes to be with his dealings in the draft.

8 hours ago, G08 said:

From what I recall, the only person Pace told was George McCaskey. He did not want Fox to know whatsoever because John Fox is a notorious blabbermouth; makes sense when you think about how "black ops" Pace likes to be with his dealings in the draft.

But it illustrates that Fox and Pace were not partners or pulling on same rope in same direction.  That is a recipe for bad things.    HC and GM need to be near husband and wife for true long term success.   

Edited by dll2000

Teams bring in HCs and interview them.   During that interview, I picture that for most orgs., that the HC presents his plan for running team and GM picks his favorite.  

To me that is foolishness.     If that is case HC should be one picking GM not GM picking HC.

If we are choosing GM first or he is in place he should have a plan that the HC fits into and helps implement to its fullest.

Its like a restaurant manager and a master chef relationship.   If they aren't on same page from day one across board it is usually a disaster.    You can have dumb luck or a really talented person that overcomes obstacles of failed relationship, but its just dumb luck or the success will be short lived.    

Pittsburgh doesn't bring in HCs and say we want you to 100% do your thing and teach us along the way. 

But we are going to have this guy do draft and FAs and it may or may not fit what you are doing.   But we like him so there is that. 

But we like you too.   Anyway, Good luck, don't fail us.   You have 3 years and on 4th you will be on hot seat.    

8 hours ago, G08 said:

His results suck. You don’t have to be that secretive, you just have to draft well.

8 hours ago, G08 said:

Live on an island... die on an island.

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

But it illustrates that Fox and Pace were not partners or pulling on same rope in same direction.  That is a recipe for bad things.    HC and GM need to be near husband and wife for true long term success.   

Exactly.  They should have just fired Fox earlier that offseason and hired a new HC that was on the same page as Pace so they could make the QB pick together instead of hiring Nagy a year later and pairing him with a QB that may not have been his first choice.  But this is the Chicago Bears we are talking about...they always do everything backwards and hire people who have the same stupid mindset.

It was the same thing when Phil Emery was hired...they kept Lovie on for another year for no good reason.  Everyone knew he was a dead man coaching. Being fired with a 10-6 record illustrates that perfectly.

I really hope they finally get it right this offseason and wipe the slate entirely clean because there absolutely should be a new GM and HC in place before they select another 1st round QB.  Nothing Pace or Nagy have done inspires any confidence to let them make that next big decision for this franchise.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Fox wasn't long for this job, I think he knew that as well. He was an A to B guy.

The biggest issue is that Pace fell in love with a QB who is not a fit for Matt Nagy's offense, and Matt Nagy either didn't know how to adjust or flat-out refused to adjust.

What I saw last week was more in tune with what I feel Trubisky excels at: emphasis on the run and you build play-action and boots/waggles off it.

Is it too little too late? I don't know... but again, if we finish 9-7 or even 8-8 I don't know if I see Pace/Nagy getting fired. That's just my gut, not necessarily what I want.

2 hours ago, Nads786 said:

His results suck. You don’t have to be that secretive, you just have to draft well.

I'm not sure I agree that is "results suck" if you look at his drafting and FA history:

Khalil Mack, Roquan Smith, Eddie Goldman, Cody Whitehair, James Daniels, David Montgomery, Nick Kwiatkoski, Eddie Jackson, Tarik Cohen (debatable), Adrian Amos, Bilal Nichols, Jordan Howard (for a few seasons, anyway), Danny Trevathan, Akiem Hicks, Allen Robinson, Cordarrelle Patterson.