Week 5: VIKINGS (1-3) at Seahawks (4-0)

swede700

2 hours ago, Cearbhall said:

It would have been more over had he not caught that pass than it was when he did catch it.

I felt bad for Dantzler in that one.  I want to chalk that up to a rookie mistake as he just kinda kept running and played the ball, while Metcalf slowed up two steps and high pointed it.  A more seasoned player probably contests that catch and at least makes it hard.

• Like 1

I still do not get it, why did they not kick the field goal in close to take a 8 point lead?  Then the Seahawks not only have to make a big drive to get a TD but also get a 2 point conversion and even if that it is still only tied.  I still cannot understand that move at all.

Curious why James Lynch did not see more time after that sack he got, wish they would put him into the game more often honestly just to see what he can do as a DT.   Dantzler had a rough day though at CB, Hughes showed up late which was nice to see but they obviously picked on Dantzler the entire game.  

Harrison Smith and Anthony Harris I do expect more from them, Harris could have made a play on the ball to end the game on that final play but missed it, and Harrison Smith missed that big tackle earlier in the game where a guy just ran through him.  I expect more from those veterans out there, especially considering on paper they are arguably the best safety duo in the NFL.  Sucks because apparently Danielle Hunter might sit the entire rest of this season.  

3 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I still do not get it, why did they not kick the field goal in close to take a 8 point lead?  Then the Seahawks not only have to make a big drive to get a TD but also get a 2 point conversion and even if that it is still only tied.  I still cannot understand that move at all.

I don’t think it’s hard to understand. If you get one yard , the game is over, especially considering the way they were running the ball that possession.

If Russell Wilson is your biggest concern, then getting the first down is what removes him from the equation.

Not that it was an easy decision, I would have understood either way.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

If Russell Wilson is your biggest concern, then getting the first down is what removes him from the equation.

This. This is why you go for it. 

The biggest “mistake” was kicking the extra point instead of going for 2 after the 97 yard drive. 

I just caught the game. 

I think we made the right move to run it instead of kick it. I'd rather trust my offense than defense in today's game.

Its a tough loss but there were still a lot of positives in this game. Irv Smith played very well, and Thielen is still a top 10 WR in the league.

The defensive line minus Ngakoue is a weakness. That needs fixed.

The corners need seasoning.

The QB is still the least clutch QB in the NFL.

32 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I don’t think it’s hard to understand. If you get one yard , the game is over, especially considering the way they were running the ball that possession.

Not that it was an easy decision, I would have understood either way.

So you would rather lose the game then, I see.  

No way was that the correct choice, especially considering you have rookie corners out there who cannot hold up.  Kick the field goal and make Seattle do two difficult things, not just one.   Maybe if there was a crazy crowd there or something on the road, go for it, but going into OT is not a bad thing with how they were playing overall with no crowd.  Create scramble situations for Russell Wilson on the last drive to potentially win the game outright, not a great idea at all.  

Oh you cannot give him the ball back?  Well fact is you will give Russell Wilson the ball back in both of those situations unless you made the first down.  Difference is one he has the ball with a chance to win, the other he has the ball with only a chance to tie and even that is only after the two point conversion.  So basically they have to score twice in a red zone situation. 

PS if they were running the ball so well on that possession they would have never gotten to the 4th down by the way, they would have already got it or got into the end zone.    

4 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

So you would rather lose the game then, I see.  

No way was that the correct choice, especially considering you have rookie corners out there who cannot hold up.  Kick the field goal and make Seattle do two difficult things, not just one.   Maybe if there was a crazy crowd there or something on the road, go for it, but going into OT is not a bad thing with how they were playing overall with no crowd.  Create scramble situations for Russell Wilson on the last drive to potentially win the game outright, not a great idea at all.  

Oh you cannot give him the ball back?  Well fact is you will give Russell Wilson the ball back in both of those situations unless you made the first down.  Difference is one he has the ball with a chance to win, the other he has the ball with only a chance to tie and even that is only after the two point conversion.  So basically they have to score twice in a red zone situation. 

PS if they were running the ball so well on that possession they would have never gotten to the 4th down by the way, they would have already got it or got into the end zone.    

You act like converting was a slim possibility. 

They didn't go for it on 4th and 5 from midfield for the hell of it.  

9 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

You act like converting was a slim possibility. 

They didn't go for it on 4th and 5 from midfield for the hell of it.  

They did that?  Well if so that was a completely different situation, you will not make a field goal from mid field obviously, from the what 10 yard line, yeah it is good.  At least have some confidence in the defense to say hey we are up by 8 now you go score a TD and a two point conversion from 80 yards out.  It is not that easy to do it and if they did they still could have won the game in OT, they put the defense in an end game situation and the game was ended based on their play. 

They could have avoided that and extended the game in a crowdless arena.  My guess is though make the field goal and the motivation for Seattle on that last drive would be a little less because it was not a game winning situation just game tying.  Sure making that 4th and 1 would have been better and ended it, but again it would have been obviously harder for Seattle if they kicked it, because they would have had to do a lot more, score TD, two point and win in OT.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

They did that?  Well if so that was a completely different situation, you will not make a field goal from mid field obviously, from the what 10 yard line, yeah it is good.  At least have some confidence in the defense to say hey we are up by 8 now you go score a TD and a two point conversion from 80 yards out.  It is not that easy to do it and if they did they still could have won the game in OT, they put the defense in an end game situation and the game was ended based on their play. 

They could have avoided that and extended the game in a crowdless arena.  My guess is though make the field goal and the motivation for Seattle on that last drive would be a little less because it was not a game winning situation just game tying.  Sure making that 4th and 1 would have been better and ended it, but again it would have been obviously harder for Seattle if they kicked it, because they would have had to do a lot more, score TD, two point and win in OT.  

They also would have had better field position if the Vikings had kicked it.  I don't know why gib for the tie would make them less motivated.  

Not getting the 4th down made for a more difficult TD drive than if they started at the 25 imo. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

That’s why you go for it. Play to win. 

Play to win is great, but in that specific situation it is the wrong choice for the reasons I said.  They made it pretty easy for Seattle to win the game, sure they had to drive the length of the field but also had to do only one hard thing to win compared to three hard things.  

Just now, vikesfan89 said:

They also would have had better field position if the Vikings had kicked it.  I don't know why gib for the tie would make them less motivated.  

Not getting the 4th down made for a more difficult TD drive than if they started at the 25 imo. 

They could have been less motivated because they could not win the game on just a TD, they would have had to accomplish two other things before winning the game is even a possibility, so it gave them hope.  From that perspective alone, no way is driving 90 yards to get a TD harder than driving 75-80 yards to get a TD, get a two point conversion then go into overtime and score again.  

10 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Based on what data?

Data?  Sorry I am not a computer.  But getting a TD 80+ yards away, getting a two point conversion then scoring again in over time is harder to accomplish than getting one drive for 94 yards and not even needing a two point conversion or extra point to win the game.

3 is more than 1 thus to me it is harder to do.  Playing to win?  Maybe but to me the Vikings have no faith in their defense, which then makes the defense even less confident it their abilities.  It also gave the best QB in the league currently a chance to win the game outright in regulation, the other option would not have given them that chance at all, and thus to me would have been harder to do in an empty stadium.  Again maybe if that place was crazy loud and tons of people there, OT would have been hard, but that was not the case.