2021 Draft Thread

John232

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Mel getting feisty in his first mock draft. Has Smith going #2 to the jets. 

Still don't understand why the Falcons go QB. I suppose just for the scarcity, but they are really going to waste two years of a rookie deal that way (he has Atlanta taking Wilson #4). Kind of the same for the Lions (he has them taking Fields) but at least hte Lions could maybe make that work. 

He's got us taking Surtain, which I'm good with, though should be noted that he has Farley falling all the way to 16 

Farley has a lot of raw potential but Surtain is so much more polished. Not saying Surtain will be the best corner of the last three or so drafts, but I feel more confident he will be a good corner from day one than any of the other recent corners to come out. Just sound technique and IQ all around.

Horn may be my favorite corner of this draft though. Again, a lot of Jaire Alexander vibes I get from watching him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Farley has a lot of raw potential but Surtain is so much more polished. Not saying Surtain will be the best corner of the last three or so drafts, but I feel more confident he will be a good corner from day one than any of the other recent corners to come out. Just sound technique and IQ all around.

Horn may be my favorite corner of this draft though. Again, a lot of Jaire Alexander vibes I get from watching him. 

He's so grabby. Reminds me a lot of rhodes. I think he'll be good, but I don't love him at 12. Would move down to take him

33 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I mean he's a super physical corner so he will get his fair share of penalties, but that's fine. He's a straight dog and will be a good one. 

Oh, I wasn't saying it as a negative. I liked Rhodes as a prospect and he was very good for a time. But I do think there's going to be a period of adjustment for sure

I'm a Farley guy. Big, physical, can tackle and is pretty fluid in and out of breaks for a guy with his length. I never worry about technique with CBs as they should improve with pro coaching. Farley looks great in zone, which i think tends to get overlooked when evaulating guys for this scheme.

Surtain certainly has the linegae and his tape is great. But just from the naked eye stainpoint he doesn't impress me as much as Farley. Its like when Stefon Diggs was a prospect it was just something about his movements, his body control in and out of breaks that just wowed me more than most, therefore, I liked him more than most. I get those same vibes with Farley.

I'm not as big on the S. Carolina CBs. They both have great length but both are stiff and lack fluidity for me.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wait, hold up now! I've actually never watched this guy at all but looks intriguing. 

Looks like another Dee Ford type of edge??? 

Oh Ojulari has some big hype. From film standpoint, he's fun. This game against uc was mostly against a backup tackle though. It's fun to watch, but there is more impressive competition tape out there

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Oh Ojulari has some big hype. From film standpoint, he's fun. This game against uc was mostly against a backup tackle though. It's fun to watch, but there is more impressive competition tape out there

I just saw some more of his highlights and he definitely has some Burns/Ford in him. I know you aren't high on Paye, but his three cone was ridiculous and I think you believe in someone with that type of talent. Actually some really good edge options in the first round as well as OL and some corners. We all like Surtain and have some slightly disagreements on Horn/Farley, but those are all good players at a position of need. The OL in the first half looks awesome with Sewell, Slater and Darrishaw. I don't know about the interior OL depth, but no way we would take that position early anyways. Maybe we can trade down a bit and still take one of these guys. But the three or so edge players I've seen some of look good. They are the bendy explosive edge rushers that we need. I don't know if Ojulari looks like a three down player, especially early on but that's not a problem really. 

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I just saw some more of his highlights and he definitely has some Burns/Ford in him. I know you aren't high on Paye, but his three cone was ridiculous and I think you believe in someone with that type of talent. Actually some really good edge options in the first round as well as OL and some corners. We all like Surtain and have some slightly disagreements on Horn/Farley, but those are all good players at a position of need. The OL in the first half looks awesome with Sewell, Slater and Darrishaw. I don't know about the interior OL depth, but no way we would take that position early anyways. Maybe we can trade down a bit and still take one of these guys. But the three or so edge players I've seen some of look good. They are the bendy explosive edge rushers that we need. I don't know if Ojulari looks like a three down player, especially early on but that's not a problem really. 

The main problem that I have with the edge class is that I *love* the day 2 edge class. Depth is great. I think that there's a huge drop off in the corner class after the top 3, though I'm really interested in DJ Daniel and Keith Taylor (Also Molden, though he's a slot exclusive)  so from an efficiency standpoint, I think you get better value if you get one of the top 2 corners at 12 and then go edge in round 2. 

I get the attraction to Paye. I wouldn't hate the pick, and I think he's probably anywhere between 10-16 so it's right in terms of value...I just don't love him. The lack of production weirdly reminds me of another UM guy who was lauded for his traits in Gary. There's another guy in round 2 in Oweh who has similar issues (lack of production but freakish athletic traits). I mean, damn...I really like that day 2 class. Roche could be a hard worker type, Weaver looked damn good. Just some really interesting guys there. 

Tackle is a mixed bag because I don't think Tucker or Slater or tackles, which lightens the positional oomph. My guy Spencer Brown is who I want on Day 2. If we can trade up in the third for him, I'm all in. I think he'll be there. Opted out this year, but he's got shut down tackle potential in my opinion. Project, no doubt...but damn, he could be good. Was trained by Joe Staley this year (as was Cosmi). If we lose Trent, I think Darrisaw is probably my guy to replace him in the draft at 12 if you go tackle. I really don't think that Slater ends up as a tackle at the next level. I think he could be a very good center / guard, but he's not even long for his size and he's already kind of undersized for a tackle as is. Vera-Tucker is also likely headed for the interior as opposed to the outside in my opinion. Day 2 / Day 3 is fine for interior guys imo. I don't think we'll draft a center to start anyway, and I think guard isn't a position that Shanny will prioritize. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

The main problem that I have with the edge class is that I *love* the day 2 edge class. Depth is great. I think that there's a huge drop off in the corner class after the top 3, though I'm really interested in DJ Daniel and Keith Taylor (Also Molden, though he's a slot exclusive)  so from an efficiency standpoint, I think you get better value if you get one of the top 2 corners at 12 and then go edge in round 2. 

I get the attraction to Paye. I wouldn't hate the pick, and I think he's probably anywhere between 10-16 so it's right in terms of value...I just don't love him. The lack of production weirdly reminds me of another UM guy who was lauded for his traits in Gary. There's another guy in round 2 in Oweh who has similar issues (lack of production but freakish athletic traits). I mean, damn...I really like that day 2 class. Roche could be a hard worker type, Weaver looked damn good. Just some really interesting guys there. 

Tackle is a mixed bag because I don't think Tucker or Slater or tackles, which lightens the positional oomph. My guy Spencer Brown is who I want on Day 2. If we can trade up in the third for him, I'm all in. I think he'll be there. Opted out this year, but he's got shut down tackle potential in my opinion. Project, no doubt...but damn, he could be good. Was trained by Joe Staley this year (as was Cosmi). If we lose Trent, I think Darrisaw is probably my guy to replace him in the draft at 12 if you go tackle. I really don't think that Slater ends up as a tackle at the next level. I think he could be a very good center / guard, but he's not even long for his size and he's already kind of undersized for a tackle as is. Vera-Tucker is also likely headed for the interior as opposed to the outside in my opinion. Day 2 / Day 3 is fine for interior guys imo. I don't think we'll draft a center to start anyway, and I think guard isn't a position that Shanny will prioritize. 

The thing with Slater is with the way he moves and his great footwork, he's made for the Shanny scheme. I disgeee that he can’t play tackle, but even if he is moved to guard, he can be a top notch guard.

I haven't seen enough of the day 2 edge players you mentioned but good to hear.

I will disagree on Gary and Paye comparisons due to one being able to bend in a way the other couldn't. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

In my eyes if Isaiah Wynn can stay at tackle in the NFL then Slater sure can. Is he a bit undersized from a traditional standpoint? Yeah probably but his technique and understanding of how to eliminate the armlength advantage from the guy opposite him is at a very high level. He has really quick feet and is so technically sound he would be a great fit for this offense. 

• Like 1