2021 Draft Thread

John232

4 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Question for the masses:

It seems like Zach Wilson is the consensus favorite QB prospect among our group, but it looks like he's not going to last past the 2nd pick in the draft. 

Fields is most likely going to be scooped up next somewhere between picks 4-8, which leaves Lance and Jones as the next two QBs available. 

Let's say both of these guys are sitting there at pick 12. Who is the more attractive prospect?  

Neither of them is worth the 12th overall pick. That's a easy pass for me on both.

After the top two, you're taking a HUGE risk gambling on a QB within the top 20...that's just my personal take on this crop of QBs. I'd be furious if we ended up reaching for a QB@12. Especially with the starters we're about to lose defensively. 

You want to draft a guy rounds 2-5 that might have some upside with development and could challenge for a back-up role in the meantime. Strengthen the QB room and move off of guys like Beat Hard and Mullens who just aren't viable NFL QBs imo.

But if we're not trading up for either Wilson or Lawrence, we need to stay away from QBs in round one completely...that's my take.

• Like 1

@757-NINER I agree with you about not drafting mac jones at 12 and about not trading up for Lance. I would seriously consider Lance if he falls to 12, but that is predicated on him doing well during draft season. 

I do agree with you that I think we go defense again (or LT) if we stay at 12

With that being said, I think fields would be worthy of a trade up. He has all of the tools and just needs to put it all together in terms of the nuance it takes to play QB in the NFL. He has great mechanics, a great arm, and is the type of athlete that we probably need behind our OL that struggles in pass pro. He is the complete package. I cant stress enough how much his mechanics are what I love about him. His throwing motion is very repeatable, his feet are tied in well with his hands. He can make all of the throws and is good on the run. 

He has struggled with timing and we have a timing offense, so you would think that would mean he would not be a good schematic fit, but I actually believe that he can learn those types of things with the right coach. 

It would be a swing for the fences, but the upside justifies it imo. He really is the type of QB prospect that we wont have another swing at for the foreseeable future, because we hopefully wont be drafting near the top 10 and this is a good QB draft at the top, with a funky draft season, meaning hopefully someone will slide a bit farther than a different year

If fields was coming out in 22, he would certainly be considered for the #1 overall pick and would absolutely go top 3, without question. if he falls to #6/7 lets say, go get him and dont overthink it. 

I think all of the darnold talk is happening because the jets are taking wilson. I think Saleh learned from the mistake kyle made of trying to get cute and taking a defensive player when your franchise needs a top level QB and you are picking in the top 5. I still cant believe we didnt even scout QBs that year. smfh

• Like 3

6 hours ago, N4L said:

@757-NINER I agree with you about not drafting mac jones at 12 and about not trading up for Lance. I would seriously consider Lance if he falls to 12, but that is predicated on him doing well during draft season. 

I do agree with you that I think we go defense again (or LT) if we stay at 12

With that being said, I think fields would be worthy of a trade up. He has all of the tools and just needs to put it all together in terms of the nuance it takes to play QB in the NFL. He has great mechanics, a great arm, and is the type of athlete that we probably need behind our OL that struggles in pass pro. He is the complete package. I cant stress enough how much his mechanics are what I love about him. His throwing motion is very repeatable, his feet are tied in well with his hands. He can make all of the throws and is good on the run. 

He has struggled with timing and we have a timing offense, so you would think that would mean he would not be a good schematic fit, but I actually believe that he can learn those types of things with the right coach. 

It would be a swing for the fences, but the upside justifies it imo. He really is the type of QB prospect that we wont have another swing at for the foreseeable future, because we hopefully wont be drafting near the top 10 and this is a good QB draft at the top, with a funky draft season, meaning hopefully someone will slide a bit farther than a different year

If fields was coming out in 22, he would certainly be considered for the #1 overall pick and would absolutely go top 3, without question. if he falls to #6/7 lets say, go get him and dont overthink it. 

I think all of the darnold talk is happening because the jets are taking wilson. I think Saleh learned from the mistake kyle made of trying to get cute and taking a defensive player when your franchise needs a top level QB and you are picking in the top 5. I still cant believe we didnt even scout QBs that year. smfh

Lost among all of the Daronld talk is that we already have a "broken" high draft pick QB who Kyle can try to fix in Rosen.

Yeah at 12 all things considered such as resigning Trent Williams, I would not mind us throwing a bone at Trey Lance. After what has happened with Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen; Why not?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Lost among all of the Daronld talk is that we already have a "broken" high draft pick QB who Kyle can try to fix in Rosen.

Yeah at 12 all things considered such as resigning Trent Williams, I would not mind us throwing a bone at Trey Lance. After what has happened with Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen; Why not?

Mahomes as a passer entering the draft was light years ahead of where Lance is. It's not even a fair comparison...like at all. And Lance doesn't have the same type of arm talent. 

I was a bigger Allen fan than most. So even though he was raw, I felt he had a ton of upside that would take a few years to see manifest. And again, elite arm talent. I can't put Lance in that same box as a prospect. 

Its all subjective at the end of the day. I can see where ppl like @N4L are coming from and want to take a chance on the position.

I personally feel that its just not worth it with the holes that we have to go QB@12. As much as I want to move off of Jimmy, I can't let that cloud my evaluation of guys. If Jimmy is indeed the QB for us in 2021, it's probably more important to find a quality LT or shore up the secondary more so than finding his heir apparent.  I understand the importance of securing our QBOTF. But I don't want us to do what the rest of the league does when trying to fix the position through the draft and reach for a prospect becasue we happen to be picking early enough.

• Like 2

Will we have a shot at Fields? Assuming Lawrence & Wilson go 1-2.

I can see the Eagles, Lions, Panthers, & Broncos interested in a QB. If they all like him, we'd have to jump in front to at least #5 and potentially compete with their trade-up offers. 

I don't see Miami making a move for Fields, but if they trade for Watson and give up 3...i could see the Texans using #3 on Fields 

Edited by 49ersfan

23 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I can see the Eagles, Lions, Panthers, & Broncos interested in a QB. If they all like him, we'd have to jump in front to at least #5 and potentially compete with their trade-up offers. 

I don't see Miami making a move for Fields, but if they trade for Watson and give up 3...i could see the Texans using #3 on Fields 

Really don't see it for the Eagles and Lions. Eagles have Hurts who they drafted last year in the 2nd and Lions must really like Goff to have him included in that Stafford trade. Panthers and Broncos are options for sure alltough if the Senior Bowl rumble is real Matt Rhule really likes Mac Jones.

1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Here's my thoughts on the top 11 and their chances of taking a QB:

1. Jags - 100% taking Lawrence

2. Jets - Sounds like Wilson could be their guy. Or, if they keep Darnold, they could trade down for someone who wants Wilson or Fields. It's safe to say the #2 pick will most likely be a QB

3. Dolphins - If they keep the pick, it's Chase IMO. If they trade it to the Texans for Watson, I think the #3 QB goes here.

4. Falcons - I don't think it's a QB here. I'm thinking Sewell, Slater, or Pitts

5. Bengals - Same as the Falcons

6. Eagles - They're rolling with Hurts as the starter for sure. I think they take the top offensive weapon available here.

7. Lions - They could take one of the corners here or an offensive weapon

8. Panthers - Wilson/Fields absolute floor. If the top two QBs go prior to this pick, the #3 QB is taken here.

9. Broncos - I've read that it's either Watson or Lock for the Broncos. No rookie QB taken here. I think they go defense with this pick.

10. Cowboys - I'm thinking either OT or CB at this pick. Or, if Pitts falls here, I could see them taking him.

11. Giants - If Micah Parsons is still here, Gettleman will have a chub. If Waddle, Chase, or Smith are still on the board, they might go in that direction. Can't rule out corner either.

I see picks 4-7 as prime trading partners to jump up and take Fields or Wilson, if that's what the Niners want. If we stay at 12 and Slater, Surtain, and maybe Farley are still on the board, I'd strongly consider them. But, I think my preference would be to trade down from 12 as the value and the prospects aren't great in our position.

• Like 1

Just now, NinerNation21 said:

Here's my thoughts on the top 11 and their chances of taking a QB:

1. Jags - 100% taking Lawrence

2. Jets - Sounds like Wilson could be their guy. Or, if they keep Darnold, they could trade down for someone who wants Wilson or Fields. It's safe to say the #2 pick will most likely be a QB

3. Dolphins - If they keep the pick, it's Chase IMO. If they trade it to the Texans for Watson, I think the #3 QB goes here.

4. Falcons - I don't think it's a QB here. I'm thinking Sewell, Slater, or Pitts

5. Bengals - Same as the Falcons

6. Eagles - They're rolling with Hurts as the starter for sure. I think they take the top offensive weapon available here.

7. Lions - They could take one of the corners here or an offensive weapon. Goff punts the QB situation down the road for another year or two.

8. Panthers - Wilson/Fields absolute floor. If the top two QBs go prior to this pick, the #3 QB is taken here.

9. Broncos - I've read that it's either Watson or Lock for the Broncos. No rookie QB taken here. I think they go defense with this pick.

10. Cowboys - I'm thinking either OT or CB at this pick. Or, if Pitts falls here, I could see them taking him.

11. Giants - If Micah Parsons is still here, Gettleman will have a chub. If Waddle, Chase, or Smith are still on the board, they might go in that direction. Can't rule out corner either.

I see picks 4-7 as prime trading partners to jump up and take Fields or Wilson, if that's what the Niners want. If we stay at 12 and Slater, Surtain, and maybe Farley are still on the board, I'd strongly consider them. But, I think my preference would be to trade down from 12 as the value and the prospects aren't great in our position.

No doubt about it, I'm 100% trading up for Wilson or Fields if I can. 

After that I'm sort of meh. I haven't decided what to do with Lance yet, and I have this weird suspicion that we could see him fall down boards, I don't know. I've sort of made my preference known that if we don't get those guys, I'd just punt hte position and do the best I can to put a better team around JImmy this year. I Think its going to be a funky transition year regardless, but either lean into it and embrace it, or push back against it 100%. My fear is that the niners will try and do a little of both. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

No doubt about it, I'm 100% trading up for Wilson or Fields if I can. 

After that I'm sort of meh. I haven't decided what to do with Lance yet, and I have this weird suspicion that we could see him fall down boards, I don't know. I've sort of made my preference known that if we don't get those guys, I'd just punt hte position and do the best I can to put a better team around JImmy this year. I Think its going to be a funky transition year regardless, but either lean into it and embrace it, or push back against it 100%. My fear is that the niners will try and do a little of both. 

So, trading up for #2 would cost so much premium draft capital, but the choice between Wilson and Fields could be too good to pass up. 

Trading for, say, #7 sounds more realistic if either of the two are still there. If Fields is sitting there at #7, I'd give our 1st and 3rd this year and our first next for #7.

If Lawrence, Wilson and Fields are taken 1,2, and 3. I'd start looking for trade down partners. 

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

So, trading up for #2 would cost so much premium draft capital, but the choice between Wilson and Fields could be too good to pass up. 

Trading for, say, #7 sounds more realistic if either of the two are still there. If Fields is sitting there at #7, I'd give our 1st and 3rd this year and our first next for #7.

If Lawrence, Wilson and Fields are taken 1,2, and 3. I'd start looking for trade down partners. 

I'm like halfway there with you. I don't start looking for trade down partners unless Sewell, Surtain, Farley, QBs & maybe Slater (I say maybe because I'm not so sure Slater is that much better than Vera Tucker who projects similarly) are off the board. After that, I feel like we are at the top of a tier, and I kind of never want to to draft at the top of a tier. 

• Like 1

On 2/12/2021 at 12:12 PM, Forge said:

I'm like halfway there with you. I don't start looking for trade down partners unless Sewell, Surtain, Farley, QBs & maybe Slater (I say maybe because I'm not so sure Slater is that much better than Vera Tucker who projects similarly) are off the board. After that, I feel like we are at the top of a tier, and I kind of never want to to draft at the top of a tier. 

I was thinking about this over the weekend and I really feel like we're stuck in no man's land with the 12th pick. As of right now, I think these are my top choices for the 1st round:

• Trade our 1st, 2nd, 5th this year and 1st & 4th next year for the Jet's 1st and 6th this year to choose between Wilson or Fields.
  • Trade our 1st & 2nd this year and our 1st next year for the Eagles or Lions 1st to take either Wilson or Fields, which ever is still on the board.
  • Trade down with someone looking to move up
  • Stay pat and take a CB, EDGE, OL, or QB

I'm leaning toward the first two. I really don't like the idea of staying at #12 right now. The board is awful for us at #12.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I was thinking about this over the weekend and I really feel like we're stuck in no man's land with the 12th pick. As of right now, I think these are my top choices for the 1st round:

• Trade our 1st, 2nd, 5th this year and 1st & 4th next year for the Jet's 1st and 6th this year to choose between Wilson or Fields.
  • Trade our 1st & 2nd this year and our 1st next year for the Eagles or Lions 1st to take either Wilson or Fields, which ever is still on the board.
  • Trade down with someone looking to move up
  • Stay pat and take a CB, EDGE, OL, or QB

I'm leaning toward the first two. I really don't like the idea of staying at #12 right now. The board is awful for us at #12.

It's a weird spot for sure. It's one of those funny things because I liked the spot last year at 13. I thought we were right at the end of the second tier of guys and I was stoked. This year I think that there's a good shot that none of the second tier guys are there when we pick and we will need to get some draft luck to get guys I find worth that pick. To me, guys like Horn are just big reaches here and look through this thread, I really like Horn LOL. I know that some people don't think that taking a guy you like at 22 (arbitrary) at 12 is that big of a deal, but I really feel like that's a whole lot of value just being wasted. If I think that a guy should be drafted around 22, I'm trading down and I'm perfectly okay with losing him if someone decides to reach. I simply don't think the top of this draft is great. If guys I feel aren't worth that pick aren't here, I'm just moving back, even if it's at a discount. 

I'd Love to move up for a QB, I just think that there's almost no shot of it happening. If I were to put random arbitrary percentages on it, I'd say < 3% that we move up for a QB. I'd put it at less than 20% that we would take a QB at 12 without trading up if Lance / Jones are there. I really just don't think that is something we are all that interested in. I think this team is trying to win now. 

In terms of the QB, I think that 3 are gone in the top 4 with Carolina trading up from their spot with either Miami or Atlanta. I think it becomes interesting in that 8-12 spot for teams picking 19+ to come up and get a guy as well. I think the Bears / Indy get Wentz, so one of them is out.

Right now, I have my group of guys that I want to take at 12 and then everything after that is just a flat trade down scenario. All of the guys I think are worth the pick could easily be gone in the top 11. Best case scenario for us is probably that Lance / Jones is there at 12, all of the guys that we are interested are gone (2 corners, tackles, etc) and we can get a mini bidding war for the pick and end up with something like Chicago 1st, Chicago 3rd, Next year's 2nd to drop from 12 to 20. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's a weird spot for sure. It's one of those funny things because I liked the spot last year at 13. I thought we were right at the end of the second tier of guys and I was stoked. This year I think that there's a good shot that none of the second tier guys are there when we pick and we will need to get some draft luck to get guys I find worth that pick. To me, guys like Horn are just big reaches here and look through this thread, I really like Horn LOL. I know that some people don't think that taking a guy you like at 22 (arbitrary) at 12 is that big of a deal, but I really feel like that's a whole lot of value just being wasted. If I think that a guy should be drafted around 22, I'm trading down and I'm perfectly okay with losing him if someone decides to reach. I simply don't think the top of this draft is great. If guys I feel aren't worth that pick aren't here, I'm just moving back, even if it's at a discount. 

I'd Love to move up for a QB, I just think that there's almost no shot of it happening. If I were to put random arbitrary percentages on it, I'd say < 3% that we move up for a QB. I'd put it at less than 20% that we would take a QB at 12 without trading up if Lance / Jones are there. I really just don't think that is something we are all that interested in. I think this team is trying to win now. 

In terms of the QB, I think that 3 are gone in the top 4 with Carolina trading up from their spot with either Miami or Atlanta. I think it becomes interesting in that 8-12 spot for teams picking 19+ to come up and get a guy as well. I think the Bears / Indy get Wentz, so one of them is out.

Right now, I have my group of guys that I want to take at 12 and then everything after that is just a flat trade down scenario. All of the guys I think are worth the pick could easily be gone in the top 11. Best case scenario for us is probably that Lance / Jones is there at 12, all of the guys that we are interested are gone (2 corners, tackles, etc) and we can get a mini bidding war for the pick and end up with something like Chicago 1st, Chicago 3rd, Next year's 2nd to drop from 12 to 20. 

We're of the same mind. 

Who are the guys you feel comfortable taking at 12?

• Like 1