2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 minute ago, GW21 said:

I think if Williams leaves in FA our pick will be Darrisaw. I know that's not an overly exciting pick, but the value in a high end LT is certainly worthy of the #12 pick and Shanny / Lynch have shown that they value tackles. 

I'd be happy with the pick even if we signed Williams and out Darrisaw at Guard for a year.

53 minutes ago, P_locniners said:

Rodgers, Waddle, Toney or Rondale Moore would all be perfect.........I just don't see us drafting a WR that early at this point

I think Rodgers is going late day 2 early day 3 right now. I think we could get a shot at him. The rest I agree are going to go too early. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I think Rodgers is going late day 2 early day 3 right now. I think we could get a shot at him. The rest I agree are going to go too early. 

I would say that not having a traditional combine hurts Rodgers, because I think he could have gained a lot of ground in that process. I know some form of process is still gonna go down, but it wont be the same. 

So I can agree that he may be drafted later than sooner

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Yea Rodgers should be available Day 2 at the least. He did turn some heads@the Senior Bowl so who knows what might happen. But I'm hoping he's still around in Round 3. Don't see us going WR earlier than that.

1 hour ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the consensus on Lance is he needs to sit a year, correct? If so, that would mean Jimmy is still our starting QB for another year. But it would (potentially) solve our QB problem long-term.

And knowing Shanny, he'll probably trade up for his guy. He doesn't want to risk losing anyone he has his heart set on. For better (Brandon Aiyuk) or worse (Joe Williams, CJ Betheard, Dante Pettis)

Edited by 49ersfan

20 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

Correct me if i'm wrong, but the consensus on Lance is he needs to sit a year, correct? If so, that would mean Jimmy is still our starting QB for another year. But it would (potentially) solve our QB problem long-term.

And knowing Shanny, he'll probably trade up for his guy. He doesn't want to risk losing anyone he has his heart set on. For better (Brandon Aiyuk) or worse (Joe Williams, CJ Betheard, Dante Pettis)

How could you forget Rueben Foster?! What shoulder?! 

I think Lance could play early if you needed him to, but his lack of starts scares some people and he is only 20 years old (won't be 21 until May). I think he's got the body of a NFL QB already, so I think he could take the punishment from day one if need be. The mental aspect is really where that thought comes from though. I think Shanny has shown he can 'dumb down' his offense for a QB when needed though. RG3 started from day 1 and was excellent and Jimmy G played pretty solid in those last 6(?) games when we first acquired him. I would not be opposed to bringing in Lance even if we decided to play him from day one. I don't expect it, but it would be exciting. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Yeah I'm buying into the idea of drafting Lance let him sit as long as Jimmy stays healthy if not the whole year ala Alex Smith and Mahomes. Let him learn the offense slowly and trade Jimmy or cut him 2022. But again I think Lance could start if we needed too. Kyle has shown to change if needed like others have said in this thread. 

• Like 1

On 2/16/2021 at 9:01 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we don't trade for Watson or take a QB in the first round, I bet Mills will be one of Shanny's targets in the 3rd round. Even if Jimmy is the QB, I bet Shanny will still draft a rookie in the draft to go alongside Rosen. Beathard/Mullens aren't going to return to the room. 

Davis Mills is the only QB I really want outside of the 1st round. I think this guy has a LOT of potential and he never gives up. Love that about him. 

I had not scouted mills until tonight. 

I like his release, it's very easy and compact and it looks like it jumps out of his hands when he is throwing down field. Uses a lot of touch underneath. Has a good feel for defenders and throwing into windows. He is a timing QB and does a good job executing playcalls.

I know a lot of people want us to get an athlete at QB. I understand the reasoning and agree on a lot of levels (one of which is that our OL cant pass block worth a damn). With that being said, I am not sure kyle will make it a priority to get an athlete. He has only ever wanted pocket passers, so I think its safe to say whomever we draft will also be able to throw from the pocket efficiently.

So far, Kyle has only wanted a guy to run his offense. Maybe that mindset has changed, maybe he realizes it's also great to have a QB who can make plays on his own (ie with his legs) but maybe not. We really don't know what Kyle is thinking. What I do know is that Davis Mills looks exactly like the QBs that Kyle has liked in the past. 

I read something recently about why he liked cousins coming out of the draft, and it was partly due to the fact Michigan state played a pro style offense that used a lot of play action and kyle could easily see how cousins fit within his offense. I feel like the same thing will happen here. Stanford is a 'pro style' offense, its easy to see how a lot of this stuff translates. 

We very well may be on the market for 2 QBs this year. I would not be thrilled if this was the only QB we added in the draft, but in the 6th round? I am way in on Davis Mills. In the event we go a different direction at 12 and do not make a trade for watson, let him compete against rosen and cj for QB3 along with another rookie.

I dont know much about him other than the two full games I watched. only 9 more to see his whole college career! lol that plus the injuries will push him way down teams draft boards. He seems like that part of the 6th and 7th round where you just take a guy because you like him, not because he is the best player remaining, or because he fits your scheme, but mainly just because you think he has a chance to actually stay on a roster for more than 2 seasons. I feel like thats the sweet spot for him, because I do think this guy can play QB in the league if developed properly.  

• Like 2

We'll see if we have interest in any mid round QB types in this draft. If we sign a legit back up QB (think Dalton, Fitzmagic, etc) then I think it's unlikely we will even look at a guy in the round 3-5 range. I think we'd likely only look at round 7 / UDFA and just treat Rosen as our young, developmental prospect. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

I agree 100 percent I think the earliest I would be willing to move up is 6. The value of getting into the top 5 is going to be expensive. I don't expect Wilson to be there but 100 percent ok with moving up to 6 for Fields. Lance I'd prefer to just hope he's there at 12 unless they just fall in love with him then I'm fine with moving into the top 10 for him. 

The blueprint for a trade up for us would be the 2018 draft-day trade between the Bills and the Bucs. The bills were sitting at #12 and wanted to move up for Josh Allen, so they traded with the Bucs to get #7. Very comparable to our situation right now. These are the trade details:

Bills traded:

• 2018 1st (#12)
  • 2018 2nd (#53)
  • 2018 2nd (#56)

Bucs traded: 

• 2018 1st (#7)
  • 2018 7th (#255)

So, if we were to construct a trade with the Eagles (#6) or the Lions (#7), this is what I think would be realistic:

49ers traded:

• 2021 1st (#12)
  • 2021 2nd (#43)
  • 2022 3rd (pick in the 80's or 90's range)

Lions traded:

• 2021 1st (#7)
  • 2022 6th 

I'd do this deal in a heartbeat to grab one of Wilson or Fields at #7. I don't see anyone behind us trading up this high for one of the QBs, but I am worried about the Panthers being aggressive and moving up to #4. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

The blueprint for a trade up for us would be the 2018 draft-day trade between the Bills and the Bucs. The bills were sitting at #12 and wanted to move up for Josh Allen, so they traded with the Bucs to get #7. Very comparable to our situation right now. These are the trade details:

Bills traded:

• 2018 1st (#12)
  • 2018 2nd (#53)
  • 2018 2nd (#56)

Bucs traded: 

• 2018 1st (#7)
  • 2018 7th (#255)

So, if we were to construct a trade with the Eagles (#6) or the Lions (#7), this is what I think would be realistic:

49ers traded:

• 2021 1st (#12)
  • 2021 2nd (#43)
  • 2022 3rd (pick in the 80's or 90's range)

Lions traded:

• 2021 1st (#7)
  • 2022 6th 

I'd do this deal in a heartbeat to grab one of Wilson or Fields at #7. I don't see anyone behind us trading up this high for one of the QBs, but I am worried about the Panthers being aggressive and moving up to #4. 

I think if we are moving to 6/7, we are giving up next years first. Going to be lots of teams interested in potentially moving up into that spot, especially Carolina and other QB needy teams. One of the reasons I don't believe that we are moving up at all. especially since I don't think that we ware desperate for the QB. 

If a team like Carolina moves into the top 4 and the top 3 QBs are gone, I don't know that we make that type of move for the 4th qb in the draft anyway.