2021 Draft Thread

John232

1 hour ago, Justone2 said:

Wouldn't worry too much on the 3-4 OLB or 4-3 DE thing personally. We need a edge rusher than can bring soms speed and in most cases those guys will be typecast as 3-4 OLB's because they don't hold up on the edge in the run game as much. However for us we use a big end on most plays anyway and whoever we draft will not be a full time player because of that. 

I tend to agree with that for the most part, but when you have a guy like Rashed who has the speed and burst off the edge and usually plays with his hand in the dirt, I would lean in his direction over some of the other guys who haven't.

In the end, we're only looking for a 3rd-down pass rusher opposite of Bosa. This rookie won't be asked to play much on base downs right away outside of needing to give Bosa and Armstead breathers. 

• Like 1

I kind of hate this draft for what we are need and where we are drafting unless it breaks right. Especially given that I Don't think we are moving for a QB. 

Slater / Sewell / Surtain / Farley. I legitimately don't want anyone else at 12 as I don't know that it's worth it. I like Horn, 12 is too early. I'd rather go edge on day 2. Slater works because even if we re-sign Williams, he can play guard or potentially center before taking over for McG the following season. Sewell would just be a BPA situation. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

I kind of hate this draft for what we are need and where we are drafting unless it breaks right. Especially given that I Don't think we are moving for a QB. 

Slater / Sewell / Surtain / Farley. I legitimately don't want anyone else at 12 as I don't know that it's worth it. I like Horn, 12 is too early. I'd rather go edge on day 2. Slater works because even if we re-sign Williams, he can play guard or potentially center before taking over for McG the following season. Sewell would just be a BPA situation. 

Honestly, I think we go Lance before we go Fields..if Fields is even there, I could see us passing on them. But regardless, the odds of us being able to grab a QB in the draft are slim. I think the flipside is I think there's a very good chance one of those guys you mentioned end up at our spot. I'd add Kwitty Paye as another guy who has a good chance at dropping too. 

I would still prefer a small trade back and splitting the difference with whoever ends up at that spot. Would love to get Sewell, he'd be the pick for me if he was there. 

41 minutes ago, John232 said:

Honestly, I think we go Lance before we go Fields..if Fields is even there, I could see us passing on them. But regardless, the odds of us being able to grab a QB in the draft are slim. I think the flipside is I think there's a very good chance one of those guys you mentioned end up at our spot. I'd add Kwitty Paye as another guy who has a good chance at dropping too. 

I would still prefer a small trade back and splitting the difference with whoever ends up at that spot. Would love to get Sewell, he'd be the pick for me if he was there. 

I haven't watched a ton of his stuff yet, but from the little bit I did see, I didn't see a top 10 pick. I'll have to revisit that i suppose. 

45 minutes ago, John232 said:

I don't think that there's any real shot that we go QB in round 1, even if someone like Lance did fall to us. There's a part of me that believes Shanny would only take a QB in the most dire of circumstance while he's in SF. It'd have to be a season derailed by injury, top 3 pick with no locked in QB. I think he wants vets and then wants to develop mid round guys. If he spent 10 years as HC of this team and never took a first round QB, I would not be shocked. As for Lance / Fields...I'm curious if the hype on Lance has gone overboard. I think he's more likely to be QB 5 (after Mac Jones) than go above one of the top 3. I really am starting to think that the Lance train is a bit of the media run amok. I see him get mocked at like #4 and stuff and I just can't see it. 

Paye isn't a guy I have a ton of interest in at 12. Nice traits, underwhelming tape and production and the DE class is very strong on day 2 which is why I'd rather go with another position in the first round. The problem is that only Surtain and Farley are worth that pick at 12 imo for corners, so if they are gone, #12 just becomes a bit of a black hole for me.  Could see more offensive linemen be worth that pick if we lose Williams as well, though that's more of a need based selection than anything. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Forge said:

See, I would also take any of the main pass catchers. Waddle is more YAC, more speed over top, and would start at both returner spots. DeVonta would immediately be our best receiver at beating man coverage - including Kittle. Chase is just a true #1. I've stated my support for Kyle Pitts - he is superb at a number of things we aren't good at from big slotting to running TE seam routes and just outsizing guys in the red zone. I would also not mind trading back a bit for Ojulari or Paye. 

Just now, JIllg said:

See, I would also take any of the main pass catchers. Waddle is more YAC, more speed over top, and would start at both returner spots. DeVonta would immediately be our best receiver at beating man coverage - including Kittle. Chase is just a true #1. I've stated my support for Kyle Pitts - he is superb at a number of things we aren't good at from big slotting to running TE seam routes and just outsizing guys in the red zone. I would also not mind trading back a bit for Ojulari or Paye. 

I can't take any of the pass catchers with the diminishing returns we are going to get from them. Deebo is already the 4th option on the team behind the run game, Kittle and Aiyuk. We are going to add another? I think the offense is good in terms of weapons currently and our QB can't even really take advantage of them as is (using Aiyuk downfield, for example). The offense isn't high octane enough for me to do that with this QB and this playcalling. I just think that you're not getting your bang for your buck. If I were going to take one though, it'd be Pitts before the receivers for this offense though. 

• Like 2

I'm not really a fan of the first rounders this year in the areas that we need them. I would love to trade back with teams like the Jets or Jags for their 2nd, 3rd and next year's first. We could get our IOL and Edge guys and load up in the following years draft when the players hopefully get a decent year of College football in. There are just too many unknowns this year to be confident on the type of player that you are getting.

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I can't take any of the pass catchers with the diminishing returns we are going to get from them. Deebo is already the 4th option on the team behind the run game, Kittle and Aiyuk. We are going to add another? I think the offense is good in terms of weapons currently and our QB can't even really take advantage of them as is (using Aiyuk downfield, for example). The offense isn't high octane enough for me to do that with this QB and this playcalling. I just think that you're not getting your bang for your buck. If I were going to take one though, it'd be Pitts before the receivers for this offense though. 

Fair points, but I think the pass catchers are amongst the highest value targets to come off the board when we pick and fit niches we don't currently cover with receivers. And if Jimmy can't get the most of them, we must move on at QB next year - I'm not marrying my picks to his limitations any more. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, JIllg said:

Fair points, but I think the pass catchers are amongst the highest value targets to come off the board when we pick and fit niches we don't currently cover with receivers. And if Jimmy can't get the most of them, we must move on at QB next year - I'm not marrying my picks to his limitations any more. 

Bingo! You don't just look at it from the standpoint that the current QB can't maximize the talent as this WR group can help the future QB in big ways, especially if we end up going the rookie route in 2022. Deebo has two years left on his deal and some don't want to re-sign him as it is so taking someone like Waddle would be something I'd be ALL for. He can be the closest thing to Tyreek Hill and a complete game changer. Pitts is insanely good himself and a true RZ beast. You don't not make moves just because you think the current QB won't be able to take advantage of the talent… when that QB may or may not be here for long. 

I don't mind our position in the draft at all, even if we don't take a QB. 

Three or four stud OL, Horn, Surtain, Waddle, Pitts, Farley etc. 

I still think Lance will be there at #12 or close enough where a trade is possible. 

We can even trade down and take Paye. I get his college production wasn't the best but I don't care, the way he is able to bend>>>>. Good coaching on the next level can take him to another level. 

15 hours ago, JIllg said:

It's not about Jimmy though. That's just a small part of it. We are talking about a fifth option on the offense. The net gain there is just going to be minimal given that we already have four strong pieces on offense even if the receiver beat out someone line deebo. 

If I'm at a point where I'm looking at a receiver, I'm doing everything I can to trade down. I don't think the skill positions are a problem and I don't think that they improve us enough. 

23 hours ago, JIllg said:

I would be intrigued with trading down and taking Ojulari...

But I would much rather trade up with this and next year's 1sts and another mid pick to get Wilson. We would have to find a suitor within our limits and the picks would have to fall the right way...sure would be nice. 

• Like 2

Yeah, I'm trying to put drafting a QB out of my mind. Trask/Jones in the second would be intriguing but still prefer going edge or IOL day 2. 

I think at 12 we're going BPA in conjunction with need. Could see it being Slater, hope for Surtain, would love Sewell. 

Mel getting feisty in his first mock draft. Has Smith going #2 to the jets. 

Still don't understand why the Falcons go QB. I suppose just for the scarcity, but they are really going to waste two years of a rookie deal that way (he has Atlanta taking Wilson #4). Kind of the same for the Lions (he has them taking Fields) but at least hte Lions could maybe make that work. 

He's got us taking Surtain, which I'm good with, though should be noted that he has Farley falling all the way to 16