2021 Draft Thread

John232

9 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Honestly, I thought I was the only one that really questioned if Waddle was the speedster he's been made out to be. Hasn't really translated when I've watched him but I have been wrong before so...

I think you can easily see it in the return game. Honestly, I think Smith is the guy with more athletic limitations. I think that's why he's not running or showing off his weight. I think he'd run "slow" (slow is a terrible way to put that, but I think he's far more likely to be that 4.45 - 4.5 guy) given his size. 

Smith can certainly succeed; Marvin Harrison was slight of build and he's probably your best case scenario, but guys at this size who aren't speedsters (and even a lot of them who are) don't have a long history of being successful (and Harrison still had 10 pounds on Smith). The concern with Smith is that he may be just a zone buster. Waddle obviously isn't as refined, but bonus points for special teams in the early going and a receiver's route tree, route running...that's stuff that can be coached and taught and refined. 

There is a reason Waddle was the top WR before getting injured and was a big part last year with Jeudy and Ruggs there too. Smith took off this year in college and he sure went up against his fair share of legit NFL talent but if i have to choose give me Chase, Waddle or Pitts. 

Will be interesting though to see how the guys that sat out last year get rated by the NFL. From the top end in guys like Chase to the more sleepers in draft media like Tay Gowan.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

For those not sure, those are good :D

He's the CB1 with Farley's injuries. I think he is probably gone in the top 10. 

He should no doubt. CB has been weird the past few years but i don't see a way he isn't the first off the board. Has the athletic ability, the tape and the bloodline. Can't see him not being a starting CB in the NFL from day one.

2 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

He should no doubt. CB has been weird the past few years but i don't see a way he isn't the first off the board. Has the athletic ability, the tape and the bloodline. Can't see him not being a starting CB in the NFL from day one.

And he uses the field to his advantage better than anyone in this class. He has no give in his coverage. He forces you to go where he wants you to go

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

For those not sure, those are good :D

He's the CB1 with Farley's injuries. I think he is probably gone in the top 10. 

If Farley was healthy I'd put him slightly him over Surtain. I just think his ceiling is higher because he's only played the position for two years and I think he's probably more athletic than Surtain, if that makes any sense.

But reccuring back issues are nothing to sneeze at and it definitely makes him a gamble. Surtain reminds me of Bosa in that he's a sure thing with NFL linegae and he'll be able to hit the ground running as a rook. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Are there any RB's worthy of the 12th pick? Or perhaps later on if we trade down?

We've seemingly solved all our top needs which frees us for the BPA & Shanny has been looking for that premier back ever since he got here

Its not a move i'd agree with, but a move i could see us making....

At 12? No. But so long as we find another cornerback by our 2nd round pick (re-signing Williams/Sherman, signing a FA, or 1st round pick), Travis Etienne is the player I want most in the draft.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

And he uses the field to his advantage better than anyone in this class. He has no give in his coverage. He forces you to go where he wants you to go

And in zone/pattern coverages, he has good awareness and looks for work. Saw a few cases where people tried to high/low him and he was aware of the guy trying to get to the space behind him and recovered well. Horn has none of that. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

At 12? No. But so long as we find another cornerback by our 2nd round pick (re-signing Williams/Sherman, signing a FA, or 1st round pick), Travis Etienne is the player I want most in the draft.

Come back more regularly

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Jamarr Chase did what Smith did in the same conference at 19 years old and doesn't have questions about size

Smith is my lowest rated out of the top 4 (including Pitts) fairly easily. 

He's similar in size to Jerry Rice and doesn't have to endure the head-hunting DBs of the past, either. Too much is made of being 6' and 185 or so lbs. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I think you can easily see it in the return game. Honestly, I think Smith is the guy with more athletic limitations. I think that's why he's not running or showing off his weight. I think he'd run "slow" (slow is a terrible way to put that, but I think he's far more likely to be that 4.45 - 4.5 guy) given his size. 

Smith can certainly succeed; Marvin Harrison was slight of build and he's probably your best case scenario, but guys at this size who aren't speedsters (and even a lot of them who are) don't have a long history of being successful (and Harrison still had 10 pounds on Smith). The concern with Smith is that he may be just a zone buster. Waddle obviously isn't as refined, but bonus points for special teams in the early going and a receiver's route tree, route running...that's stuff that can be coached and taught and refined. 

Yes, it can be taught but I sure like a guy who has already learned a lot of that and I see it in Smith. 

You may not. I'm obviously not going to convince you otherwise. 

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

He's similar in size to Jerry Rice and doesn't have to endure the head-hunting DBs of the past, either. Too much is made of being 6' and 185 or so lbs. 

What? Jerry was closer to 200 pounds. Smith is probably forcing himself to 170 right now. His play weight is likely even less.  Go back and look at the list of receivers who have made it work at less than 180 (never mind 170). It's basically d-jax and travis benjamin.