2021 Draft Thread

John232

15 hours ago, GW21 said:

Those deep balls were purty. lol not usually a good sign when you can't remember who you've spoken with though. 

Maybe the person he talked to had a mask on... I couldn't recognize Adam Peters without a mask, let alone with one.

On 2/16/2021 at 7:01 AM, J-ALL-DAY said:

If we don't trade for Watson or take a QB in the first round, I bet Mills will be one of Shanny's targets in the 3rd round. Even if Jimmy is the QB, I bet Shanny will still draft a rookie in the draft to go alongside Rosen. Beathard/Mullens aren't going to return to the room. 

Okay not months ago, but a MONTH ago! 

There are some things he does that are intriguing. He has limited playing action but that's not always a bad thing as some potential may be untapped and he can get coached up by Shanny the way he wants him to be. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Okay not months ago, but a MONTH ago! 

There are some things he does that are intriguing. He has limited playing action but that's not always a bad thing as some potential may be untapped and he can get coached up by Shanny the way he wants him to be. 

I don't wanna get carried away but my initial takeaway from watching him was wow his poise and even the way he throws is a bit like Andrew Luck. Again not saying he's Andrew Luck but I like what I see from Mills.....

50 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Funny how I mentioned the Mills possibility months ago!!!!!!! 

Its just weird. Like everyone just figured out now that he existed or something. 

Honestly, what it feels like is that these guys have figured out that it's going to be Jimmy G again this year, no first round QB and they're trying to talk themselves into Davis Mills being some undiscovered first round QB gem that we will somehow stumble onto in round 3. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

Its just weird. Like everyone just figured out now that he existed or something. 

Honestly, what it feels like is that these guys have figured out that it's going to be Jimmy G again this year, no first round QB and they're trying to talk themselves into Davis Mills being some undiscovered first round QB gem that we will somehow stumble onto in round 3. 

They come up with a new QB to talk about every single week. 

I think all options are still open, not ready to say they will or won't take a QB in the first round. Everyone is just guessing at this point. 

Mills has his flaws but I thought there was something there that would intrigue Shanny. 

I always thought we were going edge in the first round but if we are able to re-sign Hyder, then I think while edge is still an option, it's going to be either QB or CB. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Right? I know people have been talking about him in the draft forum for a while. He's definitely got everything you want in a starting QB from a physical standpoint. It'll be interesting to see where he lands. His value seems to be all over the place. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see someone take him in round 2, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go in round 4. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I think all options are still open, now ready to say they will or won't take a QB in the first round. Everyone is just guessing at this point. 

I think QB should definitely be on the table in round 1, and I think that it should be the favorite if reasonably available. But trying to guess what this FO thinks is next to impossible. Given that I also want the pick to be a QB, I hedge on the side of not getting what i want lol

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Right? I know people have been talking about him in the draft forum for a while. He's definitely got everything you want in a starting QB from a physical standpoint. It'll be interesting to see where he lands. His value seems to be all over the place. I wouldn't be terribly surprised to see someone take him in round 2, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him go in round 4. 

For sure. If we are sitting there at the saleh comp pick and he's on the board, I'd make that move. I'd also trade up from that pick to grab him. Not sure I'd spend our second on him flat out. Thank fully second round QBs don't happen much any more, so he may take a bit of a tumble. 

There are always these guys every year that start off as the mid round guys and then inevitably one of the draft guys says he could be a surprise first round pick, and then he ends up going in like the 4th lol. I'll be curious to see if that is Mills this year. Josh Dobbs. Davis Webb.  

• Like 1

I watched Mills before the hype machine started, and I was meh. I'm sure if I looked at him now, I'd find reasons to get excited, just because of the general enthusiasm. I watched Zach Wilson after Chris Simms put him #1 on his board, and was blown away by him. Would I love Zach as much if I had watched his tape before the hype? I think the mindset you have when you get into the evaluation skews it a little. We like to think we're objective, but we're not. I'd like the opinion of a fan base who is not looking for a QB, and has no horse in the race. They might be more objective. I know I'm not really.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I watched Mills before the hype machine started, and I was meh. I'm sure if I looked at him now, I'd find reasons to get excited, just because of the general enthusiasm. I watched Zach Wilson after Chris Simms put him #1 on his board, and was blown away by him. Would I love Zach as much if I had watched his tape before the hype? I think the mindset you have when you get into the evaluation skews it a little. We like to think we're objective, but we're not. I'd like the opinion of a fan base who is not looking for a QB, and has no horse in the race. They might be more objective. I know I'm not really.

I like him as a guy you pick end of day 2 or day 3 as a project QB that can be more than a back-up. He has the physical tools to be a QB in the league but hasn't had a ton of playing time and a history of knee injuries. I can see him becoming something but i wouldn't bet on him being a starter year 1 because he lacks the polish and he doesn't have the extra's a guy like Lance has that pushes him to a first rounder.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think this is fair. All of these player in the draft are being talked about for a reason. It's very rare a prospect doesn't have any real weaknesses but all of them have something good about them or they wouldn't be considered in the draft. I think it really depends on who you are listening to or hearing good things from, who you are hearing bad things from, and what kind of stock you put into their views. I mean it's really easy to see things to like about Mills, but I'm sure you could talk yourself out of him as a prospect pretty easily as well. I find myself doing this after we draft players every year; trying to find what makes them a good prospect and in turn a good pick. 

17 hours ago, rudyZ said:

There is a big difference between watching tape and watching highlights. So many people out there confuse the two. You can't learn alllll that much on a highlight tape and of course only positive plays will make you have a favorable feeling for a prospect

The hype is on zach Wilson because the tape is that friggen good. You like him because he's a damn good qb. He's getting drafted #2 overall this year for a good reason. Kids a stud and I was all about it from the first Friday night 8pm pst byu game I saw this year. Gunslinger in the best possible way.

I like what I saw from mills in the two games I watched. Not perfect but he's a pocket passer with good timing 

Read my full thoughts: 

I think that's a pretty good breakdown except for the end when I said I thought he would go in the 6th lmao. Some team will love him and take him in the 3/4 turn perhaps. 

I'm all for him. We could do a lot worse. He at least has some traits that could make him elite. My comp for him is Peyton Manning. Sounds crazy bc Peyton Manning is one of the best QBs to ever play. Obviously not saying mills is anywhere near the QB peyton was. I just mean stylistically. Neither guy is a good athlete. Both are timing passers with good touch and also a strong arm. Both have absurdly long giraffe necks that make them look goofty as hell. Lol