2021 Draft Thread

John232

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

What? Jerry was closer to 200 pounds. Smith is probably forcing himself to 170 right now. His play weight is likely even less.  Go back and look at the list of receivers who have made it work at less than 180 (never mind 170). It's basically d-jax and travis benjamin. 

Perhaps, but he still won't take the hits Rice had to endure and you know it. The rules just don't allow it. 

receivers drafted who weighed under 180 pounds at the combine over the last two decades:

D-Jax 

Ted Ginn

Dennis Northcutt

John Brown

Harry Douglas

Todd Pinkston

Travis Benjamin

Cedric Wilson

Paul Richardson

Roscoe Parrish. 

Don't get me wrong, Smith can succeed. There was a time when it was believed you had to be a certain height to play QB. But right now, he'd be an extreme outlier, and thats not something that fills me with the warm and fuzzies. The most successful guys on this list also had *elite* speed, which Smith does not have. 

13 minutes ago, Forge said:

What? Jerry was closer to 200 pounds. Smith is probably forcing himself to 170 right now. His play weight is likely even less.  Go back and look at the list of receivers who have made it work at less than 180 (never mind 170). It's basically d-jax and travis benjamin. 

From my understanding Smith played at 160 at Alabama. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Forge said:

receivers drafted who weighed under 180 pounds at the combine over the last two decades:

D-Jax 

Ted Ginn

Dennis Northcutt

John Brown

Harry Douglas

Todd Pinkston

Travis Benjamin

Cedric Wilson

Paul Richardson

Roscoe Parrish. 

Don't get me wrong, Smith can succeed. There was a time when it was believed you had to be a certain height to play QB. But right now, he'd be an extreme outlier, and thats not something that fills me with the warm and fuzzies. The most successful guys on this list also had *elite* speed, which Smith does not have. 

There is not one guy on there that had even close to the route running ability of Smith and while Smith may be slim, dude plays big when the ball is in the air. Straight destroying top level corner prospects that past few years. He's going to be just fine. 

• Like 2

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

There is not one guy on there that had even close to the route running ability of Smith and while Smith may be slim, dude plays big when the ball is in the air. Straight destroying top level corner prospects that past few years. He's going to be just fine. 

If he's fine, he's an extreme outlier, as I said. Doesn't mean he can't be successful, but there's little history for it. It's a projection. He's very good in contested catches at the college level. Do i think that will continue on at the next level? No, so that's something I have to take away. 

Route running is pretty overrated to me, honestly, especially as a prospect. His hands are top notch though. Waddle, in contrast, is far too often a body catcher. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I will take the most polished receiver over any other, regardless of supposedly superior athletic traits. Smith is that in this draft. 

It's also the reason I would take Mac Jones over Fields or Lance (or anyone other than Lawrence and Wilson!).

Edited by Chrissooner49er

8 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If you say so, it is. Right? It may be so, IYO. Cannot possibly be fact until we see the result of his career. I for one believe he will be very successful. 

I mean, I don't know how it's not. You're comparing a dude who was nearly 200 pounds (30-40 pounds heavier), in a different era where he may have taken "bigger" hits, but likely took fewer of them because of the proliferation of the passing game against probably lesser athletes on average. I mean, it's just a weird comparison to make. I understand when people comp him to Marvin Harrison; thin limbed, light...the Jerry thing makes no sense to me whatsoever give that he wasn't an undersized receiver. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I mean, I don't know how it's not. You're comparing a dude who was nearly 200 pounds (30-40 pounds heavier), in a different era where he may have taken "bigger" hits, but likely took fewer of them because of the proliferation of the passing game against probably lesser athletes on average. I mean, it's just a weird comparison to make. I understand when people comp him to Marvin Harrison; thin limbed, light...the Jerry thing makes no sense to me whatsoever

You've made that quite clear. 

32 minutes ago, Forge said:

D-Jax 

Ted Ginn

Dennis Northcutt

John Brown

Harry Douglas

Todd Pinkston

Travis Benjamin

Cedric Wilson

Paul Richardson

Roscoe Parrish. 

Oof. I loved Harry Douglas coming out when I first posted on this site.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Forge said:

If he's fine, he's an extreme outlier, as I said. Doesn't mean he can't be successful, but there's little history for it. It's a projection. He's very good in contested catches at the college level. Do i think that will continue on at the next level? No, so that's something I have to take away. 

Route running is pretty overrated to me, honestly, especially as a prospect. His hands are top notch though. Waddle, in contrast, is far too often a body catcher. 

Don't think his route running is overrated, especially how he can set up opposing DBs.

Just curious, why don't you think he will be able to make contested catches at the pro level? He has very good feel and hands. And it's not like he was playing in a weak conference, he's literally going up against pro level DBs on the regular. Which guy from the SEC was good at contested catches and then wasn't able to do that at the pro level?

• Like 1