2021 Draft Thread

John232

Just now, Justone2 said:

So far Muschamp and Herm Edwards sure are guys we seem to trust a lot.

Yep. The good thing is that after years of posting on here with him, I would trust J's evaluation of cornerbacks more so than my own, so if J is going to be that bullish on him, I feel better about it if he was the pick lol 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's not about overthinking it. I just don't think he's going to win most of his battles at the line like he does in college. But what this does do is make me think he can develop a recovery game. Now, some of the other stuff this doesn't really apply to (zone awareness and the like...that's just something you have need to bank on him figuring out). 

He's going to win A LOT of battles at the LOS and he's going to flat out get right into WRs and make life a living hell for them. He's a bit too aggressive at times but that's okay. Horn will be getting his hands on the ball quite a bit and is going to be able to run with most WRs. Would love to draft Horn at #12. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So really like a 4.42 or 4.44.

Sounds about right. 

yep, mid 4.4's was what I was thinking as well. 

It's a really impressive showing for he and Surtain...Farley is going to be cb3 or lower. Kind of crazy 

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

But I already confirmed that Horn was our first round pick anyway.

It seems like the 49ers tip their hand a week or so before the draft (McGlinchey & Kinlaw), so if we start hearing more about Horn and the 49ers a few weeks from now, we will know he's going to be our guy. 

4 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

Haven't watched Newsome but I agree about taking Horn regardless of what corner is available.

8 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

This scheme isn't just a typical cover-3 scheme though. And with Ryans supposedly being more aggressive than Saleh, you're going to need your corners to hold up in man coverage. Not sure what Miller is talking about here.

I also don't think the test numbers for Horn should supplant Surtain on CB rankings if you had Surtain #1 all along. Surtain tested well himself. 

• Like 1

Think Surtain is still the #1 corner on my board but Horn has moved up a few spots based on his performance. Think Surtain is a bit more versatile(can argue how important versatility). Think a guy like Horn in the wrong situation is more likely to bust over Surtain who whatever scheme he gets put in he can do a job day one. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Haven't watched Newsome but I agree about taking Horn regardless of what corner is available.

This scheme isn't just a typical cover-3 scheme though. And with Ryans supposedly being more aggressive than Saleh, you're going to need your corners to hold up in man coverage. Not sure what Miller is talking about here.

I also don't think the test numbers for Horn should supplant Surtain on CB rankings if you had Surtain #1 all along. Surtain tested well himself. 

Yeah, gonna say Surtain put a lead on it for sure. But Crocky and DJ absolutely adore Horn and DJ said he would have put him ahead of CJ Henderson from last year. I really don't think 12 is a reach and I don't think he's going to be there at 20. Really wouldn't surprise me if we went with Horn at 12 if Surtain is off the board. 

I don't think this changes anything for me as @J-ALL-DAY and @Justone2 alluded to. Surtain has been #1 for me from the beginning and remains there for me. I think if anything had changed for me at CB it'd be mostly around Farley and his health issues. I don't see him being a guy I'd take in the top 20 picks at this point with those concerns. 

• Like 2

Assuming we trade a 4th-5th for Minshew, I'm content with FA/trades. Focusing on the draft, i'd put our draft needs in order as below. Agree/Disagree?

-Long-term CB

-Edge Rusher

-Slot WR

-OL depth (both interior OL, T)

-RB depth

-TE depth

-S depth (long-term replacement for Tartt/Moore?)

-CB depth (long-term slot replacement for K'Waun & depth in general)

Edited by 49ersfan
  • Like 1