2021 Draft Thread

John232

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Don't think his route running is overrated, especially how he can set up opposing DBs.

Just curious, why don't you think he will be able to make contested catches at the pro level? He has very good feel and hands. And it's not like he was playing in a weak conference, he's literally going up against pro level DBs on the regular. Which guy from the SEC was good at contested catches and then wasn't able to do that at the pro level?

I should qualify that I Think that this is going to be a bigger issue on the boundary. I really think he's going to have a tough time bodying up and finding clean releases and getting position in order to do it. Over the middle, if he gets a step and it's just some dude who's draped on his back...not overly concerned about that. His hands and grip are great for that. 

He may draw a fair amount of penalties though lol 

**edit**

just a note...wasn't saying that his route running is overrated. Just saying that in general, as a prospect trait, I find it overrated. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

More and more film guys pulling back from the Wilson bandwagon. Find it interesting. 

He's doing an article based on the tweet tree. I look forward to that. If anyone follows Ted and has read his stuff on the athletic, it's top notch work and he always opens my eyes to things. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

He's doing an article based on the tweet tree. I look forward to that. If anyone follows Ted and has read his stuff on the athletic, it's top notch work and he always opens my eyes to things. 

That one example he posts you can do the exact same thing for Lawrence or Fields. The open receiver is one of the last reads and before he gets there pressure gets to him. Not saying he is wrong about the flaws but those same things happen with Fields and is sometime more about coaching than anything.

16 minutes ago, Forge said:

I should qualify that I Think that this is going to be a bigger issue on the boundary. I really think he's going to have a tough time bodying up and finding clean releases and getting position in order to do it. Over the middle, if he gets a step and it's just some dude who's draped on his back...not overly concerned about that. His hands and grip are great for that. 

He may draw a fair amount of penalties though lol 

**edit**

just a note...wasn't saying that his route running is overrated. Just saying that in general, as a prospect trait, I find it overrated. 

If he didn't play in the SEC against the type of corners he played again, I'd be inclined to agree more with you. But he did play against the best and most physical DBs and they had no chance against him. He just wins over and over and over again. You can try to press him, play off man, play zone etc it doesn't matter. He gets open and when the ball is in the air, he usually comes down with it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

That one example he posts you can do the exact same thing for Lawrence or Fields. The open receiver is one of the last reads and before he gets there pressure gets to him. Not saying he is wrong about the flaws but those same things happen with Fields and is sometime more about coaching than anything.

I'm assuming that he'll have more breakdowns than just the one based on his previous work and he was just using that as an example. I look forward to seeing if he shows me anything that Wilson consistently does. But I find the push away from Wilson by some of these film guys to be interesting (meanwhile Simms bumps him to #1) I don't always see what they are seeing. Solak did open my eyes a bit to the middle of the field thing though.  I think he's going to throw a lot of picks, but I Think he's also going to make some amazing plays. 

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm assuming that he'll have more breakdowns than just the one based on his previous work and he was just using that as an example. I look forward to seeing if he shows me anything that Wilson consistently does. But I find the push away from Wilson by some of these film guys to be interesting (meanwhile Simms bumps him to #1) I don't always see what they are seeing. Solak did open my eyes a bit to the middle of the field thing though.  I think he's going to throw a lot of picks, but I Think he's also going to make some amazing plays. 

Oh i am not saying that his opinion is based on one play or anything close to that. Just when you choose a play to illustrate your point i don't think that one is the best to do so. You actually see him go through his progression and when he gets to the "open" guy he is cutting to the outside into a corner lane and the pressure gets to him. And compared to what we are used to he actually throws it away before getting sacked and gets called for a pretty weak intentional grouding(doubt that one gets called much in the NFL).

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Oh i am not saying that his opinion is based on one play or anything close to that. Just when you choose a play to illustrate your point i don't think that one is the best to do so. You actually see him go through his progression and when he gets to the "open" guy he is cutting to the outside into a corner lane and the pressure gets to him. And compared to what we are used to he actually throws it away before getting sacked and gets called for a pretty weak intentional grouding(doubt that one gets called much in the NFL).

Oh, for sure (I also thought that was a weak call LOL). 

Wilson clearly likes his 9  / go routes. Most of the time he makes that pass. My guess is that play is not anticipating to be a cover 0 buster,  and therefore the progressions are slightly jacked (the outside skinny post is likely not designed to be the first read which most of the time, it would be). 

You can make some questions about the presnap read in that scenario, but I'm also not sure that you're looking at that presnap and assuming nothing deep 

Watching Patrick Surtain blow up his pro day makes me realize that we are squarely in no-mans land in terms of talent at #12. All the QBs, Slater, and Surtain will all be gone. There are no EDGE guys to take at #12. We're going to left with the #3 OT, #2 or #3 WR, and Micah Parsons at 12. This blows. 

I'm really, really hoping for a trade down because the only trade up I want is Zach Wilson and that seems like a pipe dream. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Watching Patrick Surtain blow up his pro day makes me realize that we are squarely in no-mans land in terms of talent at #12. All the QBs, Slater, and Surtain will all be gone. There are no EDGE guys to take at #12. We're going to left with the #3 OT, #2 or #3 WR, and Micah Parsons at 12. This blows. 

I'm really, really hoping for a trade down because the only trade up I want is Zach Wilson and that seems like a pipe dream. 

Welcome to the club lol. I really would start watching more AVT...he's really, really, really good. There's not as big of a gap between he and Slater as it seems like in my opinion. 

But yeah...if I pull Farley out, and put him in the group I like at 12, I'm in no better shape...and at this point I don't think I can draft Farley there. I love JOK, but I think that's going to be hard to justify given our current set up. 

I'm starting to lean more on the idea that we may actually make the trade up this year for a QB. Draft him, but Jimmy starts and rehabs his value (hopefully), then you flip JImmy next year for a first which likely will make up for the one that we lost in the trade up. I think it's @John232 who's been pumping that up for a while now. I think it has some legs. 

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

No guarantee Surtain goes in the top 12 but if he five QBs go in the top 10 and there is a good chance of that happening, then we will be just fine.

Five QBs, three WRs, Parsons (maybe), Slater, Sewell......Then there is still Surtain, Pitts, Darrishaw etc. Trust me, we won't be in a bad position and can absolutely trade down if need be. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Honestly there is about 15 guys that i can see go in any combination in the top 10. From 5 QBs to 3 and from 1 WR to 4(counting Pitts). Outside of that the only one i feel is a true lock is Sewell. Trading back further than say 1-3 spots really would hurt value wise in my eyes with where i personally see a drop-off. I am not saying a guy like Waddle would be my favourite pick based on this draft class but if he is there at 12 i am all for picking him up because i can easily see him being BPA at that point. 

• Like 1