Kyle Allen Your New Starter

RSkinGM

6 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

I guess another reason I'm not upset over this is that I've always viewed Haskins as the final failure of Bruce Allen, not as the first failure of Rivera.  

Bringing Haskins here? Allen's fault.

Dealing with Haskins and the way this went down? Rivera's fault.

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Some of you guys are way bettering at knowing the players than I. Who could we have picked from players drafted 16-32 instead of Haskins that would have been a significant upgrade ?

Just to play the hypothetical game because, at least have something optimistic out of this: let's assume they take Sweat at 15. This means they don't feel pressured to trade back into the first round.

Of course, they still don't have a QB and they see Denver is picking four picks before them at #41 and #42 vs. their #46. Do they trade up with Tampa Bay at #39 or then-Oakland at #40 to take Drew Lock? Would they be any better in this case? Do they just bide their time and take Will Grier in the third ... and pass on Terry McLaurin? I suppose it is possible they hang onto #96 (the Cousins compensatory pick) and use that on Grier. That passes on Bryce Love and Wes Martin, which I suppose is no big loss. But they wouldn't pick again until the 5th (#153). Maybe they go for Ryan Finley or Jarrett Stidham instead of Grier?

4 hours ago, ovfd55 said:

I don't get this,you telling me the team that voted him team Captain,the team that praised him for a halftime speech week 1 dislikes him so much week 5 Coach has to bench him?You could tell me people are upset at the offense but that isn't 100% Haskins fault

Well said.

As the coach, three losses about poor play is what sinks your starting QB with this locker room? Where is the leadership?

Just now, PARROTHEAD said:

K6feXdL.jpg

No doubt that the possibility remains that Dwayne Haskins would never be a successful NFL QB. However, think about how many chances he got in how many different regimes/offenses, what his supporting cast has looked like and who is replacing him and tell me you think he got a fair shake. 

If anyone thinks these first four games were anything more than a ploy to get "their guy" in, you're crazy. Ron's press conference was an atrocious display. Several reporters called him out about the mentality of "rebuilding is a process" and somehow has the nerve to tell people this is a win now move.

Just crazy to think they are talking about winning the division when the whole world knows our division is hot garbage and making the playoffs would only set us back another year with the "talent" we have. 

26 minutes ago, Woz said:

If that happens, then I'll say two things:

1. Wow, maybe he can play.
  2. Let's see what he does over the long haul once people get tape on him again.

The better question: what does Rivera do if Allen craps the bed? Does he actually go to Alex Smith? Does he try to repair the relationship with Haskins? Does he go see if Mark Sanchez wants to take another set of snaps?

This was a massive gamble on Rivera's part. Had they just stunk like everyone projected them to, we would all be discussing how to make the team better over the long haul. Now, he has to win RIGHT NOW. If he doesn't, the whole justification for him being elevated to the top man of the franchise is a massive question mark. Ron Rivera just created a massive controversy for what purpose? To possibly win a divisional crown only to get their *** handed to them in the playoffs? Why?

He’s won a division title with a record under .500 before. With the state of the NFCE, he must see an opportunity to do it again. At least, that’s the only thing I can think of right now

Just now, Slappy Mc said:

No doubt that the possibility remains that Dwayne Haskins would never be a successful NFL QB. However, think about how many chances he got in how many different regimes/offenses, what his supporting cast has looked like and who is replacing him and tell me you think he got a fair shake. 

If anyone thinks these first four games were anything more than a ploy to get "their guy" in, you're crazy. Ron's press conference was an atrocious display. Several reporters called him out about the mentality of "rebuilding is a process" and somehow has the nerve to tell people this is a win now move.

Just crazy to think they are talking about winning the division when the whole world knows our division is hot garbage and making the playoffs would only set us back another year with the "talent" we have. 

With that in bold. Lets wipe the whole slate clean and start from scratch. As we have no qbs. Can everything thats been said of Haskins. Be applied to Josh Rosen and why he should be brought in to start?

1 minute ago, PARROTHEAD said:

With that in bold. Lets wipe the whole slate clean and start from scratch. As we have no qbs. Can everything thats been said of Haskins. Be applied to Josh Rosen and why he should be brought in to start?

Absolutely. I havent watched enough of Rosens games, but I absolutely believe  QB deserves the chance to prove themselves. I would not have been opposed to us signing Rosen. 

Any stat guru's got a comparison between Haskins and Rosen?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Woz said:

Speaking for myself and not e16: because Rivera is not just the head coach but also the GM. I feel from the perspective of both hats, this decision was insanely idiotic.

I disagree.  Maybe it’s because I hated the Haskins pick from the beginning or because I knew a new coach meant a new QB.  But please elaborate.

(if you need a sound track for this post, I would direct you to the front half of this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdxSfPURVpk ... just imagine the organist playing the backing emphasis notes for each part, before Brown gets wound up in the song, which is great in its own right)

2 hours ago, e16bball said:

This speaks to why you don’t let coaches (or players) make personnel decisions.

hdifu6X.gif

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

It’s not because they’re dumb or selfish or don’t care. It’s because they’re too close to the games, they’re deeply involved on a daily basis in the competitive part of it, teaching and scheming and fighting and clawing to try to win every week.

giphy.gif

As a coach, you’re trying to win the next game on the schedule. You feel responsible to all the guys in the locker room to give them the best chance to win, there’s a sense of duty to them (which I know Rivera feels). 

BeneficialDefiantHagfish-size_restricted

But in the long haul, winning the next game is not always the franchise’s top priority. It can’t be. If you’re in charge of the franchise, you have to take a long view: what will make this the best franchise today, next year, and 5 years from now? And sometimes you have to be willing to sacrifice the present in order to boost the future.

giphy.gif

But a coach, feeling personally competitive and having to look these competitive guys in the face every day and ask for their best, can’t do that. A coach will, often unintentionally, sacrifice the future for the right now. 

DangerousMenacingIndianpalmsquirrel-size

There’s one coach who can do it. He’s the only one who has ever been able to do it. Nothing I’ve seen from Rivera thus far suggests he’s any different from the other coaches (better coaches, many of them) who have tried to wear both hats and failed.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

Just to play the hypothetical game because, at least have something optimistic out of this: let's assume they take Sweat at 15. This means they don't feel pressured to trade back into the first round.

Of course, they still don't have a QB and they see Denver is picking four picks before them at #41 and #42 vs. their #46. Do they trade up with Tampa Bay at #39 or then-Oakland at #40 to take Drew Lock? Would they be any better in this case? Do they just bide their time and take Will Grier in the third ... and pass on Terry McLaurin? I suppose it is possible they hang onto #96 (the Cousins compensatory pick) and use that on Grier. That passes on Bryce Love and Wes Martin, which I suppose is no big loss. But they wouldn't pick again until the 5th (#153). Maybe they go for Ryan Finley or Jarrett Stidham instead of Grier?

I think Gruden would’ve wanted to draft Drew Lock @ 15 or trade up to get Drew Lock in round 2 if they had taken Sweat or Burns at 15 and passed on Haskins.

I think Gruden’s 2019 draft goes:

#15: Drew Lock, QB

#46: AJ Brown, WR

#76: Terry McLaurin, WR

#112: Bryce Love, RB

#131: Foster Moreau, TE

#155: Mack Wilson, LB

# 173: Cole Holcomb, LB

#206: Kelvin Harmon, WR

#253: Jordan Brailford, DE/OLB

5 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Absolutely. I havent watched enough of Rosens games, but I absolutely believe  QB deserves the chance to prove themselves. I would not have been opposed to us signing Rosen. 

Any stat guru's got a comparison between Haskins and Rosen?

Without looking at stats they have a similar feel. Rosen with Cards was under defensive pressure quicker than any other qb. Then he gets to the Dolphins (new system) and they trade off a pro bowler from the OL. Leaving him with nothing to work with while management tries to build draft capital.

For me. Anyone bashing Rosen and not looking at Haskins in the same light is off base here.

23 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

Jennifer Lopez Reaction GIF by NBC World Of Dance