Is it risky for Reich to stand by Rivers too much ???

HOF19

24 minutes ago, Bearerofnews said:

Give Rivers a clean pocket and he is top 5-7, still. Colts oline in their losses looked like garbage, overrated, injured and did not protect HOF Rivers. Rivers skill is not, at this age and wear and tear one that can play efficiently anymore under duress. 

Protect Rivers and watch it rain.

I think you have to assign blame to Rivers for some of his mistakes. He hasn’t looked quite right. And the Rivers of old would have done much better. He’s either declining much faster than I thought or there’s still chemistry issues because of the shortened offseason. Maybe a bit of both.

1 hour ago, Bearerofnews said:

Give Rivers a clean pocket and he is top 5-7, still. Colts oline in their losses looked like garbage, overrated, injured and did not protect HOF Rivers. Rivers skill is not, at this age and wear and tear one that can play efficiently anymore under duress. 

Protect Rivers and watch it rain.

That's not the hallmark of a contender-level QB, though.   Pretty much every NFL starter, even the bad ones, you can say that about.  A clean pocket makes almost every NFL level QB look good.   It's how they stack up against pressure, or in those do-or-die moments, that separates the top 10, and even top-half guys from the ones who shouldn't be starting on contender-level teams.

Rivers isn't a league-average QB anymore.    It's that simple.   If IND is down 10+ points, the game is over unless the D manufactures points on their own.   Rivers stopped being a gunslinger about 2 years ago - last year was eye-opening to watch the decline.    IND is good enough they can win with him...but they're winning despite him, not because of him.   Big difference.   Now, to be fair, you can say that about 1/3 of the starting QB's right now.   But the difference is, most of them aren't on legitimate playoff contenders.    

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

Unsure if its the place of Dan Orlovsky to be criticizing a QB like Philip Rivers......

No offense, but I always hated this logic.

You dont have to be as good as someone at something to criticize their performance.   Its one thing if you say "I could do better than him/her"...but its another to simply say they arent doing a good job by an objective measure.

None of us could even be as "good" as someone like Ryan Leaf, but we know, relative to other QBs and seeing what it takes to be a QB in this league, that Ryan Leaf was a terrible QB.

Objectively, it doesnt take an expert on QB play to see Rivers isnt playing well.

• Like 7

Been listening to WFNI Indianapolis radio........They have been taking phone call from Colts fans all day now .....Not one .............Not one ..................NOT ONE !!!!!!Colts fan that called in so far wants Rivers to remain as the Colts starter ......NOT ONE FREAKIN CALLER SO FAR WANTS RIVERS TO BE THE COLTS STARTER ANYMORE. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by HOF19

6 minutes ago, HOF19 said:

Been listening to WFNI Indianapolis radio........They have been taking phone call from Colts fans all day now .....Not one .............Not one ..................NOT ONE !!!!!!Colts fan that called in so far wants Rivers to remain as the Colts starter ......NOT ONE FREAKIN CALLER SO FAR WANTS RIVERS TO BE THE COLTS STARTER ANYMORE. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds to me the Colts fan base has spoken ,

Edited by HOF19

I'm the biggest Rivers homer out there but time has caught up with him. He no longer has the quick out's that bailed him out earlier in his career. His funky release just doesn't have the push it used to. He will still have a good game here and there but I think his limitations put him in more of a back up role at this stage in his career if he wants to keep playing. He could Johny Unitas it with a team where he comes in deep in the playoffs and has a few good games but he's just not up for the week after week beatings anymore. As a chargers poster pointed out to me last year, he also puts more work on his offensive line and makes them look worse then they are. Not that he holds the ball post snap, it's his presnap reads that just force the offensive to stay down too long and wear themselves out before the ball is even snapped.

All that being said, I don't think the Colts are better with Jacoby. They need to make a move for a legitimate quarterback this off season.

He honestly strikes me as just a weird fit, stylistically, for that team. Like, looking at the game against the Browns, you had a special teams touchdown, the defense had two interceptions, the OL only allowed 1 sack, the run game was functional at a little over 4 yards per carry, like the whole team around him played solid football, and they basically lost on the points from his two big mistakes, the pick six and the intentional grounding safety. That was the 9 point swing, at least. And part of me feels like Rivers had gotten so used to having to play hero ball and be the carry for some either bad, banged up, or both Chargers teams, and he doesn't know how to let the team just carry him. That team took Brissett to 7-8, and the talent has gotten better this year. All he really needs to be is a better version of Brissett and they'd go a long way. But instead it feels like they traded getting an extra ~50 passing yards per game for like 3 times as many INTs. And that's going to be a mixed bag of better sometimes and worse others.

• Like 2