Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

16 hours ago, Counselor said:

Schefter said he was floored by this that he has only heard rave reviews about him and he has special intangibles. I really believe to be true what I thought immediately when I read your post. Someone is trying to blemish his name to drop him to their team. Especially if this was released after his bowl performance and he has a real shot at being the #2 QB. 

11 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Zach Wilson bad kid.

Adam Schefter says bull ****!

NFC scout,  they left off "from Dallas" .   He drops to them, they take him, and they have a major asset or the take him let Zak walk. 

Funny how it's one voice and it come out now. Give me a break!

https://www.knbr.com/2020/12/24/adam-schefter-responds-to-zach-wilsons-reported-character-concerns-predicts-when-hell-be-drafted/

• Like 1

Wilson's character stuff is no doubt a psyop by some NFL Team. The assumption, without it even sounding like an opinion, that Fields will come off as the 2nd QB is kind of a giveaway. There is no guarantee what so ever Fields is the 2nd QB that comes off the board. When it's all set and done, come draft time, I think Wilson goes before Fields. I see Fields going before Lance though, even though I like Lance more.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, Forge said:

Hadn't heard this, take it FWIW

I'm not putting any real stock in it. 

Only part I'll consider as someone's objective opinion is the bit about potentially being a flash in the pan. You either believe he is, or you believe his prior seasons were mere growing pains and he's going forward as the 2020 Wilson. 

The rest is assuredly garbage. I've never heard anything negative about his character- in fact, I've always just heard the opposite on commentary and in print. 

• Like 1

Dude drove 2-3 hours a day to practice with guys in offseason....then 2-3 hours back.

Character concerns, my ***.    I want to see Wilson's physical tools, because there's the bigger concern about how limited he is physically.   But character?   Come on.... talk about a counter-intel story.   

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Dude drove 2-3 hours a day to practice with guys in offseason....then 2-3 hours back.

Character concerns, my ***.    I want to see Wilson's physical tools, because there's the bigger concern about how limited he is physically.   But character?   Come on.... talk about a counter-intel story.   

He has great physical tools

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Broncofan said:

Limited physically? He has adequate size, good mobility, and a rifle for an arm.

• Like 3

Just started watching some of the top QB prospects since the Saints will likely be grabbing one early this year. 

Trevor Lawrence is obviously a stud. Not much needs to be said, he will be a great QB in the NFL.

Justin Fields is one I just am not really sold on. He looks like an excellent college QB and has some nice traits. Very athletic, and strong arm. I've watched a handful of his game cut ups and I really just get a strong Mariota vibe from him. It seems in many of his games his system has his receiving options running wide open on most of his throws.

Didn't really see him make many throws where he quickly scanned the field going through his reads and hit a tight window throw. Seems like it's almost always 1 read to a wide open WR. Not saying he can't do those things but it's a concern for me taking a QB that high. For all that straight line speed, he doesn't have much wiggle to his game either where he can beat you with his legs like a Lamar Jackson or Kyler Murray. I think he's a 1st round prospect but top 5 would scare me.

Kyle Wilson really impressed me. I flipped back and forth several times between videos of Wilson and Fields to try and spot who does what better. I must say if he makes it to pick #10 or so, I'm all in on the Saints doing whatever they need to do to trade up for him. He looks so much more advanced as a passer to me in comparison to Justin Fields.

Wilson seems to really scan the field and get through his reads very quickly. Appears to have a good feel for pressure in the pocket and has the ability to extend plays with his legs and throw the ball with velocity and accuracy from different arm angles. His overall accuracy and ball placement is very impressive. I see there are some concerns that he didn't play anyone, but I'm not too worried about that, the tape is impressive regardless and BYU isn't exactly the most talented team on offense, so if balances out a bit. As a player I kind of get some Aaron Rodgers vibes from him. It wouldn't surprise me if he becomes the best QB in this class.

Trey Lance seems to be comparable as a prospect in many ways to Josh Allen (not saying I think he will get to that level in the NFL). Smaller school, big physical athlete, strong arm, questionable accuracy coming out (I know he had 0 interceptions last year). In the games I watched I wasn't super impressed by Lance. He looks pretty raw, and doesn't seem to really do as much with his arm as I'd like to see. Appears a lot of his production comes from his legs. In some of the games I watched, he was missing on fairly easy throws without much if any pressure on him. Think he will need time to learn the NFL game and has pretty big boom/bust potential. I see why people are hyped about some of his tools, but he just looks like he has a ways to go in his development.

I'll have to watch Trask and Jones in the next few days. Don't think they will change my mind on Wilson being my top target for the Saints, but maybe one of them could be a solid consolation prize later in the 1st round. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 2

On 12/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, Forge said:

Hadn't heard this, take it FWIW

I'm not putting any real stock in it. 

• "Johnny Manziel comp without the [drugs]. [Wilson] is fun to watch, but is he a 1-year flash in the pan? He's a backyard baller who is fun to watch."

"Someone will grab him in the first [round]. I doubt he gets to the second [round] because once the third quarterback goes, after Lawrence and Fields, there will be a run on them. [Wilson] has character concerns, rich kid who is an entitled brat - uncle owns Jet Blue -, parents are a pain, not a leader, selfish, and he's a know-it-all.

"His positives are that he's super competitive, not to get scared and won't back down, extremely confident, very smart with keen recall and teammates will play for him."

That is a very interesting take honestly, the Johnny Manziel comp is a good one to him physically and with how they play.  But Johnny relied a lot more on his legs than Wilson does which is good for Wilson.  But Johnny was much more a head case than Zach Wilson who has not got into trouble nearly as often or been as controversial as Johnny was.   Both rely greatly on scrambling and making big plays down field with a strong throwing arm and get good velocity on their passes.  Johnny never was able to succeed obviously in the NFL for a variety of reasons, not having a good OL or a good run game could greatly change how Zach Wilson looks at the next level, his OL was absolutely superior to any DL he played all season outside of one arguably.  And even in that Coastal game the RB still had 8 yards a carry and well over 100 yards on the ground.

Rich kid is never a good thing, but I do not know him obviously.  He does not come off as very aloof as Josh Rosen was.  Rosen came off way more pompous and was not near the teammate, Zach Wilson interacts with his teammates and seems to be one of the guys and with his showcases of toughness running and being aggressive I think his teammates like him.  Granted he did not look anything like this last year when he actually played good teams, something he has not really done all season this year.  So it could be fools gold but hard to knock his arm talent and off platform throwing ability.

Interesting take that is for sure.  I do not know his parents but that means a ton, if the parents are a pain guess what he will be.  The talk of Wilson being the #2 QB in the draft is absolutely real though no doubt about it, which means he could go #2 overall.