Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

I think concerns about Jones's arm strength have been overblown a bit. Definitely not a Mahomes level cannon, but plenty enough Zip to make just about any throw. 

Jones reminds me a bit of a guy like Matt Ryan. Neither have excellent arm strength, but are plenty accurate to get the job done. Both are limited athletically, but smart in the pocket to maneuver around to buy more time to make a throw.

• Like 3

On 2/19/2021 at 12:25 AM, jrry32 said:

Yeah, I think Mills is a much better project than Mond. He reminds me of Sam Bradford. I agree with BrownLeader on the Josh Dobbs comparison for Mond. Mills's issues stem from inexperience. He's a very natural thrower with a quick release and a strong arm. Mond is just painfully inconsistent. I think Mills is a Day 2 pick who has legitimate starting QB potential (not just bridge QB or high-end backup potential) if he stays healthy. The durability is the biggest question mark with him.

That's not saying much.  Mond is a non-prospect.  Well, that might be a bit over an overreach, but if you're taking a draft and develop QB Mond isn't anywhere near the top of my list.

On 2/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, Ragnarok said:

If Christian Ponder, Blake Bortles, and Mark Sanchez can go top ten...Mac can too.  

I think Carolina at 8 is his ceiling and his floor is the Pats.

I feel fairly confident that the Hoodie is passing on a QB this year.  Think Chicago is his floor, but someone will trade up for him.

On 2/21/2021 at 3:31 AM, jrry32 said:

Andy Dalton came out about 10 years ago. Kirk Cousins would fit the bill too.

So I think that's what teams will have to weigh up. There's little doubt the most instant success from young QB's in recent years has come from those who have been able to find ways to move the ball out of structure and with their feet. Mac Jones has played very well on time in Alabama, partly because he's been able to. But you don't see much of the traits teams will be coveting and valuing. That's why I'd be surprised to see him picked high. A low 1st round selection seems about right. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2021 at 4:38 AM, goldfishwars said:

Yeah the Patriots aren't drafting a QB this year, feel confident about that. Way too many problems elsewhere. 

Can you explain that rationale? Will they only draft a QB when a better team is around that QB? Because QB is a pretty big need for the Pats, they rarely draft this high, and if you don’t have a QB...you lose. 

26 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

Can you explain that rationale? Will they only draft a QB when a better team is around that QB? Because QB is a pretty big need for the Pats, they rarely draft this high, and if you don’t have a QB...you lose. 

Yeah sure. There are holes all over the defense, and there are no receivers to throw to. Those issues can't solve themselves in one off-season, but you can put pieces in place to build up those foundational building blocks again. It's better than reaching for the 4th best QB available, whose career might be set back by playing on a bad team. If we suck again in 2021, then we can take a QB at an even better spot next year. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah sure. There are holes all over the defense, and there are no receivers to throw to. Those issues can't solve themselves in one off-season, but you can put pieces in place to build up those foundational building blocks again. It's better than reaching for the 4th best QB available, whose career might be set back by playing on a bad team. If we suck again in 2021, then we can take a QB at an even better spot next year. 

Thats also working off the assumption that the QBs available when you draft next year will be better prospects than Lance or Mac(assuming one of those two might be available this year).

If BB thinks Mac or Lance is a franchise QB and either is available, he will take them.

1 hour ago, Ragnarok said:

Thats also working off the assumption that the QBs available when you draft next year will be better prospects than Lance or Mac(assuming one of those two might be available this year).

If BB thinks Mac or Lance is a franchise QB and either is available, he will take them.

Nah, it's not working off any assumption for next year. It falls down to where are picking this year and how best to use the capital we have. BB is probably thinking about a trade down, more than taking a QB in the 1st this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they take a look at Cam Newton again or another FA and see what they can do with a strengthened receiver corps first. They've always worked better with veteran skill players than via development. 

15 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Nah, it's not working off any assumption for next year. It falls down to where are picking this year and how best to use the capital we have. BB is probably thinking about a trade down, more than taking a QB in the 1st this year. I wouldn't be surprised if they take a look at Cam Newton again or another FA and see what they can do with a strengthened receiver corps first. They've always worked better with veteran skill players than via development. 

I think you are somewhat underestimating Belichick. He evolves. I’d easily say there’s a coins flip chance they are better next year. And next years draft class is probably weaker than this one. It may take you guys pursuing a FA at the position if you don’t go QB this year. 

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

I think you are somewhat underestimating Belichick. He evolves. I’d easily say there’s a coins flip chance they are better next year. And next years draft class is probably weaker than this one. It may take you guys pursuing a FA at the position if you don’t go QB this year. 

With Trey Lance likely gone by pick 5, Mac Jones is the only QB realistically available at 15 and he's a complimentary QB, not someone you draft when you're in need of foundational pieces. We can draft a good player at a valuable position. Missing on a 'franchise' QB this year could set the Pats back a decade imagine rebuild. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

With Trey Lance likely gone by pick 5, Mac Jones is the only QB realistically available at 15 and he's a complimentary QB, not someone you draft when you're in need of foundational pieces. We can draft a good player at a valuable position. Missing on a 'franchise' QB this year could set the Pats back a decade imagine rebuild. 

I just question whether they could do better than Mac Jones next year in the draft. I think it's pretty questionable. So, would you rather miss this year or next...when you might be drafting even lower and with a worse draft class? As the lotto says, "you can't win if you don't play".

Edited by sammymvpknight

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I just question whether they could do better than Mac Jones next year in the draft. I think it's pretty questionable. So, would you rather miss this year or next...when you might be drafting even lower and with a worse draft class? As the lotto says, "you can't win if you don't play".

Look man, what are people's hopes for Mac Jones honestly? That's what it comes down to. I think he's a good college player but I suspect his ceiling is Kirk Cousins in the league. I don't think you want to draft Kirk Cousins to help turn around a rebuilding team. That capital is much better spent elsewhere.

• Like 2