Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

10 hours ago, LinebackerGod said:

Just officially studied Zach Wilson yesterday. He's got some unbelievable traits. He's got a great arm, solid athleticism, and puts the ball in crazy good spots. He reminds me a little bit of Baker Mayfield in terms of accuracy and ball placement. He's going to be good. I'm still taking Lawrence over him without question, but Wilson is significantly better than Justin Fields.

I've never been a Justin Fields fan. Got roasted for that a few months ago.

Mayfield was my comparison for him as well. 

4 minutes ago, iknowcool said:

What critiques do you have?

I have red flags that I have seen in his game but honestly don't have the energy to fight off the hive that follows, I just know he has some issues that can get him into hot water at the next level.

Is he an elite prospect?, yes, is he as flawless as people make him out to be? No. I just dont care for how people overly criticize one prospect but look the other way when it comes to the SAME criticisms of other prospects.

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I have red flags that I have seen in his game but honestly don't have the energy to fight off the hive that follows, I just know he has some issues that can get him into hot water at the next level.

Is he an elite prospect?, yes, is he as flawless as people make him out to be? No. I just dont care for how people overly criticize one prospect but look the other way when it comes to the SAME criticisms of other prospects.

Considering an entire thread was made asking if Lawrence has peaked, I don't think you have much to worry about the hive.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I feel what you’re saying, just seems odd to complain about no one critiquing him when you aren’t willing to list any critiques either lol

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

I have to admit I'm a little surprised both Smith and Waddle said they prefer Mac over Tua. Do they like Mac that much? Is that a shot at Tua?

one guy has draft stock that can improve, the other doesn't

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I mean, do you really think even people who love him as a prospect think he has no flaws/reasons for concern?

33 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Yeah, but I told you why.

Doesn't make it any less odd though.  It's like me saying, "so is nobody going to give a dime to the homeless?", meanwhile I've never given any money to a homeless person (as an example).  

Lawrence obviously isn't flawless as a player.  Nobody is, even at their peak.  I'm sure if someone wanted to (and they do), Tom Brady could be critiqued.  But at that point it just becomes nitpicking.  And I think that is why you won't see people criticize Lawrence a lot, because as a QB prospect, he checks basically every box.  But that is why I asked you.  What should people be criticizing about Lawrence, and is it anything that would/should make Lawrence vs Wilson/Fields a debate?  

LIS not saying there aren't critiques to be made.  I'm sure there are.  But it would feel like nitpicking to me.  In my opinion I don't think you can reasonably expect a QB prospect to be that much better than what Lawrence is, and that is why you won't see a lot of people pointing out whatever minor flaws he has.  Same with Luck.  He had flaws, but at the end of the day, he was as good of a QB prospect as you can reasonably expect, and so it just wasn't worth it looking at his weaknesses when he was about as safe of a bet as you can get.  Same with a lot of elite, top-tier prospects.

57 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Trevor, not flawless?

giphy.gif

• Like 4

On 3/3/2021 at 2:17 PM, Bullet Club said:

The top QB taken has only been the best QB in his class twice (counting Jameis over Mariota as one of them) in almost a decade. It wouldn't at all surprise me if Wilson was superior to Lawrence.

#1 QB, Best QB

2012-Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson

2013-EJ Manuel, Geno Smith?

2014-Blake Bortles, Derek Carr

2015-Jameis Winston 

2016-Jared Goff, Dak Prescott

2017-Mitch Trubisky, Patrick Mahomes

2018-Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson or Josh Allen

2019-Kyler Murray (early but seems pretty obvious)

2020-Joe Burrow, Justin Herbert (still early)

Zach Wilson better than Trevor Lawrence?

Ok who here had Zach Wilson as the potential #2 pick in the draft coming off his SOPH season at BYU?  Sure Joe Burrow made a similar jump but he had a massive change in coordinators and scheme along with a great collection of talent playing a super difficult schedule. 

BYU had the 67th hardest schedule in the nation this past season, Mac Jones who plenty rip on played the 2nd hardest schedule and Justin Fields played the hardest schedule.  

Zach Wilson granted had a fine OL, fine RBs, multiple good TEs and multiple receivers who were sound along with a good defense.  But the level of competition difference between his SOPH and JR season is pretty nuts.  When the best team you played all year is Costal Carolina in a loss that is not that great of a season.  Sure they played UCF but none of the hyped up DBs for UCF played that game I believe.  The year previous he played Washington, Utah, Tennessee and USC all in the same season and went 2-2 against them.  Good but clearly did not look great and did miss multiple games because of injury.  

Sure maybe he put it all together this year with an improved team but there are more than a few asterisks next to this season's performance.  

Trevor Lawrence has been good for so long, it is kind of like Deshaun Watson coming out of Clemson.  He was good for so long and had such high expectations, his final year people kind of got bored with him and a guy like Trubisky passed him up in the draft.  Same with Trevor, people are getting bored of him and want to just go for the new fresh QB that they are not as familiar with.

Granted Zach Wilson is very good but might be getting a little too much hype, especially considering who he played and did all of this against this past season.  Sure Trey Lance did not play a great competition level either but Trey Lance also did not play with as talented of a group as BYU and is much more of a project QB not expected to be great right away.

• Like 1