Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

10 minutes ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

How many QB's do you know have been successful without a good arm or athleticism? There are definitely a few, but those guys are very much anomalies rather than the norm. Tom Brady and Drew Brees (who has a much stronger arm and used to have some athleticism) will be used as examples, but that's about it.

Genuinely asking because I am not sure I have seen it come up often in arm strength conversations, but what about Matt Ryan? Dalton had some success, is he athletic? Bradford? Eli?

49 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except you're advocating doing exactly what they shouldn't be doing.  IF you're not convinced he's your franchise QB, you don't take him.  You don't draft someone with the hope they'll exceed your expectations.

Wait...when did I say that they should get them if they don’t like him?

5 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Genuinely asking because I am not sure I have seen it come up often in arm strength conversations, but what about Matt Ryan? Dalton had some success, is he athletic? Bradford? Eli?

I think the guys you are listing were all much more physically talented. Ryan could move around a little bit and had a great arm. He threw off platform a lot in college and was absolutely dotting people up on the run despite not being a "move" QB.

Bradford was able to move around a little bit. He wasn't a runner, but the dude could pick up chunks with his legs. Also, I think he's got a stronger arm by a good margin over Jones.

Andy Dalton is probably the closest one, but even Dalton ran quite a bit in college. He is more mobile than people realize. At least, he was in his youth.

Eli Manning is a statue for sure, but the dude was 6'5 with a very strong arm. I wouldn't consider him someone that lacked physical gifts.

I don't think Jones is doomed, but he's a tough eval IMO.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GodOfLinebackers said:

How many QB's do you know have been successful without a good arm or athleticism? There are definitely a few, but those guys are very much anomalies rather than the norm. Tom Brady and Drew Brees (who has a much stronger arm and used to have some athleticism) will be used as examples, but that's about it.

I don't agree with your premise here that Mac Jones doesn't have a good arm. He doesn't have a Mahomes level cannon, but it's plenty good to make just about any throw you need. 

If he can zip a 30 yard dart like this into a tight window, I'm really not too concerned about his arm. There's other examples out there as well of him putting solid velocity on throws in tight windows.

Also in regards to not having cannons and athleticism, if you cite 2 of the best QB's to ever play in the NFL fitting that mold (that also happen to be current NFL QB's with success in today's NFL), I'd say you just answered your own question. Matt Ryan doesn't have a cannon or athleticism, Phillip Rivers didn't have an elite arm or athleticism. Kirk Cousins doesn't have a great arm or athleticism. There's no reason a pocket passer like that can't succeed in today's NFL. Mac Jones can certainly be successful especially with the other quality aspects of his game that he has shown in regards to accuracy, anticipation, reading defenses, manipulating defenders, etc. All of that outweighs any sort of concerns about lack of athleticism or high end arm strength for me. 

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Have a feeling a lot of crow is going to be served in regards to Mac Jones in the next couple years. Outside of athleticism and a cannon arm, he possesses so many quality traits to be a good QB at the next level.

I’ll take it a step further & say he’ll be what many thought Josh Rosen was gonna be.

• Like 1

I can't bring myself to want to draft Mac Jones in the first round. There aren't a lot of examples of him facing the sort of adversity he will in the NFL on film, but when he did, the results were very mixed, including some bad miscues. Ultimately, I think the realistic upside for him is Kirk Cousins. You might be able to talk yourself into Kurt Warner or Drew Brees as his highest ceiling.

Problem for me is that I can't escape the feeling that the most realistic outcome for him is Andy Dalton, Teddy Bridgewater (caliber of QB; there are obvious differences in the skillsets), or a more durable Jimmy G. And on the low end of the spectrum, you could get Colt McCoy or Case Keenum. I think he's much more palatable on Day 2.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I can't bring myself to want to draft Mac Jones in the first round. There aren't a lot of examples of him facing the sort of adversity he will in the NFL on film, but when he did, the results were very mixed, including some bad miscues. Ultimately, I think the realistic upside for him is Kirk Cousins. You might be able to talk yourself into Kurt Warner or Drew Brees as his highest ceiling.

Problem for me is that I can't escape the feeling that the most realistic outcome for him is Andy Dalton, Teddy Bridgewater (caliber of QB; there are obvious differences in the skillsets), or a more durable Jimmy G. And on the low end of the spectrum, you could get Colt McCoy or Case Keenum. I think he's much more palatable on Day 2.

Well I'll definitely speak up for Bridgewater, that bowl game against Florida when he was taking shot after shot and he was dropping dime after time sold me on him. These are things I like to see, how guys respond to taking shots and getting hit in the mouth, are you going to mail it in or buckle up and compete.  I have not seen one time where Jones had to deal with this (not saying he wont be good either)

Edited by MSURacerDT55

8 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Well I'll definitely speak up for Bridgewater, that bowl game against Florida when he was taking shot after shot and he was dropping dime after time sold me on him. These are things I like to see, how guys respond to taking shots and getting hit in the mouth, are you going to mail it in or buckle up and compete.  I have not seen one time where Jones had to deal with this (not saying he wont be good either)

I liked Teddy a lot too. But that doesn't change what he has become in the NFL. I'm talking about outcomes, not a prospect comparison.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

These are things I like to see, how guys respond to taking shots and getting hit in the mouth, are you going to mail it in or buckle up and compete.  I have not seen one time where Jones had to deal with this (not saying he wont be good either)

Here's some examples of him being fearless in the pocket making big throws knowing he is going to take a pretty big hit if that helps sway your opinion at all

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Here's some examples of him being fearless in the pocket making big throws knowing he is going to take a pretty big hit if that helps sway your opinion at all

I get it, definitely not saying he wasn't capable of making those throws, he is a pretty good QB in his own right IMO but not worth the hype he's getting at all, and thats my opinion. Plus there is a big difference between passing under an occasional missed assignment and being over matched, how do we even know how he operates outside of the pocket? or under constant pressure? Those few clips cant tell. This guy has been in one of the biggest bubbles you could ever find

Plus could he have done all of these things on a less than talented team? Can he take a less than talented team in the NFL and elevate them with his play? I personally doubt those things. But thats my stance, it will be up to him to prove it wrong

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I get it, definitely not saying he wasn't capable of making those throws, he is a pretty good QB in his own right IMO but not worth the hype he's getting at all, and thats my opinion. Plus there is a big difference between passing under an occasional missed assignment and being over matched, how do we even know how he operates outside of the pocket? or under constant pressure? Those few clips cant tell. This guy has been in one of the biggest bubbles you could ever find

Plus could he have done all of these things on a less than talented team? Can he take a less than talented team in the NFL and elevate them with his play? I personally doubt those things. But thats my stance, it will be up to him to prove it wrong

The two Auburn throws are impressive because of the quick pressure and anticipation. But the first two throws aren't the sort of pressure that concerns me. Both are late pressure. Jones has the ability to go through his drop, move off his first read, and step into a throw before he's hit. I don't doubt Jones's toughness. I question if he has the composure to deal with legitimate pressure more regularly and still deliver. He's not the sort of dude who is going to make a career improvising outside of structure. So the question is if he can consistently win inside structure under NFL adversity.