Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Lets go Mel! Not a fan of his but couldn't agree more here.

I really hope Justin lands in ATL or CAR. 

Note that he also has Mac going #8 (ahead of Lance) in his mock. 

I'm super good if we made this deal to get Fields. Great fit for the Shanny offense. That being said, I see almost no chance it happens. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm super good if we made this deal to get Fields. Great fit for the Shanny offense. That being said, I see almost no chance it happens. 

I just don't want him in NYJ. Give me a spot with some legit weapons/great offensive mind that can help develop him. 

CAR, SF, ATL, DEN, etc.

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'll be honest, I don't think Trey Lance is viewed as highly by the NFL community as he is by draftniks.  I think he's going to be valued somewhat similar to Jordan Love last year.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'll be honest, I don't think Trey Lance is viewed as highly by the NFL community as he is by draftniks.  I think he's going to be valued somewhat similar to Jordan Love last year.

I've mentioned that in the 9er forum as well. I think that there's a better shot that he goes between 19-22 than there is he goes top 10 

4 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

I just don't want him in NYJ. Give me a spot with some legit weapons/great offensive mind that can help develop him. 

CAR, SF, ATL, DEN, etc.

For whatever reason, seems like Wilson is by far and away the favorite to go #2 just based on the media guys. Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but something worth noting. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I've mentioned that in the 9er forum as well. I think that there's a better shot that he goes between 19-22 than there is he goes top 10 

The only team(s) in the top 10 that I could see taking Lance are Detroit and Denver, and I think both are more likely to trade back up from their SRP to select him.  I think the QB tiers are going to break pretty evenly.  You've got Lawrence who is the top QB of the class.  I think Fields and Wilson are in that next tier, and I think you're going to see them split pretty evenly as to who is QB2 and QB3.  I think majority of the teams are going to have Mac Jones as QB4 and Trey Lance as QB5.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

The only team(s) in the top 10 that I could see taking Lance are Detroit and Denver, and I think both are more likely to trade back up from their SRP to select him.  

I'd imagine that Detroit will kick the tires with Goff this coming season, and build everything else up as best they can. If they do draft a QB, I bet it'll be a late round guy. 

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

The missed season is a HUGE risk. I mean...how many QBs do we see that has one good season in college and then flops the next? It happens. Lance wasn't a polished guy to begin with. I'd be really surprised if he was drafted before the other four guys...and there's even a chance he can go later than Trask or some other random late climbing QB.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I'd imagine that Detroit will kick the tires with Goff this coming season, and build everything else up as best they can. If they do draft a QB, I bet it'll be a late round guy. 

They're running Goff out there this year no matter what, but they're not tied to him in the slightest.  If he rebounds and he regains that value, they could easily flip him.  It really has no bearing on their ability to draft a QB high this year.  LIS, I don't think they draft one in the first round, but there's nothing preventing them from doing so.

2 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

The missed season is a HUGE risk. I mean...how many QBs do we see that has one good season in college and then flops the next? It happens. Lance wasn't a polished guy to begin with. I'd be really surprised if he was drafted before the other four guys...and there's even a chance he can go later than Trask or some other random late climbing QB.

I agree in theory but it's hard to square that explanation with Wilson being the guy who has more or less replaced Lance as the anointed alternative to FIelds. 

To the extent Lance might be 'falling' down draft boards - if that is indeed true - it seems like it's a combination of risk-aversion and recency bias. 

Edited by SalvadorsDeli

On 2/22/2021 at 5:19 AM, goldfishwars said:

So I think that's what teams will have to weigh up. There's little doubt the most instant success from young QB's in recent years has come from those who have been able to find ways to move the ball out of structure and with their feet. Mac Jones has played very well on time in Alabama, partly because he's been able to. But you don't see much of the traits teams will be coveting and valuing. That's why I'd be surprised to see him picked high. A low 1st round selection seems about right. 

This is how I feel too.  I like some of what I see from Mac Jones, but it's hard for me to advocate taking him or even considering him in the top 10 with his kind of skill-set.  Not to mention, while I'm usually of the opinion that it is far more important to evaluate the player than the team, I can't ignore the situation he was in allowed him to maximize the kind of player he is.  That isn't his fault by any means, but it makes it more difficult for me to project how well I think he can do when things aren't as likely to be as easy.

It was reported that one of the major reasons the Panthers are in a haste to move on from Teddy is because they don't think he has the physical skill-set to consistently win/play well.  If that is true, then I am not sure why so many people are mocking Mac Jones to us.  I can see what people are seeing as far as scheme-fit though, if you think Mac Jones is comparable to Joe Burrow as a passer (although Burrow showed more mobility at LSU than Jones did), which I think is a fair comparison although I don't think he's as good as Burrow.  But I'd be really disappointed with him as our pick at #8.  If we do that, I would rather wait and see if he falls to the 2nd.

Ultimately I just don't really see the high-end potential that I like to see in 1st round QBs.  Or at the very least, I think it is a lot harder for a guy like him to reach his potential than it is for other guys.  

Not sure who I would prefer between Jones and Lance.  Lance scares me.  You've really got to trust your offensive coaching staff if you take him.  For that reasons Panthers might be a better fit for him than others with Sean Ryan at QB coach and Joe Brady at OC, not to mention the skill guys around him.  But I still wouldn't be a huge fan.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

They're running Goff out there this year no matter what, but they're not tied to him in the slightest.  If he rebounds and he regains that value, they could easily flip him.  It really has no bearing on their ability to draft a QB high this year.  LIS, I don't think they draft one in the first round, but there's nothing preventing them from doing so.

My expectation is that the Lions will not draft a QB in the first this year. I could be wrong, but I think they're going to want to assess what they have. With the talented players likely to be available at the back-end of the top 10, might as well move forward with Goff and see what he can do in the short term. But all bets are off if a QB unexpectedly falls.

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Just found out Mac Jones's actual name is McCorkle and I kinda think he's undtaftable now.

I wasn't that hard on him, but...

On 2/8/2021 at 3:49 PM, Forge said:

Personally, I can't draft who's middle name is McCorkle in the top ten. Just one of those weird rules I have. 

(This was from the first time he was getting reports of top ten love)