Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

1 minute ago, tyler735 said:

I don't see it. Maybe the poor man's Walmart version of Taysom Hill, but Sam Ehlinger is nowhere near as explosive or strong. Taysom Hill ran a 4.44 40 time, last I saw of Ehlinger was a 4.8 40 time, he may have gotten faster since that time, but nowhere near Hill

And it's not like Hill is actually great as a QB. He's very meh as a QB, but good as a TE/RB/Offensive weapon for fun trick looks. Hill is a Gadget player, tbh.

4 minutes ago, scar988 said:

And it's not like Hill is actually great as a QB. He's very meh as a QB, but good as a TE/RB/Offensive weapon for fun trick looks. Hill is a Gadget player, tbh.

Yeah, Hill is garbage as a QB. If he can fix his fumbling issues, he's a really nice gadget player for us though and can make an impact in all sorts of ways.

1 hour ago, scar988 said:

I mean, we see this with some NFL teams. Sometimes, a dude is just a QB's favorite. Also, Smith just had a ridiculous season. Is this any different than Stafford throwing to Calvin in Detroit during Calvin's best year?

But here's the thing...even on Megatrons two huge years in 11 & 12, Stafford didn't clear those benchmarks. The only one he almost hit was the 40% yardage in 2012 (the year he had nearly 2K). But otherwise, he was  24% target (very normal) / 33% yardage / 39% TDs in 2011. In 2012 is was 28% (this is a little more atypical) / 39.5% / 20% td share. 

Again, I don't know what this mean. They are pretty arbitrary cut off points and its a fairly limited sample size of best wr in college football + good QB prospect. Optically, they just strike me as notable. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

But here's the thing...even on Megatrons two huge years in 11 & 12, Stafford didn't clear those benchmarks. The only one he almost hit was the 40% yardage in 2012 (the year he had nearly 2K). But otherwise, he was  24% target (very normal) / 33% yardage / 39% TDs in 2011. In 2012 is was 28% (this is a little more atypical) / 39.5% / 20% td share. 

Again, I don't know what this mean. They are pretty arbitrary cut off points and its a fairly limited sample size of best wr in college football + good QB prospect. Optically, they just strike me as notable. 

I'm not too worried about it. Mainly because it shows that he knows to target his best player when his best player is open. This is something film would need to back up, obviously.

2 hours ago, tyler735 said:

In hindsight sure it may be if Love pans out. How they were viewed by most as prospects. No, it's not.

Love wasn't inaccurate.  He lost like 95% of the players around him offensively because of the draft and graduation, and he lost his HC and OC the year before his junior year.  I'm not sure there's anyone who is going to be successful given that situation.

That's still potentially 3 first round picks at WR he played with, and regardless, we now know just how good Jefferson is. Doesn't really help the Burrow narrative here. It's splitting hairs, both offenses were so far beyond their competition, and it showed.

Marshall probably isn't going in the first round, but are we going to pretend that Alabama isn't likely to have back-to-back top 15 picks from the WR position?  The problem is Jefferson wasn't that good at LSU.  So you can't use the power of hindsight to justify it when at the time, Jefferson wasn't viewed as that great of a WR.

That's where we disagree, I think it's a great idea for a team. Guess we will have to wait and see how he does. Because I'm seeing a QB with excellent accuracy, touch, decision making, and an advanced ability to read a defense at the college level. 

As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's better to not draft a QB then it is to draft the wrong QB.  How many years has Chicago squandered their defense because they committed to Mitchell Trubisky?

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Love wasn't inaccurate.  He lost like 95% of the players around him offensively because of the draft and graduation, and he lost his HC and OC the year before his junior year.  I'm not sure there's anyone who is going to be successful given that situation.

Disagree. He wasn't really consistently accurate. It's not just me saying this. There was a pretty wide consensus he struggled to be consistently accurate

• Six games with multiple interceptions, including three pick-sixes
  • Below-average decision-making against zone looks
  • Allowed coverage to swarm due to lack of anticipation
  • Unusually spotty ball placement forced targets to work for catches
  • Completed just 31.8 percent of his deep throws

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/jordan-love/32194c4f-5613-0776-be4c-ce231b05c522

Needs to improve his field vision and awareness. Often fails to recognize or completely disregards coverage rotations and it doesn’t have a great enough impact on his decision making. He throws some careless, YOLO balls that need to be reduced. While there is a lot to like about his willingness to be patient and stay in the pocket, his internal clock is often tardy. Can be aggressive vertically to fault. Has to find more consistency with timing and progressions. Has general accuracy with plenty of misfires.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/jordan-love/PbA4nRzHfK

Weaknesses:

• Poor field vision
  • Has to improve working through his progressions
  • Must get more consistent at reading defenses
  • Often stares down his primary read
  • Needs to learn to move coverage with his eyes
  • Could stand to improve decision-making
  • Has some turnover issues
  • Accuracy issues
  • Will need to improve footwork
  • Not ready to play; needs development

https://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2020jlove.php

There were an insane number of throws made by Love to his first read this season that were just head-scratchers – some where the play was nowhere near to being fully developed, thus causing an unnecessary tight window throw. There were eight turnover-worthy plays of Love’s in 2019 that were to his first read, under 2.0 seconds, and into a tight window. That’s three more than anyone in those situations in 2019 (six of those resulted in an interception and another was negated by penalty). Along with that, Love’s decision-making and accuracy on his horizontal lead passes (throws in which he is leading the receiver across the field, like crossers, slants, etc.) was significantly worse. PFF charts every single quarterback pass made at both the collegiate and professional levels in a process led by former NFL quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, and the findings on Love are a big red flag.

https://www.pff.com/news/college-buyer-beware-on-utah-state-qb-jordan-love

Negatives
Slow to set up in the pocket and does not react well to pressure. Makes poor choices and puts the ball up for grabs on occasion. Must improve his ball security. Inconsistent with his accuracy. Passes can be all over the place at times.

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/utah-state-jordan-love-scouting-report-2020-nfl-draft/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Marshall probably isn't going in the first round,

Many mock drafts have him as a late 1st round guy. Likely worst case is 2nd round. Hardly anything to scoff at when he was Burrow's 3rd best WR target.

but are we going to pretend that Alabama isn't likely to have back-to-back top 15 picks from the WR position?  The problem is Jefferson wasn't that good at LSU.  So you can't use the power of hindsight to justify it when at the time, Jefferson wasn't viewed as that great of a WR.

Yeah Alabama is stacked as well. Yeah you can use the power of hindsight here. Jefferson was undoubtedly a 1st round WR prospect, and was drafted in the 1st round. Since then, he has shown he may be the best WR in that draft and was likely underdrafted even though he went round 1. Justin Jefferson had over 1,500 receiving yards and 18 touchdowns that final season at LSU. Those are tremendous numbers, and he followed that up with a historic rookie season. Joe Burrow had an insane supporting cast and so did Mac Jones. Not sure why you are trying so hard to argue against that fact.

As I've mentioned elsewhere, it's better to not draft a QB then it is to draft the wrong QB.  How many years has Chicago squandered their defense because they committed to Mitchell Trubisky?

I totally agree, it is better to not draft a QB then it is to draft the wrong QB. That's why I think it's a great idea for teams to draft the right QB in Mac Jones 😉

Edited by tyler735
  • Like 1

On 1/28/2021 at 9:07 AM, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Lance is as raw as can be. That dude can't read a defense to save his life and he locks onto his primary target and rarely goes through progressions. He's got a good arm and can run around though so people will love him. I don't see it. 3rd round prospect IMO.

This is exactly how I feel about Fields. Though I'm not huge on Lance even without 2020 tape he looks better the Fields to me

1 hour ago, Falconof Shadows said:

This is exactly how I feel about Fields. Though I'm not huge on Lance even without 2020 tape he looks better the Fields to me

Fields has improved and absolutely goes through his reads. He does use his physical ability, yes, but IMO his biggest problem is his accuracy. Fields is definitely a raw talent and should sit a year but Lance is on a whole different level. 

On 1/31/2021 at 5:01 PM, MD4L said:

I want to mention Kellen Mond as a QB I think is going to be a solid player at the next level. Has starter upside and a ton of experience with the same scheme at Texas A&M.

I was impressed by Mond's Senior Bowl. I thought he made good decisions on when to run, stand in, and where to throw the ball.

I have not watched enough Texas A&M to weigh in more than that.