Official 2021 QB Thread

NYRaider

Just now, jrry32 said:

As a Rams fan, I want you to not have Fields at #3. 😉

I am okay with Lance...I get that at least. I don't love it given how far from his ceiling he is, but I do get it, especially when you remember that all the tape you watch on him is from him playing at 19 years old. We are comparing him to 21 and 22 year olds. I'll begrudgingly accept Mac because I have no actual say in the matter, though it will be something that never will make any sense to me. On my deathbed, my final words would be, "Why Mac?......."

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Forge said:

I am okay with Lance...I get that at least. I don't love it given how far from his ceiling he is, but I do get it, especially when you remember that all the tape you watch on him is from him playing at 19 years old. We are comparing him to 21 and 22 year olds. I'll begrudgingly accept Mac because I have no actual say in the matter, though it will be something that never will make any sense to me. On my deathbed, my final words would be, "Why Mac?......."

*Kyle whispers in Forge's ear* "Because he's a durable version of my sweet, sweet Jimmy . . ." 😉

• Like 1

I really have been breaking down Lance and Fields pretty closely since the niners grabbed the 3rd pick. I keep coming back to the same thing when evaluating Fields and I wanted to bring it to the forum to see your thoughts...

does anyone think Fields’ floor is pretty close to Dak Prescott? I just see some similarities in their game. I also feel like Fields it’s starting to get the same treatment as Deshaun Watson got going into the draft. Both athletic quarterbacks who played at a very high-level for multiple years at a top college program. Both seen as guys who didn’t have the ability to process fast enough in the NFL. Much like Watson, I think Fields is being undervalued and his success at Ohio State is being under appreciated. 

20 minutes ago, 49to5er said:

I really have been breaking down Lance and Fields pretty closely since the niners grabbed the 3rd pick. I keep coming back to the same thing when evaluating Fields and I wanted to bring it to the forum to see your thoughts...

does anyone think Fields’ floor is pretty close to Dak Prescott? I just see some similarities in their game. I also feel like Fields it’s starting to get the same treatment as Deshaun Watson got going into the draft. Both athletic quarterbacks who played at a very high-level for multiple years at a top college program. Both seen as guys who didn’t have the ability to process fast enough in the NFL. Much like Watson, I think Fields is being undervalued and his success at Ohio State is being under appreciated. 

It's definitely not his floor. His floor is washed out in six years. But I don't hate a dak comp in general

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's definitely not his floor. His floor is washed out in six years. But I don't hate a dak comp in general

I think by ceiling and floor is often used wrong. I always use it in terms of if the player becomes as good as they can be where is their ceiling and floor. 

I can envision fanbases going "I can't believe Fields/Lance went 3rd/4th in their own draft class".    

I just can't envision the same regret with saying "Mac Jones fell to 5th QB in this draft class".    Even if the guys ahead of him don't pan out, the ceiling difference is so massive.    I get that he's got the perceived higher floor....but in this era, ceiling matters so much.  

8 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I can envision fanbases going "I can't believe Fields/Lance went 3rd/4th in their own draft class".    

I just can't envision the same regret with saying "Mac Jones fell to 5th QB in this draft class".    Even if the guys ahead of him don't pan out, the ceiling difference is so massive.    I get that he's got the perceived higher floor....but in this era, ceiling matters so much.  

I said it in the niners forum (well, actually a tweet did it for me). 

In time, can Lance / fields do what Mccorkle gives you?

In time, can mccorkle do what fields and Lance do?

If the answers are yes and no (spoiler,  they are) then Mccorkle can't (or at least shouldn't) be the pick. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I said it in the niners forum (well, actually a tweet did it for me). 

In time, can Lance / fields do what Mccorkle gives you?

In time, can mccorkle do what fields and Lance do?

If the answers are yes and no (spoiler,  they are) then Mccorkle can't (or at least shouldn't) be the pick. 

This took me a minute to figure out. I was reading it like, "What's a McCorkle?" And then it hit me, "Oh right, he's the 49ers' future #3 pick."

• Like 2

14 hours ago, 49to5er said:

Other than their mobility, not really.  Fields is a better athlete then Dak is/was.  And I think Fields is still developing the nuances as a passer.  Prescott's appeal was his relatively high floor.  Didn't think he was ever going to be an elite QB, but probably one of those above-average QBs who could put together a strong career.