Vikings Trade Ngakoue To Baltimore

SemperFeist

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

You’re looking at it in hindsight, which is always the wrong approach. 

After trading for Ngakoue, there were two options left. Re-sign him. Or let him leave in free agency. Re-signing him was always going to be tricky and require some Brzinzski magic. And letting him leave in free agency would, at best, get you a compensatory 3rd. 

This move gets back your conditional 5th, and not only guarantees you a 3rd, but also accelerates it a year. 

Fair enough. I would've preferred to re-sign him. They had to have had a plan to do that when they traded for him. It is a moot point now. Guess we'll get to really see what we have in Wonnum and Odenigbo. 

If Spielman is here for the draft, which I assume he will be, he'll have ammo to hopefully move UP and not down.

5 minutes ago, The Gnat said:

I would have loved to have seen Yannick and Hunter together as well, but I'm guessing that Yannick implied that he wouldn't resign, so getting something is good, and it's a big drop, but that's better than nothing. I fully expect some of Harrison Smith, Anthony Harris, Reilly Rieff, and Kyle Rudolph are all options to be moved as well. I'd be find moving basically all of them, though it'll be sad to see Harrison Smith or Kyle Rudolph leave.

I doubt we see any one else moved. Maybe Reiff, but that’s it. 

Really sucks that we traded a high 2nd round pick for what will be a late 3rd round pick. Should’ve never gotten Ngakoue in the first place. We could’ve used that money to at least re-sign Everson. I like Spielman a lot but this was a bad move. I think we are trying to lock in a top 5 pick. Would’ve been nice to have a top 5 second round pick as well. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, twslhs20 said:

At least Spielman understands the concept of sunk cost.

This. The trade should never have been made in the first place, but it was. The question NOW was....what to do now. They probably got info that the wouldn't sign here (not in a way they could manage everything). At this point, trading him makes sense. Now trade more players.

57 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

You’re looking at it in hindsight, which is always the wrong approach. 

After trading for Ngakoue, there were two options left. Re-sign him. Or let him leave in free agency. Re-signing him was always going to be tricky and require some Brzinzski magic. And letting him leave in free agency would, at best, get you a compensatory 3rd. 

This move gets back your conditional 5th, and not only guarantees you a 3rd, but also accelerates it a year. 

I’d think they would have only made a trade for him if they had a plausible path to getting a deal done. But it’s not surprising that Spielman would throw away a valuable pick to try and salvage a season due to injury. It was an odd trade to begin with and even odder if he wasn’t an actual part of the future. So lose an early second round pick to gain a late third round, just dumb all around. I hope there’s a fire sale after all of this but I don’t want to see Spielman leading the rebuild.

4 minutes ago, PrplChilPill said:

This. The trade should never have been made in the first place, but it was. The question NOW was....what to do now. They probably got info that the wouldn't sign here (not in a way they could manage everything). At this point, trading him makes sense. Now trade more players.

I do agree with that.  I think the thought was good at the time, because the opportunity was there and doesn't come around all that often.  But, it became clear early on that it wasn't going to work, so rather than double-down, he moved him.  And I agree that they should trade Reiff and Harris, if possible, since they aren't in the plans for 2021.

24 minutes ago, Purplepride323 said:

Really sucks that we traded a high 2nd round pick for what will be a late 3rd round pick. Should’ve never gotten Ngakoue in the first place. We could’ve used that money to at least re-sign Everson. I like Spielman a lot but this was a bad move. I think we are trying to lock in a top 5 pick. Would’ve been nice to have a top 5 second round pick as well. 

The trade seemed to be universally welcomed at the time. They tried to re-sign Everson, but he wasn't interested, and the way he has played in Dallas this year that may have been for the best. I think Spielman absolutely misevaluated how good the team was when he made the Yannick trade and that was a mistake that cost cap space and about 45-50 spots in the draft, but good on him for realizing that and not marrying himself to whatever contract Ngakoue was going to demand to try and justify the deal.