Week 7 vs Chiefs

lomaxgrUK

2 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Haven’t watched any college football this year, but a friend of mine told me about him.

Even then, I think Drew Lock can be this teams franchise QB.  He has the talent.  I love his confidence but he just crosses into an area that is dumb for a guy who had made less than 10 NFL starts.  He’s a terrible arrogant interview.  He just needs to tone down that look.  Someone close to him needs to go to him and tell him he has done nothing in terms of NFL success.  

And to say it isn’t noticed isn’t reality.  Lock knows it’s noticed, he has memes made of it.  Do his coaches/players care as much, probably a small portion, but it’s not as if it’s nothing. 

I’m not ready to throw in the towel on him yet. But just a suggestion if he doesn’t improve.

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

I’m not ready to throw in the towel on him yet. But just a suggestion if he doesn’t improve.

Same.  I just don’t know enough outside of the top 3 to say I’d take one of them over Lock, as Lock is an excellent talent.

A good friend of mine coaches in the FCS and has coached against both Wentz and Lance.  He told me Wentz was the better, more pro ready player going into the draft, but Lance has the higher upside mostly because of his ability to be an impact runner and how that’s a big trend in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

I have no problem with what Shurmur has done and view him as an obvious upgrade from Scangarello. I don’t even think it’s close. It would not be hard at all for a quality QB to move the ball and score a lot in this offense. It’s a failure of execution from a lot of rookies and second year players. 

So, watching the replays it appears Drew leaves lots of yards on the table by going for the big gain. I like the design with deeper patterns but he's ignoring the "clear out" provided by the deep routes. Short to medium in the middle of the field looked pretty open. 

I just don't think he get's it yet. As you point out, neither does half the offense. If he's still having these issues 4 or 5 games from now that would be a big problem.

Edited by AKRNA

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

For the record, I haven’t seen one person outside this forum discuss his TD dance...at all. Who cares? It was the first quarter and they (should have) tied the game there. I find discussing things like this to be more in the spirit of hot take radio crap than anything to ever actually think about. 

I never have liked the choreographed celebrations, I think it's a bit much, but no real issue. 

I guess my favorites are the sack dances when you're down 38-0, getting your butt kicked and it's the first big play you've had all day. Those crack me up.

Edited by AKRNA
  • Like 1

My only comment for tonight - while Lock really had an awful game - let's also recognize that NE is probably a WAY more flawed team that we thought.    They got their ****es handed to them today.    Last week's W is still good for the team core's development - but the reality is we're still another offseason away from legitimate contention.  Of course, that premise also lies in Lock being our guy.   

Honestly, I do wonder if he's still hurting - because he definitely bails with pressure now, and unlike pre-injury, his eyes aren't downfield when he does scramble.  Now, that's somewhat understandable after your first big injury, but it has to change for him to progress.   We'll see.

Remember the adage that teams are seldom as good as their best week....nor as bad as their worst.  I hope the same applies to Lock here.

Edited by Broncofan

6 hours ago, Cutler06 said:

One thing  noticed, how many times did Lock leave or was forced to leave the pocket ???

Those are two totally different things, and have totally different ramifications. II can't wait to get in to the all 22 to figure out whether he had to leave the pocket or chose to leave the pocket.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jolly red giant said:

Obviously like the fact that he recognized he has to start playing QB and not sandlot football.  He was also incredibly uncomfortable the entire 5 minutes, which again is really the first time he’s faced these questions, but it was obvious to anyone who watched the #1 reason Denver was not competitive yesterday was because of Drew Lock.

Hate his first response.  Sounds a lot like his take when asked by Dave Logan about his INTs vs the Patriots.  Playing QB isn’t easy, we all know that.  

This week's game with LAC likely decides Elway's activity at the trade deadline.  If we go to 2-5, then guys like Tim Patrick are likely attractive trade pieces (guys set to be UFA's, so no long term future likely with our team next year, especially for WR).    

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

This week's game with LAC likely decides Elway's activity at the trade deadline.  If we go to 2-5, then guys like Tim Patrick are likely attractive trade pieces (guys set to be UFA's, so no long term future likely with our team next year, especially for WR).    

Frick man, I would be signing Patrick to a long-term.  He has been the only reliable WR out there.  I think if you can role out Sutton and Patrick as your outside guys and throw Jeudy into the slot that'd be just fine.  I wouldn't know what to do with Hamler....special teams ace, gadget guy?  

Last night was another reminder of Elway not taking Kyler Murray seriously as a QB prospect, just like Lamar Jackson the prior year (that one is more understandable, but Elway was even more dismissive of Lamar). I believe Elway spent most of his time talking about how important it is for QBs to play under center when asked about Kyler. Hey John, you got a QB who has a live arm, touch, accuracy, elusiveness in the pocket, ability to throw from all kinda of angles and platforms, and can also take off for 50 yards if you let him. “But can he play under center?”

Kyler Murray is a star and most people who focused on the things he did at a high level saw this coming. And yes I realize we never had a shot at him but I’m certain they wouldn’t have taken him if they did have a chance either. 

For the record, I’m still higher on Drew than I was when we drafted him. Because I’ve seen he can win games taking what’s given to him by NFL defenses. The physical talents were always obvious, processing the game at full speed was a concern and honestly the biggest surprise of his play last year. 

What we do offensively with Shurmur really is an ideal fit for Drew, but he has abandoned the process of reading the field because he always wants to escape to the right and throw downfield. But “Let Drew be Drew” all game is just not going to work. He’s a decent athlete, but not an elite one. He’s not going to be able to consistently outrun edge defenders and linebackers to the sideline so he can step into those throws. And he hasn’t shown the consistent touch to hit those plays even if he can get his footwork right. 

• Like 1