Giant Tidbits: Random team discussion & rumors

y*so*blu

12 hours ago, y*so*blu said:

I'm hearing rumors that Shepard and Zeitler may be among the players cut to save space due to the lower cap. There might not be anything to it, but if there is I would have mixed feelings. Shepard struggles to stay on the field, but he showed up for us later in the season (unlike Slayton). Zeitler is one of our best offensive linemen and I'd much rather restructure his contract than just lose him.

Are you sure you are hearing Shepard might be cut and don't mean Golden Tate. Cutting Golden Tate makes a lot of sense. I don't want to see Zeitler go simply because we have question marks about who is starting at LG, I don't want Daniel Jones to deal with issues at RG as well. I believe Zeitler is declining so was wanting the Giants to get just one more season out of him. Who knows perhaps they could offer him to take a pay cut as an option.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Go_Giants said:

Are you sure you are hearing Shepard might be cut and don't mean Golden Tate. Cutting Golden Tate makes a lot of sense. I don't want to see Zeitler go simply because we have question marks about who is starting at LG, I don't want Daniel Jones to deal with issues at RG as well. I believe Zeitler is declining so was wanting the Giants to get just one more season out of him. Who knows perhaps they could offer him to take a pay cut as an option.  

I'm sure. Fireside Giants went on for 20 minutes about the pluses and minuses of moving on from Shep (and Zeitler too).

But if we're cutting WRs, Tate is definitely my first choice.

• Like 1

The Athletic has an article up about potential cap casualties for every team. It was always kind of expected that some names will hit the market due to the cap coming down, but to see the names, there should be a good opportunity for us to add several guys on reasonable deals. Specifically, they have plenty of CBs hitting the market. Being able to lock in the #2 guy on a reasonable deal would be huge for us. 

There weren't a ton of attractive WR names out there, but there was a multitude of OL and some surprising names at other positions like Jaylon Smith. I don't think we'd go after him but someone that young hitting the market is intriguing. Point is, this roster should look very different by Week 1, even if some signings bleed into training camp. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

The Athletic has an article up about potential cap casualties for every team. It was always kind of expected that some names will hit the market due to the cap coming down, but to see the names, there should be a good opportunity for us to add several guys on reasonable deals. Specifically, they have plenty of CBs hitting the market. Being able to lock in the #2 guy on a reasonable deal would be huge for us. 

There weren't a ton of attractive WR names out there, but there was a multitude of OL and some surprising names at other positions like Jaylon Smith. I don't think we'd go after him but someone that young hitting the market is intriguing. Point is, this roster should look very different by Week 1, even if some signings bleed into training camp. 

It's a fantasy mock draft but I'm seeing the same thing with tcmd.  Tons of talent in the fa at cornerback, that we could easily find one that fits our scheme.  @YogiBiz and I just signed Michael Davis - CB, Chargers and Nicholas Morrow - LB, Raiders.  Both of them I believe would make this defense better.  There are also a lot of edge rushers in this FA as well.  

If the Giants do it right they could land some excellent players that fit our team needs.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2021 at 1:37 AM, Go_Giants said:

It's definitely Tate, not Shepard. And it's not a maybe, it's a near certainty. Tate would save over 6M. Shepard would save 3M. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WideRight said:

It's definitely Tate, not Shepard. And it's not a maybe, it's a near certainty. Tate would save over 6M. Shepard would save 3M. 

Nothing this GM does surprises me anymore.  Shepard is the last of the Giants team prior to him taking over.  He's gutted every single player that was on the roster prior to him showing up regardless how good or bad they were.

I'd say it would be a mistake to do it because Tate is well past his prime, but I said it was a mistake to sign him after they traded OBJ. 

11 hours ago, ny92mike said:

Nothing this GM does surprises me anymore.  Shepard is the last of the Giants team prior to him taking over.  He's gutted every single player that was on the roster prior to him showing up regardless how good or bad they were.

I'd say it would be a mistake to do it because Tate is well past his prime, but I said it was a mistake to sign him after they traded OBJ. 

It's very easy to look at the deal now and say it didn't work out, and you could also say then that he was an aging player and a 4 year deal wasn't going to work out but context is important too... that FA WR class was bad. The team was in disarray and they went ahead and signed one of the most consistent WRs on the market. 

And by the time the team realizes it's not going to work out (happening now), they're already in a position to relatively painlessly move on. 

So did signing Golden Tate get us anywhere? No definitely not but what would you have done different? Maybe take a WR earlier than they took Darius Slayton that year but that takes a crystal ball. So all in all, Golden Tate's time with us gets a shoulder shrug from me. 

• Like 1

Reports have come out that the Giants and Leonard Williams are "not close" to agreeing on a new deal.

It sounds like Leonard still wants to be one of the highest-paid defensive linemen in the NFL. If the guy had been a stud since he was drafted, it would be a different story, but he's trying to ride one great year to a rebuild-busting contract.

If he's not open to a more reasonable deal, I say tag and trade or let him walk.

1 hour ago, y*so*blu said:

Reports have come out that the Giants and Leonard Williams are "not close" to agreeing on a new deal.

It sounds like Leonard still wants to be one of the highest-paid defensive linemen in the NFL. If the guy had been a stud since he was drafted, it would be a different story, but he's trying to ride one great year to a rebuild-busting contract.

If he's not open to a more reasonable deal, I say tag and trade or let him walk.

Regarding this 

EvGRURCXUAEDSix?format=jpg&name=large

Leonard Williams is a big outlier in terms of QB hit to sack ratio. He's going to get paid regardless, but if he converted his pressures to sacks at a more "normal" rate (like he did in 2020), he'd be in the conversation as one of the best D-linemen in the league.  He also wouldn't have been traded to the Giants for a 3rd round pick..

He's probably going to get $20 mil per year.  And the Giants should pay him

Edited by Gmen
  • Like 2

My gut says Solder gives us a little bit of a break on the restructure and we keep him. We're not in a terrible cap situation and he is a proven veteran that can start on the left or right. This season is all about a veteran OT starting until Peart can overtake him. Solder is as proven a veteran OT as we are going to find. 

2 hours ago, GMENNATION said:

My gut says Solder gives us a little bit of a break on the restructure and we keep him. We're not in a terrible cap situation and he is a proven veteran that can start on the left or right. This season is all about a veteran OT starting until Peart can overtake him. Solder is as proven a veteran OT as we are going to find. 

A little bit of break?! Solder better  be down right generous with his restructure. He has not in any way lived up to his contract. I feel the Giants are being a bit too nice and should be telling him to accept a flat out pay cut. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Go_Giants said:

A little bit of break?! Solder better  be down right generous with his restructure. He has not in any way lived up to his contract. I feel the Giants are being a bit too nice and should be telling him to accept a flat out pay cut. 

The Giants would free up about $6mil by cutting Solder. They'll have to spend at least $4mil to find a remotely suitable alternative in FA, if not the full $6mil or more. 

So cut Solder and re-sign someone else. Cap hit: ~$14mil ($10mil in dead cap, $4mil for replacement). Even if you go post-June 1st the cap hit would be around $10.5mil ($6.5mil in dead cap, $4mil for replacement AND kicking $10mil in dead cap into 2022). 

If they can get Solder to agree to ~$12.5mil for 2021, I would take it. Yes, it's a lot for what he's produced. But it's only $2mil higher than what we would have to pay to replace him. And there's no guarantee his replacement would be any better. And I'd rather not add $10mil in dead cap to 2022 if we don't have to.