Trade Deadline

howru8888

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Bears are apparently trying to acquire Alex Mack? I think? 

I saw this rumor. I would like this move, for now, but my concern is that 1) deadline players usually cost more and I can't imagine Mack taking a 1 year deal.  And 2) Mack is 35 years old and this would be a patch a work job and not a long term fix for the future QB. 

My guess is that Nagy wants to bring him just to get through the season. Move Whitehair back to Guard like he did last year until Daniels gets back and then he would keep Mack at Center next year, Daniels at LG, and move Whitehair to RG.  That's a pretty strong interior offensive line. 

13 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I saw this rumor. I would like this move, for now, but my concern is that 1) deadline players usually cost more and I can't imagine Mack taking a 1 year deal.  And 2) Mack is 35 years old and this would be a patch a work job and not a long term fix for the future QB. 

My guess is that Nagy wants to bring him just to get through the season. Move Whitehair back to Guard like he did last year until Daniels gets back and then he would keep Mack at Center next year, Daniels at LG, and move Whitehair to RG.  That's a pretty strong interior offensive line. 

Acquiring Mack would be a good stop gap for the rest of 2020 provided he doesn't cost more than a late round pick, but he is a FA after this season so no guarantee he would return. 

I agree though that when Whitehair returns from his calf injury you put him at LG over Coward because he is better suited there anyway.  Then next year re-evaluate the Center and Tackle positions and have both Whitehair and Daniels return at LG & RG.

Maybe Ifedi can be kept on as a RT over Massie? Would love to see with this Hambright kid has at some point.  Is he a legit candidate to replace Leno at LT next year or is he junk?  

Edited by topwop1

18 minutes ago, 41st ward Chicagoian said:

I can. Pace’s philosophy is coaching over talent with the Oline. He thought bring in Castillo would improve the same talent year over year.    

You mean Nagy's philosophy?  He was the one who decided that Hiestand was the problem and brought in his pal Castillo.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

I cannot believe Pace has not made an OL move. I am literally shocked that they are going to let this season go down the tubes.

Hopefully he's just waiting until the Falcons lose again tonight so he could offer less in a trade for Mack.  No player they would trade for now would be eligible to play this Sunday anyway so they're kind of screwed for the Saints game either way.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Acquiring Mack would be a good stop gap for the rest of 2020 provided he doesn't cost more than a late round pick, but he is a FA after this season so no guarantee he would return. 

I agree though that when Whitehair returns from his calf injury you put him at LG over Coward because he is better suited there anyway.  Then next year re-evaluate the Center and Tackle positions and have both Whitehair and Daniels return at LG & RG.

Maybe Ifedi can be kept on as a RT over Massie? Would love to see with this Hambright kid has at some point.  Is he a legit candidate to replace Leno at LT next year or is he junk?  

I don't know what Mack (center) has left in the tank.  But you are right, an acquisition like that allows you to move Whitehair to LG, which greatly helps your team and a solid center is probably a wash to slight upgrade over Whitehair right now.  Improves two positions.  I'm not sure something like that couldn't happen (at a lesser level) if you simply started Mustipher at center and slide Whitehair to RG.

Concerning Ifedi...he was poor as a RT in Seattle.  I don't see that as an upgrade.  I do see it is as a "wash", though, and the upside is that Ifedi costs a whole lot less.  While I do not think that he is much of a player, at the contract you have him on, he does have value.  Especially if he can sub in at RG while playing RT or vice versa. 

Edited by vegas492

8 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't know what Mack (center) has left in the tank.  But you are right, an acquisition like that allows you to move Whitehair to LG, which greatly helps your team and a solid center is probably a wash to slight upgrade over Whitehair right now.  Improves two positions.  I'm not sure something like that couldn't happen (at a lesser level) if you simply started Mustipher at center and slide Whitehair to RG.

Concerning Ifedi...he was poor as a RT in Seattle.  I don't see that as an upgrade.  I do see it is as a "wash", though, and the upside is that Ifedi costs a whole lot less.  While I do not think that he is much of a player, at the contract you have him on, he does have value.  Especially if he can sub in at RG while playing RT or vice versa. 

Agreed.  I don't think Ifedi is all that good but he is a natural tackle and could probbably be an improvement over Massie though that is not saying much.

As for the C postiion I thought Mustipher held his own in the brief amount of playing time he got after Whitehair got hurt. Could be worth a longer look there, or they may not even have a choice but to play him this Sunday.

Imo you make an Oline move now, because you need 3 new starters for next season, and there's almost no way you're getting all three AND a QB of the future in the draft (not to mention that you wouldn't even want 3 of your Oline all hitting contact years at the same time, and a QB is likely going to force us to spend capital moving up). 

40 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Agreed.  I don't think Ifedi is all that good but he is a natural tackle and could probbably be an improvement over Massie though that is not saying much.

As for the C postiion I thought Mustipher held his own in the brief amount of playing time he got after Whitehair got hurt. Could be worth a longer look there, or they may not even have a choice but to play him this Sunday.

I think Whitehair is banged up a little, so you will see Mustipher play.

And...it seems like centers are kind of easy to replace.  I think that when/if that happens, having Whitehair next to a new center will be a very good thing.

Adding Daniels back next year will help.  And if you are going to flip Ifedi out to RT, then you really only have LT to upgrade.

Though I think you should draft a RT as well, let him compete with Ifedi.  Even if Ifedi is your backup RG, RT, there is value in that, especially on that contract.