Trevor Lawrence potentially staying for senior year

RuskieTitan

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30203144/clemson-tigers-qb-trevor-lawrence-hints-staying-senior-season-rather-opting-nfl-draft

Clemson Tigers quarterback Trevor Lawrence is leaving the door open about his football future despite previously saying he planned on heading to the NFL after this, his junior season.

The 6-foot-6 Lawrence, considered the likely No. 1 pick in next spring's NFL draft, said he hasn't ruled out returning to Clemson for another year instead of going pro.

"My mindset has been that I'm going to move on," Lawrence said Tuesday. "But who knows? There's a lot of things that could happen."

At the forefront could be which NFL team is in line to draft Lawrence. Right now, that's the New York Jets, who are 0-7 and the league's only winless team.

Seems like Lawrence is well aware of how god awful the Jets franchise is run, from the coaching to the front office, and if they end up with the #1 selection, he may choose to avoid attaching his career to the Jets.

To me, it's most likely he's still going to declare, but the fact that he's come out and made these comments makes it clear that he does not wish to wind up on the Jets.

Edited by RuskieTitan

I wouldn't be surprised if this is just Lawrence trying to draw more intrigue and attention to the decision he makes after the season.  He already said prior to the year that this would be his last one.  Maybe this is him trying to reclaim some of the limelight? 

I don't care who picks 1st, staying another year is stupid for him.  He's a guaranteed top 3 pick, almost indefinitely #1 this season.  Nothing good can come from returning, for his long-term.  If it's the Jets, and he is 100% confident he doesn't want to go there, pull an Eli Manning if they pick you even after you made it clear in the draft process you wouldn't play there. 

Besides, who is to say that the team picking #1 next year will be any better?  Typically the #1 pick goes to an unstable and bad franchise. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

To me, it's most likely he's still going to declare, but the fact that he's come out and made these comments makes it clear that he does not wish to wind up on the Jets.

Context is important, in the interview he was asked if there was anything that would make him reconsider returning to school. And he basically just gave a PC response saying he's still leaning towards leaving but who knows because anything could change between now and then. 

Another thing to note about the Jets management is that Joe Douglas took over late in the offseason so he didn't have any role in hiring Adam Gase, signing Bell, etc. And last offseason was really his first in terms of being able to make personnel moves. So if he were to end up with the NYJ he'd likely be going there with a brand new head coach and a GM that has made it clear he's interested in building a good offensive line. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Besides, who is to say that the team picking #1 next year will be any better?  Typically the #1 pick goes to an unstable and bad franchise. 

All of the Jets recent poor personnel decisions and coaching hires were made by Mike Maccagnan. We'll have to see what Joe Douglas does and his vision for the team but adding Becton at OT and Mims at WR were good moves to support a young quarterback. Plus they have some extra draft capital to work with this year due to the Adams trade so it may not take them long to turn the ship around if Lawrence is as good as advertised. Draft Lawrence, add some more weapons in free agency/draft, and hire Bieniemy as the head coach and they wouldn't be in a terrible spot. 

Plus for Lawrence if he's the guy that can turn it around for the Jets and get them back into contention he will basically be a demi-god in NYC. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, beekay414 said:

I mean, why not just go the Eli route and say something along the lines of "I will not play for the Jets" or the sort?

No real need for him to do that at this point in the process. As we get to the actual off-season i could see him taking this route then. He's just putting smoke out there for others to start thinking about. Plus, he's leaving his options open...

I mean, what if Dabo ends up coaching/running the Jets player personnell choices this off-season? Maybe he changes his tune...

Edited by kgarrett12486

6 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

He's not going back, but writers have to write something.

This.  The spin is starting already.  Last year, it was Burrow who would balk at playing in Cincy.  Every year, the talking heads want to drum up the Eli situation and see who they can apply it to presently.  Lawrence gets to be the guy until he officially declares, but the Eli narrative won't stop until his name is announced at the podium.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

One thing to remember is the NCAA will likely have name/imagine/likeness rules next year, so Lawrence could pick up endorsement deals to hold him over another year

It's also taking a year off the back end of his NFL career when he'll be getting paid the most, not to mention the endorsements aren't going to make up for a fully guaranteed NFL contract in additional to the more plentiful endorsements he'd get as an NFL rookie.  Especially in a big market like New York if the Jets tank comes to fruition.

• Like 2

Yeah I think it's absurd to think he'll go back rather than play for the Jets. If anything he'll Manning it and just force a trade but even that I think is unlikely. Like was said above, people were saying this same stuff last year about Burrow and it was dumb then too. It's just the media stirring up clicks. I'm gonna be annoyed if this becomes some yearly talking point.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hear me out. Don't sleep on the Carolina Panthers to put together a package deal to trade up for the #1 overall pick. Here's how they could do it!

Carolina trades Christian McCaffery to the Miami Dolphins for both of their draft picks.

So now Carolina has #10, #11, #18 (If the season ended today)

Carolina then trades al three first to the NY Jets for the #1 overall pick. Draft Trevor Lawrence who gets to stay in the Carolinas. And Carolina can still build around him. 

19 minutes ago, nozzyboi said:

Hear me out. Don't sleep on the Carolina Panthers to put together a package deal to trade up for the #1 overall pick. Here's how they could do it!

Carolina trades Christian McCaffery to the Miami Dolphins for both of their draft picks.

So now Carolina has #10, #11, #18 (If the season ended today)

Carolina then trades al three first to the NY Jets for the #1 overall pick. Draft Trevor Lawrence who gets to stay in the Carolinas. And Carolina can still build around him. 

Except that there is literally zero chance the Dolphins trade two draft picks for McCaffrey.  They wouldnt do it for one of their firsts.

• Like 1