The Pats QB situation

Apparition

Some other teams with elite QBs over the past 20 years... 

Packers: Ingle Martin, Brian Brohm, Matt Flynn, BJ Coleman, Brent Hundley, Jordan Love 

Saints: Adrian McPherson, Sean Canfield, Garret Grayson, Tommy Stevens 

Steelers: Mason Rudolph, Josh Dobbs, Landry Jones, Dennis Dixon, Omar Jacobs 

Colts (other than Luck): Jacob Eason, Chandler Harnish, Curtis Painter, Jim Sorgi 

Those guys have started a grand total of 3 games for other franchises.

Pats track record is actually really strong.

• Like 3

Belichick should only get a QB if he feels great about him. My preference is not a QB and take the best talent available but if Belichick feels this team will pick at 15 or probably worse next year with a weaker crop of QBs and he really likes a QB, he should go for it. If it is Fields at 4, so be it.

11 hours ago, Crimmage said:

Drafting in general has been below average last 5 years

Nick Caserio took over in 2008 so I would think his 1st draft was 2009. In general it looks like he average (rough guess) 3/4 players per draft however nothing special as a whole. Yes he's had great picks such as Hightower and Gronk but overall there's not many that stand out based on how many were drafted during that period. To many Ted Karras and Duron Harmons not enough Baileys and  Michael Onwenu

Pats had to many " singles and doubles and a power hitter that stuck out to many times " during his tenure"

I know BB had final say however IN GENERAL he would (assume) choose from the information gathered by NC staff. Garbage in garbage out.

I have to wonder if BB was move involved with the 2020 draft knowing NC had one foot out the door? The draft is one player away from being pretty impressive. Devin Asiasi. Even without DA you can't complain with the haul they had, 4/5 picks that can play, and two that could be Patriots stars when all said and done.

2021 will be key draft to see who was the major reason behind our draft failures. BB on the island by himself this year!!

Edited by m haynes

9 hours ago, mission27 said:

If they draft Mac in the first round I'll be bullish. 

As might I. I've been optimistic about Mac Jones with the Patriots since early-mid January when suggesting they take him early in the first round. Everyone else caught up and sees his value there now.

The Patriots have a terrific track record of getting the most out the QB's they have drafted, even if none of the QB's are good starters, they at least have performed for a short period of time. The Pats have been good at finding backups in the middle rounds of the draft who on average maxed out at about a seasons worth of games filling in during their careers as starters. That is all you can ask for from a backup, so good on the Patriots for finding backup quality QB's. Finding a long term starter is harder. Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett, Brian Hoyer, and Matt Cassel aren't that. Whether it be durability, consistent decision making, or a lack of elite traits as a leader, all of those guys have fallen into the category of being best suited to backup duty. Again, for a backup QB role the Patriots have been elite as far as drafting. But when it comes to finding good starters on offense regardless of position, they have struggled to evaluate and select from the available talent on the board more so I think than other teams.

Edited by DoleINGout

4 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

As might I. I've been optimistic about Mac Jones with the Patriots since early-mid January when suggesting they take him early in the first round. Everyone else caught up and sees his value there now.

The Patriots have a terrific track record of getting the most out the QB's they have drafted, even if none of the QB's are good starters, they at least have performed for a short period of time. The Pats have been good at finding backups in the middle rounds of the draft who on average maxed out at about a seasons worth of games filling in during their careers as starters. That is all you can ask for from a backup, so good on the Patriots for finding backup quality QB's. Finding a long term starter is harder. Jimmy G, Jacoby Brissett, Brian Hoyer, and Matt Cassel aren't that. Whether it be durability, consistent decision making, or a lack of elite traits as a leader, all of those guys have fallen into the category of being best suited to backup duty. Again, for a backup QB role the Patriots have been elite as far as drafting. But when it comes to finding good starters on offense regardless of position, they have struggled to evaluate and select from the available talent on the board more so I think than other teams.

Yeah.  And I mean I get that Jimmy isn't a star but the guy is 24-8 with a career 98.9 passer rating, he completely transformed perceptions in SF, and took them to a Super Bowl.  I think a lot of people would be happy if the Pats could draft another (more durable) Jimmy G, even at the 15th pick.  You can build around a guy like that. 

I finally talked to David Morris about Davis Mills. Keep in mind that Mills is one of the QBs he is working with but he said he felt that Mills would be the second best QB in this draft class next season and has potential to be the best. He said it would take him a few games to be ready but that he is very smart and coachable. He said that his only real negative is experience. I asked about him struggling when pressured he counter with "Did you see Jones in the SEC championship game or Fields in the National Championship?" He said that he feels that Mills will be the most under drafted QB in the last 20 years. 

• Like 4

I would ask this question to the draft know it all ?  You think Lance is great. (yes/ No)

Well here's a scenario I want your opinion on. What would happen if Fields was the QB for Lance's team!!!!!!

Crickets!

Edited by m haynes

On 3/23/2021 at 10:51 PM, mission27 said:

Some other teams with elite QBs over the past 20 years... 

Packers: Ingle Martin, Brian Brohm, Matt Flynn, BJ Coleman, Brent Hundley, Jordan Love 

Saints: Adrian McPherson, Sean Canfield, Garret Grayson, Tommy Stevens 

Steelers: Mason Rudolph, Josh Dobbs, Landry Jones, Dennis Dixon, Omar Jacobs 

Colts (other than Luck): Jacob Eason, Chandler Harnish, Curtis Painter, Jim Sorgi 

Those guys have started a grand total of 3 games for other franchises.

Pats track record is actually really strong.

Great post I wish I knew how to save it. I would use it every time someone complains about  Pats QB drafting. 

I also wish I could find something to use with WRs. BB has missed, but in the draft were the probability on missing a player is high. IMO he doesn't put much ( priority) stoke in the position. I'm not saying that's wrong or right but I tend to agree when it comes to 1st RD and big FA targets. I also think he has to change his thinking in today game not so much as star but skill set.

Based on BB WR track record he missed (who I care about) on three WRs  Harry, Bethel Johnson and Dobson. Johnson one really ticked me off!! Another J Richard moment!!!

I can't blame him on Chad Jackson.    Everyone had him as the second coming and when they drafted him in the 2nd he was the steal of the draft.  This happens to every team. I was giddy when they got him!!!! Talk about a kick in the nuts!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, m haynes said:

Great post I wish I knew how to save it. I would use it every time someone complains about  Pats QB drafting. 

I also wish I could find something to use with WRs. BB has missed, but in the draft were the probability on missing a player is high. IMO he doesn't put much ( priority) stoke in the position. I'm not saying that's wrong or right but I tend to agree when it comes to 1st RD and big FA targets. I also think he has to change his thinking in today game not so much as star but skill set.

Based on BB WR track record he missed (who I care about) on three WRs  Harry, Bethel Johnson and Dobson. Johnson one really ticked me off!! Another J Richard moment!!!

I can't blame him on Chad Jackson.    Everyone had him as the second coming and when they drafted him in the 2nd he was the steal of the draft.  This happens to every team. I was giddy when they got him!!!! Talk about a kick in the nuts!!!

There are so many 1st round WR that are misses second round WR is much worse. I know that people can name this guy or that guy that was picked as a WR but there are a lot more that don't make. Also Harry was one pick away from being a second rounder. 

On 3/24/2021 at 9:50 AM, mission27 said:

Yeah.  And I mean I get that Jimmy isn't a star but the guy is 24-8 with a career 98.9 passer rating, he completely transformed perceptions in SF, and took them to a Super Bowl.  I think a lot of people would be happy if the Pats could draft another (more durable) Jimmy G, even at the 15th pick.  You can build around a guy like that. 

A guy like Jimmy on a rookie contract puts you in the super bowl conversation if you build around him properly. Hard to win, because super bowls are hard to win, but QBs at that level on rookie deals are still very cost effective (the problem comes from when people erroneously give guys like Goff / Wentz / Cousins the big deal afterward) 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

I don’t like any of the QBs who would be Available  when NE picks 

I'm not sure that there will be any QBs available where NE picks lol. This may be the first time 5 QBs go in the top 10. I still find that hard to believe, but it seems a lot more reasonable now that it seems like it's definitely for sure that QBs are going 1-3. 

If Mac Jones is there at 15, I don't think it's a bad move to take him. I don't love Jones because of the lack of traits, but I think he can be a solid QB. I just think that you have to one and done him on the contract. If It's lance that somehow falls there, i think you absolutely shoot your shot with him. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-planning-to-trade-up-for-quarterback-or-acquire-jimmy-garoppolo-after-draft-pick-swaps-per-report/amp/

This is what Jeff Howe of the Athletic had to say. 

Howe, meanwhile, reports the Patriots "already planned to remain aggressive on the quarterback front" entering the draft. They've been "all in" on the 2021 QB class, "heavily scouting" top prospects like Trevor Lawrence, Zach Wilson, Justin Fields, Trey Lance and Mac Jones.

Now, after the 49ers' big move up to the No. 3 overall pick, the Pats remain "committed to exhausting their options ... either by drafting a top prospect or acquiring a veteran" like Garoppolo, per Howe. They'd likely need to trade all the way from No. 15 to the Falcons' No. 4 selection to guarantee a top QB pick -- a move that could cost even more than what the Niners paid (two future first-rounders and a 2021 third-rounder) to swap with Miami. But they could also target someone like Jones with a later top-10 pick.

If the draft doesn't shake in their favor, Garoppolo has already drawn the Patriots' interest. And "other teams don't believe" the 49ers' public and anonymous backings of Garoppolo as their 2021 starter, especially now that San Francisco has presumably moved up for a new QB. "Once the Niners stop bluffing," Howe reports, New England could be at the front of the line when it comes to trade talks for the former Super Bowl starter, who began his career as Tom Brady's backup with the Pats.

26 minutes ago, Forge said:

I'm not sure that there will be any QBs available where NE picks lol. This may be the first time 5 QBs go in the top 10. I still find that hard to believe, but it seems a lot more reasonable now that it seems like it's definitely for sure that QBs are going 1-3. 

If Mac Jones is there at 15, I don't think it's a bad move to take him. I don't love Jones because of the lack of traits, but I think he can be a solid QB. I just think that you have to one and done him on the contract. If It's lance that somehow falls there, i think you absolutely shoot your shot with him. 

I’m not a fan of his and yeah I don’t think he will be there. I don’t want them to trade to 4 to get the 4th best QB prospect. 

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

He can say anything he wants. It doesn't mean its true. The article didn't even have the proverbial " unnamed sources ".

There is not one person on the planet that has any idea what BB is going to do in the draft. Especially Sports writers.