Defensive Coordinator Search

Joe

And that’s why I prefer 4-3.  Those two reasons.  Aesthetics and not relying on unpredictability.

I prefer the mentality of execution over scheme.

Belichick hasn’t had elite defenses due to scheme, it’s been about constantly preaching, “Do your job,” without complicating the job.

Execute or someone else will.

Kirksey is only playing because he understands the defense.  Simplify Martin’a job and he thrives.  Simplify Barnes’ job and he thrives.

I hate Pettine the coach (not the person I’m sure he’s fine), but I hate him.

8 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

And that’s why I prefer 4-3.  Those two reasons.  Aesthetics and not relying on unpredictability.

I prefer the mentality of execution over scheme.

Belichick hasn’t had elite defenses due to scheme, it’s been about constantly preaching, “Do your job,” without complicating the job.

Execute or someone else will.

Kirksey is only playing because he understands the defense.  Simplify Martin’a job and he thrives.  Simplify Barnes’ job and he thrives.

I hate Pettine the coach (not the person I’m sure he’s fine), but I hate him.

Your base defense is irrelevant in 2020.

• Like 4

I mentioned this in another thread and I think it needs to be mentioned here with a little more analysis:

We need to understand how Pittsburgh and Baltimore consistently develop their IDL; in particular Pittsburgh. When was the last time you looked at their IDL and said, what a bunch of JAGs? Sure, guys get banged up, but there's a consistency of success along their front-7 each and every year despite not having a 100% draft success rate. They've hit way more than they miss and they know exactly when to bring on a Justin Smith via FA.

We, on the other hand, had to rely on journeymen who were rotational guys just to put together a reasonably solid IDL under Capers(think 2014-2016); BJ Raji finally had enough of the failure around him to retire early. We've been crap since and you have to admit that something is terribly wrong when we evaluate IDL. Think that's extreme? Consider that for every Kenny Clark or Mike Daniels we land, we land 3 or 4 Montravious Adams's or Khyri Thorntons. We even draft guys like Lawrence Guy(no pun intended) who gets cut and goes on to shine elsewhere and if you really look at our recent history it's like we're not even trying - we don't care how good our IDL is as long as Kenny's there. He gets hurt and we're screwed...

A serious change needs to occur here and a new DC can bring that attitude, strategy, and in the area of IDL in particular - scouting. Remember when Josh Norman got hot as a DB? Go look at who was in front of him in Carolina's front-7 and look who was coaching them. Same thing with Richard Sherman and Brandon Browner's first stint in Seattle; though this isn't to take away any of their accomplishments or demote the need for a solid secondary, which I still feel we have and can improve upon with a better-than-average starter and more development from Sullivan and Hollman.

The good news is that Lowry's come on as of late as much as many of us, myself included, would hate to admit it. However, that just means that we have two, maybe 3 legitimate IDL's in Lowry, Keke, and Billy Winn(who we should've selected over Terrell Manning or Jerron McMillian in that draft) to place beside our star IDL in Kenny Clark. Pittsburgh has their star in Cam Heyward though you could make an argument for Tuitt being their star; behind them is a cast of high picks such as Tyson Alualu and Chris Wormley with a Day 3 gem in Isaiah Buggs; hell DeMarcus Christmas who was a good and draftable player out of FSU is on their PS. They get it, we don't and it's just that simple.

We've got our Cam Hayward in Kenny Clark, but we've got to find our Stephon Tuitt and Tyson Alualu...

Edited by Joe

Sooo you probably dont follow the Ravens D too close huh?  Carl Davis, Bronson Kaufusi, Tyus Bowser, Chris Wormley, Tim Williams, kamalei correa, Brent Urban (lawrence guy), they got lucky finding two guys who can clog the middle, Pierce and Williams the last few years. They run on plugs and blitzes with strong secondary play. Like thats winks M.O.

14 hours ago, Joe said:

We need to understand how Pittsburgh and Baltimore consistently develop their IDL; in particular Pittsburgh. When was the last time you looked at their IDL and said, what a bunch of JAGs? Sure, guys get banged up, but there's a consistency of success along their front-7 each and every year despite not having a 100% draft success rate. They've hit way more than they miss and they know exactly when to bring on a Justin Smith via FA.

The Steelers are starting two former FRPs, and a SRP on their DL.  They're currently playing 75% (Stephon Tuitt), 40% (Tyson Alualu), and 83% (Cameron Heyward) of their defensive snaps.  Comparatively, the Packers have Kenny Clark (53%, 1st Round Pick), Dean Lowry (57%, 4th Round Pick), Kinglsey Keke (44%, 5th Round Pick), and Tyler Lancaster (35%, UDFA).  The Steelers haven't developed their IDL better, they've simply invested in it more.  The Packers just really have half-arsed their efforts to fortify their IDL.  If you subscribe to Planet Theory, the Packers need to.  Going back to 2009 (when we switched to a 3-4 defense), the Packers have used 7 picks on IDL in the first 3 rounds.  However, since 2014, that number is a measly 2 (Kenny Clark and Montravius Adams).

• Like 5