Defensive Coordinator Search

Joe

We have unanimously come to the conclusion that Pettine needs to go. Pettine's scheme does not work with our personnel and Gutey has proven time and again that he's disinterested in investing in the IDL. Instead, like TT before him, he would rather win games in shootouts with a bend-don't-break defense. Pettine's scheme is also quickly becoming obsolete much like Dom's scheme became as such during the 2011 season. One would hope that MLF would lobby for a change at the end of the season if not before. With Winston Moss out the door, that removes any chance that Moss, who was waiting in the wings under MM forever, would assume the role of DC. 

In the spirit of not bringing in a retread, it would behoove us to look for the next fresh defensive mind. These potential candidates are not listed in any order of preference by myself. Obviously, feel free to add your own suggestions.

1. Drew Wilkins, OLB coach, Baltimore Ravens: Wilkins began working with the DL roughly 10 years ago and has been a staple on the Baltimore coaching staff moving over to OLB just this year. His bio suggests he works primarily with the EDGE players, but his work with the DL is more notable. Wilkins would be adept to working with older and more experienced coaches that would be retained from Pettine's staff.

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/team/coaches-roster/drew-wilkins

2. Kris Kocurek, DL coach, San Francisco 49ers: You would think that I would go with Johnny Holland here and I wouldn't mind the nod given his reputation, but Kocurek is also a former player that has quietly worked his way up the coaching ranks. Kocurek  is very similar to our offensive line staff in that he can take a player drafted in practically any round, or UDFA, and make them starter material in a short hurry.  Like Wilkins, Kocurek has over a decade of experience in the league.

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/kris-kocurek

3. DeMeco Ryans, LB coach, San Francisco 49ers: Many of us remember Ryans as a stellar ILB with the Eagles during his prime, but what many do not know is that Ryans has been very active in youth football sponsoring and hosting numerous camps in his home state of Alabama and elsewhere. Ryans has fewer years of coaching experience compared to the first two, but his organizational skills and experience should make him a prime candidate for the job. As a player, Ryans had excellent vision for his position and today he would surely be wearing the green dot on his helmet.

https://www.49ers.com/team/coaches-roster/demeco-ryans

4. Eric Henderson, DL coach, Los Angeles Rams: Henderson is credited for developing and strengthening one of the most solid DL's in football. Prior to joining the Rams last season, Henderson served in the same capacity for the Los Angeles Chargers the previous two years. Henderson is a rapidly ascending coach having moved directly to the Chargers from UTSA where he prepared Marcus Davenport to be a first round pick. Henderson's approach would be an excellent fit for Kenny Clark as well.

https://www.therams.com/team/coaches-roster/eric-henderson

Fire away!

Edited by Joe

18 minutes ago, ccecilnosebleed said:

Can we add to this list who is available now, in the dream scenario that somehow Pettine got fired let's say, after Thursday night's game?

If that happens Jerry Gray would be interim and we'd potentially hire an outsider after the year.

Well if we fired Pettine, we'd probably stop gap with Jerry Gray or Mike Smith. 

For 2021 we'd probably go with a younger guy that has worked with MLF in Tenn/LAR/ATL who is now some type or assistant DC. I'm sick of going with older rehash guys like Capers/Pettine. New blood please.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Same. How about that MN assistant, is it Capers?

I would take Capers over Pettine in a heartbeat.

Capers never had EDGE talent as good as Z and P.  Not once while he was here.  His best EDGE duo in his career here was Matthews and old Peppers.

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I would take Capers over Pettine in a heartbeat.

Capers never had EDGE talent as good as Z and P.  Not once while he was here.  His best EDGE duo in his career here was Matthews and old Peppers.

Ahhh I think matthews and peppers were better than 2020 z and preston there for awhile.

2 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

Ahhh I think matthews and peppers were better than 2020 z and preston there for awhile.

Were they?  Peppers had one double digit sack season, Matthews had one.  Separate years.  Then look at the secondaries Capers had those years.