Raiders Offense Thread 2.0:

MrOaktown_56

Wanted to open up a general offense thread:

What do you want to see more of going forward?

Once we can start moving people consistently (like last week), I'm expecting some more deep shots to Ruggs/Agholor/Waller.

I also want to see Waller run more routes down the field and get more targets on vertical seam routes, etc. . Not just outs, hitches, slants, screens, etc.

I said it last week and we actually saw it once from what I remember against the Browns and that is more bootleg plays. Makes so much sense with the run game we have and the TE's we have and with the speed we have at WR. It's really easy yards for Waller and company. Can also throw in some jet sweep in the bootleg as well. 

• Like 2

My biggest complaint so far is the lack of Ruggs underneath. I feel like he's already done enough getting separation down the field (on his catches but even on the barely incomplete passes) that teams fear him getting over the top and have seen more than in past seasons with Carr throwing it that we can take advantage of the cushion he often time gets. Don't get me wrong, keep dialing up the deep passes, but we have done enough to be respected that way that we can now kind of shift back to getting him looks on slants, crossing patterns, screens, etc... And that in turn will make the deep shots open up even more. 

• Like 2

As most have said, I'd like to see us getting the ball in Ruggs hands more on slants, short crosses and designed screens. I'd also like to see us use more spread formations with Ruggs drawing the safeties deep but running with Jacobs just to get him some lighter boxes.

One or two designed roll out runs for Carr or an occasional RPO (which worked really well in Cleveland) could go a long way towards making the LBs question their keys too, we don't want Carr running too much but a couple times here and there would be beneficial to the whole offense I think as right now the D simply doesn't even consider it. I'd also like to see a little more Moreau, he's sneaky athletic and a good receiver, no more Witten screens in 3rd and long please!!! 

• Like 1

Was rewatching some plays. Yes Ruggs gets attention but his lack of usage is puzzling. Why is Jason Witten getting more involved than Ruggs?

Why does Ruggs never get short/intermediate targets? Where are the slant routes? Crossers? Screens? Hitches? 

It's like we have the unbelievable, explosive talent who you drafted at 12 overall and you forget that they're there?

This is what happened with Cooper. 2 completely different players but how can you just not find ways to get your biggest threat the ball man?

Overall.... this offense has been stuck in 2nd gear by injuries and play calling.... I can’t wait for us to chirp the tires through 3rd gear and hit 4th... possibly 5th (I don’t think we’ll get that far).

theres so many areas that we could improve.  First, we need to get Jacobs back to being consistently in ‘19 form.  Mix in Booker (and use him more) plus Richard in the passing game (he’s unstoppable on those routes when he can break inside or out on a LB/S). 

We gotta use Waller on deeper routes.... he’s just getting these dump off passes.  We’re holding him back.  Use him like we use to use Cook plus more.... attack the seem, flex him outside 1vs1, go deep, etc.

Get Ruggs the ball consistently on short routes then send him deep..... get CBs chasing him on slants and crossing routes.... then when there playing closer you attack deep.  If we can run the ball in dominating fashion it opens up the playaction deep ball.

We need to get Agholor the ball more too.... and Edwards once he’s back.

I could go on and on in detail..... it’s simply insane that our offense is doing so good yet is only scratching the surface.

We all seem to think Ruggs needs to see more of the action and get more targets and opportunities with ball in hand which raises the question why are we not utilising him more?

What are the theories behind this out there.........., is Gruden just not scheming for him enough? Is Carr not seeing him or deliberately avoiding him for some reason? Is Ruggs not running correct routes or not getting open?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We all seem to think Ruggs needs to see more of the action and get more targets and opportunities with ball in hand which raises the question why are we not utilising him more?

What are the theories behind this out there.........., is Gruden just not scheming for him enough? Is Carr not seeing him or deliberately avoiding him for some reason? Is Ruggs not running correct routes or not getting open?

imo Carr likes to throw to guys he trusts, theres been a couple miscommunications on balls to Ruggs a few times this season. I wouldnt say he doesnt trust Ruggs yet, but i dont think hes always his first option at the moment. I do think we need to scheme Ruggs open and get him some manufactured touches. He should be targeted a minimum of 8x per game. 

I'll echo the notion of we need to prioritize getting Ruggs more involved. I don't like the fact we're targeting him mostly on deep shots. Sure those are nice but like others have said he should be getting lots of screens, reverses, drags, etc. Get the ball in his hands early so he can blow by people. 

Seeing other rookies going OFF this year makes me annoyed too haha. Jeudy had a fillllthy TD this weekend, Lamb is killing it, Claypool, Jefferson... man what a class.

Carr has already rushed for more yards this season than all but one of his previous years and has accounted for 10 first downs with his legs. He is 30 yards away from breaking his personal best rush yards in a season. 

DC has kept plays alive with his legs and is making more plays out the pocket, and is also keeping drives alive by moving the chains with his legs. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I'll echo the notion of we need to prioritize getting Ruggs more involved. I don't like the fact we're targeting him mostly on deep shots. Sure those are nice but like others have said he should be getting lots of screens, reverses, drags, etc. Get the ball in his hands early so he can blow by people. 

Seeing other rookies going OFF this year makes me annoyed too haha. Jeudy had a fillllthy TD this weekend, Lamb is killing it, Claypool, Jefferson... man what a class.

i get you on being annoyed by other rookies production, but Ruggs has a better record than all of the guys you listed except Claypool. As you know Ruggs makes a difference even when he isnt being targeted. But yea, id love the production to boot. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Carr has already rushed for more yards this season than all but one of his previous years and has accounted for 10 first downs with his legs. He is 30 yards away from breaking his personal best rush yards in a season. 

DC has kept plays alive with his legs and is making more plays out the pocket, and is also keeping drives alive by moving the chains with his legs. 

A few people have been saying this for a couple years now.  Maybe the fear of injury is starting to go away.  Running when needed really opens up the defense.  He still needs to learn how and when to give himself up.  He has looked really bad on a couple runs where I was just waiting for the cart to come out.