Raiders Offense Thread 2.0:

MrOaktown_56

7 hours ago, Totty said:

So... I think at least 40% of Jacobs carries should be toss plays.  

You dont like the I formation run up the middle mandatory first down play. No doubt we use 22 personnel more than everybody except maybe ravens. It seems like we give booker most of the tosses though. 

3 hours ago, RaidersAreOne said:

I don't like the fact we're targeting him mostly on deep shots. Sure those are nice but like others have said he should be getting lots of screens, reverses, drags, etc. Get the ball in his hands early so he can blow by people. 

This was one of my concerns with taking Ruggs over some other guys- we wouldn't be creative with him and he'd become used as a one-trick pony.

45 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Ruggs is struggling a bit with press coverage, but alot of us seen this coming. He needs to be moved around a bit and schemed open. Hes lightning with the ball in his hands, i dont get why getting him the ball isnt a top priority. 

We should use him on kick returns.

I don't think Ruggs is 100% healthy. Pokes a hole in his leg before season and gets banged up when we did put the focus on him. Availability is the #1 ability and he makes a HUGE difference just being available. Long season and he will add size/strength each season. Maybe Gruden is thinking playoffs and making sure we have him for that. A few more touches to keep reminding other teams would be good, but don't need to 'feature' him as long as were winning. 

33 minutes ago, agarcia34 said:

Really feel like Gruden needs to do a better job at getting the WRs more involved in the offense. We have to be at the bottom of the league when it comes to completions to WRs. 

If Waller and Ruggs caught those passes the game would've looked very different.  Also, DC was trying to force 2-3 passes to Agholor that were well defended.  It's hard to get the passing game going with both starting OTs out.  We were airing it out back when we had time for plays to develop.  Now the OL can barely keep DC clean.

Seems like they're trying to shoehorn Ruggs into a DeSean Jackson role whereas in college he did a lot of his work after the catch too.

Also, he and Carr don't seem to have very good chemistry yet (outside the one improv play yesterday). Ruggs also simply hasn't been a dependable target. He's been out of bounds a few times that he should have stayed in bounds, and he had a pretty bad drop (or ball went through his hands) when he got a deep target yesterday. Agholor has generally has shown better ball skills (but even he had a terrible drop yesterday).

Need to clean up our act if we're going to try to sweep the Chiefs off their bye

• Like 1

On 11/10/2020 at 12:25 AM, G said:

I don't think Ruggs is 100% healthy. Pokes a hole in his leg before season and gets banged up when we did put the focus on him. Availability is the #1 ability and he makes a HUGE difference just being available. Long season and he will add size/strength each season. Maybe Gruden is thinking playoffs and making sure we have him for that. A few more touches to keep reminding other teams would be good, but don't need to 'feature' him as long as were winning. 

dont see what his injury has anything to do with not getting his feet inbounds (i still think he did against CLE to be fair), or having a ball go through his arms like yesterday. i think he looks fine physically.

On 11/16/2020 at 8:48 AM, Turnobili said:

Seems like they're trying to shoehorn Ruggs into a DeSean Jackson role whereas in college he did a lot of his work after the catch too.

Also, he and Carr don't seem to have very good chemistry yet (outside the one improv play yesterday). Ruggs also simply hasn't been a dependable target. He's been out of bounds a few times that he should have stayed in bounds, and he had a pretty bad drop (or ball went through his hands) when he got a deep target yesterday. Agholor has generally has shown better ball skills (but even he had a terrible drop yesterday).

Need to clean up our act if we're going to try to sweep the Chiefs off their bye

That play was terrible.  Not even overthrown really, just didn't time the catch right.  Could've been that he didn't see the ball coming until it was too late.  Hopefully these mistakes are corrected.  I wish we would use him for more slant plays.  I recall seeing a lot of his slants going the distance when he played for Alabama.

4 minutes ago, Jerry said:

That play was terrible.  Not even overthrown really, just didn't time the catch right.  Could've been that he didn't see the ball coming until it was too late.  Hopefully these mistakes are corrected.  I wish we would use him for more slant plays.  I recall seeing a lot of his slants going the distance when he played for Alabama.

Agreed. 

Ruggs did the majority of his damage when I was watching cut ups of his time at Alabama before the draft off of slants, drags, screens, etc. He did have some deep shots, but he was deadly off of shorter slants and such if he makes one guy miss a lot of times he outruns the entire defense. 

I hope we start to see some of that. Don't get me wrong, I love the deep ball too. But Ruggs was taken too high and IMO has the ability to be more than just a one trick pony, deep threat only type WR. I still believe in him. And as long as the offense is producing like it is, there isn't a ton to complain about. Especially without being able to see the All 22 tape to see just how much of a difference his speed is making in terms of how defenses play us. 

I kind of feel like Aghalor is playing the role we wanted Ruggs to hit the ground running and do from day one. And as awesome as it is that we found someone productive for super cheap that can come in and produce (NA was a high draft pick himself), it's unfortunate to this point that we passed over Lamb who I think would be a great fit alongside Waller, Jacobs, Aghlor, etc. A reliable, sure handed WR that gets open consistently and doesn't drop many passes. But obviously we couldn't draft with the knowledge of finding a vet that could stretch the field with good effectiveness. 

Regardless, I'm still very excited for Ruggs future. We have seen what he's capable of. I just hope we take advantage of his entire skill set a little more often. I didn't watch him and college and think that guy is only capable of catching deep bombs. I thought he had some TY Hilton to his game in terms of being a pretty dang good route runner with great hands on top of his burner speed. 

• Like 3

On 11/17/2020 at 1:13 PM, Mr Raider said:

Agreed. 

Ruggs did the majority of his damage when I was watching cut ups of his time at Alabama before the draft off of slants, drags, screens, etc. He did have some deep shots, but he was deadly off of shorter slants and such if he makes one guy miss a lot of times he outruns the entire defense. 

I hope we start to see some of that. Don't get me wrong, I love the deep ball too. But Ruggs was taken too high and IMO has the ability to be more than just a one trick pony, deep threat only type WR. I still believe in him. And as long as the offense is producing like it is, there isn't a ton to complain about. Especially without being able to see the All 22 tape to see just how much of a difference his speed is making in terms of how defenses play us. 

I kind of feel like Aghalor is playing the role we wanted Ruggs to hit the ground running and do from day one. And as awesome as it is that we found someone productive for super cheap that can come in and produce (NA was a high draft pick himself), it's unfortunate to this point that we passed over Lamb who I think would be a great fit alongside Waller, Jacobs, Aghlor, etc. A reliable, sure handed WR that gets open consistently and doesn't drop many passes. But obviously we couldn't draft with the knowledge of finding a vet that could stretch the field with good effectiveness. 

Regardless, I'm still very excited for Ruggs future. We have seen what he's capable of. I just hope we take advantage of his entire skill set a little more often. I didn't watch him and college and think that guy is only capable of catching deep bombs. I thought he had some TY Hilton to his game in terms of being a pretty dang good route runner with great hands on top of his burner speed. 

For how we're targeting Ruggs, Jeudy would have been a better choice.

Actually Ruggs reminds me of a more linear (less shifty) Odell Beckham with more speed. He needs the ball in space and on slants.

• 2 weeks later...

Over the past two weeks feels like the Raiders have gone away from their bread and butter. Have became a real pass heavy offense. There are times where that is okay, but we have to remember where our bread and butter is and that is with Jacobs and the running game. Which helps Carr and the passing game. Got 5 games left and would like to see a commitment to running the ball and getting Ruggs more involved 

5 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

Over the past two weeks feels like the Raiders have gone away from their bread and butter. Have became a real pass heavy offense. There are times where that is okay, but we have to remember where our bread and butter is and that is with Jacobs and the running game. Which helps Carr and the passing game. Got 5 games left and would like to see a commitment to running the ball and getting Ruggs more involved 

Absolutely. I was shouting at the TV yesterday at some of the playcalling.

Another related thing - I swear when we have a 4th & short, we either run it or throw deep. I don’t mind a short pass in those situations, but why are you chucking a low percentage pass down the sideline at 4th & 2? It’s infuriating.

9 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Absolutely. I was shouting at the TV yesterday at some of the playcalling.

Another related thing - I swear when we have a 4th & short, we either run it or throw deep. I don’t mind a short pass in those situations, but why are you chucking a low percentage pass down the sideline at 4th & 2? It’s infuriating.

Deep pass or toss play, almost every time.