Week 10 - Rams vs Seahawks

RamRod

36 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

If you put it like that then I can agree. It’s not that simple though. Yes Rams don’t have Gurley BUT aren’t they a top 10 rushing offense? Yes. Do they have young explosive backs that if they are fed can go off? Yes. It’s time to stop thinking about Gurley. Rams no longer have him but their running is still productive. No team has yet to stop the Rams running this season when McVay decided to run. Henderson, Akers, and Brown have all been effective mixed of course with jet sweeps. If McVay can commit to the run Sunday 25-30 times minimum think the Rams will once again be effective. 

Yeah of course, the Rams have an awesome running game right now, but you have to consider who you're facing. Seattle has the worst pass defense in the league (they're ranked 32nd).  Seattle just got Jamal Adams back from injury and added Carlos Dunlap.  There's also Reed, Wagner, and Wright.  I'm not saying Seattle is a great rush defense, but I'd love to see a team come in a run the ball 30 times and pass for much less.

I get the whole "eat up the clock and dominate time of possession and that keeps Wilson off the field" thinking. But Seattle's pass defense is so bad that I feel like you're giving them a huge break by running the ball 30 times in a game.

13 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yeah of course, the Rams have an awesome running game right now, but you have to consider who you're facing. Seattle has the worst pass defense in the league (they're ranked 32nd).  Seattle just got Jamal Adams back from injury and added Carlos Dunlap.  There's also Reed, Wagner, and Wright.  I'm not saying Seattle is a great rush defense, but I'd love to see a team come in a run the ball 30 times and pass for much less.

I get the whole "eat up the clock and dominate time of possession and that keeps Wilson off the field" thinking. But Seattle's pass defense is so bad that I feel like you're giving them a huge break by running the ball 30 times in a game.

I see what you mean. Yeah with McVay though I’d be shocked if he came out and pass 40+ times especially coming off a game where he passed 61 times. If the Rams offense have the ball a good amount I can see close to 50/50 but not slinging it all over the place. Trust me McVay had to sit and stew for 2 weeks on throwing 61 times and not even attempting to run much even though it was working against the Dolphins. McVay is going come out running. Had the Rams not had that game against the Dolphins where he threw 61 times I would definitely see him throwing it a lot but McVay at this point 3 and a half seasons with the Rams he is developing a trend. He will have a game where he abandons the run then say it was his fault for putting the offense in bad spots. He comes back the next game and make it an emphasis to run the ball. Again I see what you are saying and maybe I’m wrong and the Rams all through it all over the place to attack the Seahawks pass defense. I just feel I’m starting to get a grip on McVay approach. 

1 hour ago, showtime said:

You do consider the opponents your facing and try to exploit their weakness, true, but you can’t do that at the expense of what you do best. The Rams run the ball first then throw. The Bills were considered one of, if not the best run defenses in football at the time we faced them, and Henderson had one of his best games. 

Running first makes things easier for everyone, the offensive line, the QB, the WRs, TEs, etc...McVays scheme depends on it....one of the major reasons why we lost the SB because we couldn’t run like we were meant to....

1 hour ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

You do consider the opponents your facing and try to exploit their weakness, true, but you can’t do that at the expense of what you do best. The Rams run the ball first then throw. The Bills were considered one of, if not the best run defenses in football at the time we faced them, and Henderson had one of his best games. 

Running first makes things easier for everyone, the offensive line, the QB, the WRs, TEs, etc...McVays scheme depends on it....one of the major reasons why we lost the SB because we couldn’t run like we were meant to....

McVay has Carroll's number. He'll have something cooked up. 

33 minutes ago, LeotheLion said:

It's 2-1. With 1 of those wins being the 2018 Detroit game where we came out flat. And last year had the disaster Pittsburgh showing. 

Ah must of gotten a bad tweet. Thank you for correcting. Def remember last years Pitt game now that you mention it. 

12 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

I remember the last time we went with that gunslinger mentality, we got smashed by a depleted Niners defense that was suppose to be  vulnerable against the pass. Running is this teams best friend...the Hawks secondary won’t be able stop us through the ground or air if we run FIRST.

Im not saying dont run the ball, but everything that the Hawks defense has shown is that their secondary cant hold teams in check. 

I know we have high rushing totals when we win, but thats because we are salting the game away with it. Which we could still do here. And per usual, I can pick my stats to make my argument too; SEA has given up less than 100y rushing per game, while over 360y passing per. They are holding teams under 4 yards per attempt rushing, but allowing over 8 yards per attempt passing. 

We are a complete offense when clicking, not just a running team or just a passing team. So then you have to look at the strengths/weakness of our opponents. And while the Hawks DL doesnt scare you, their LB corps are still darn good and know how to limit the damage there. While their secondary is a mess, and even with Adams back (who is great when healthy) still looks a bit off, and is just fighting through that injury.

Which is why I said use the RBs, TEs and Kupp as extensions of the running game, little flairs out into the flat, swing passes, screens, just to get them away from those LBs as they get the ball, making the secondary have to make plays, as well as going over the top to keep the Corners honest. And if we do that for the first 3 drives, it will force those LBs and Adams to spread out, have to cover the TEs and give help on Woods over the middle, which is what opens up that Rushing game for the second half of the game. Hopefully setting up lanes where our Backs arent even touched till 5+ yards down field, instead of being met at the LOS and fighting for some positive yardage

The only way you really limit the Russ factor is if you can jump out to that early, multi-score lead. Then you run the clock while continuing to score, and dont let him have the chance to work his magic in the 4th Quarter

10 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

The Bills were considered one of, if not the best run defenses in football at the time we faced them, and Henderson had one of his best games. 

But just because something was thought to be true at the time, doesnt mean it is true.

They were living off the previous years reputation, and they only played the Jets and the Dolphins who were still trying to run Jordan Howard. Its pretty obvious now that they are an average run defense or worse, giving up 125y per game and over 4.5y per rush attempt.

10 hours ago, NYRamsFan88 said:

Thats not necessarily true. His offense is based on the ability to run the ball, not doing it first. We have shown that we are a rushing threat, teams already respect that, especially when weve thrown stinkers out there in the pass game this year, they are prone to key on the Run from kickoff. Play action can work from the first snap of the game, especially at this point in the season, when we already have established our running game. You just cant run 10 straight play actions without actually handing it off a few times in there

McVay is one of the best game script guys out there, its why we so often over the past few years look so good on the first drive. And now coming off a bye, after a poor showing last game, against a team we know so well, who has such a glaring flaw..... thats why I keep harping on those first 3 drives, I would be he has a script of the first 25 plays that he believes can get us 3 scores.

14 hours ago, showtime said:

Pretty much this.  Everyone that is saying to run the ball... I'm just laughing.  Seattle has by far the worst pass defense in the entire league.  Adams has missed like four games and he just came back last week.  Shaquill Griffin, by far the Seahawks best CB, has been out the past two weeks and may not play vs the Rams.

Yes, please... run the ball. A lot.

Yeah, I'm not sure that people grasp that this Seattle pass-defense is historically bad.  Like, on-pace to be a league historical-worst by something like a 2000-yard margin bad.

• Like 4

Lol

Historically bad pass defense but don’t pass the ball Rams? Sometimes I wonder if people pay attention, I mean Scam Newton threw for 400 yards on Seattle! Yes we will run the ball but passing has a much better shot to expose their defense, if you look at how Seattle has played. 

I have yet to be this nervous for a game this year lol Im excited to have some key guys back and see how the defense stacks up against Russ. I know Jalen doesn't play that role where he shadows guys all game but im curious when we play receivers like Julio, Dhop, Adams , etc.. if he will. Also curious if DK is at the point where he deserves that attention. He's having a GREAT year and I admit I was one of the people that didn't think he'd do well. Though I think it was partly because he went to Seattle and I more so hoped he wouldn't lol 

Its also a great week to have Robinson and sure up that run D. Im not sure if Carson is back this week but they have good depth there at running back. 

6 hours ago, The LBC said:

Yeah, I'm not sure that people grasp that this Seattle pass-defense is historically bad.  Like, on-pace to be a league historical-worst by something like a 2000-yard margin bad.

Yeah, it really is. It's horrendous.  You almost have to pass on Seattle's defense or you're letting them get off so easy by running the football. Also, it's not like the Rams pass offense sucks. Goff with all those weapons.... man it's going to be tough.