End the madness (Thanksgiving)

N4L

2 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

I guess having someone create a thread every November about how the NFL should change up the teams on Thanksgiving can be listed just behind death and taxes as the surest things in life.

9 minutes ago, N4L said:

This is exactly why the madness needs to end 

I've got dibs on making the thread next year.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, iknowcool said:

The thing is, the quality of teams playing on Thanksgiving doesn’t matter to damn near any fan. People watch football on Thanksgiving because it’s tradition.

At the end of the day the NFL doesn’t care if Cowboys or Lions do well because people are gonna watch anyway

This is the unfortunate reality, and one that @Shanedorf pointed out a few pages back.

The NFL wants to save the juicy matchups for other primetime slots or they are network protected games 

As a hardcore football fan I freaking hate it. Thanksgiving should be a day where they grow the sport, but instead they know they will make money either way so they give us sheit games 

Hence the reason we need to end the madness of "they will watch it anyways" and give us not Detroit or dallas at 9:30am/12:30pm and 1:30pm/4:30pm on a Thursday (PST/est). 

Having a 1pm ET must see game is tough for the family time. You are getting settled in with in-laws and then it’s Rogers vs Stafford in their primes duking it out? That’s what we had a few years back. I can’t do 8 hours of football unless I am locking myself in the basement. This Detroit game is meaningless aside from whose getting fired at the end of the year, but Cowboys Skins with Alex Smith back in contention is must watch. You got to have at least one throw away game otherwise you will have the nagging in-law that could care less about football. The prime time game is pointless as well. It’s best to have West Coast games regularly scheduled in that slot because east coast viewers will be passed out by then. Ravens Steelers should have been showcased on a SNF or late afternoon. You might as well play that game next Tuesday to stand out although Ravens Cowboys is scheduled for next week. Schedule makers be like, “One day of rest, baby!”

11 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

This has to be the worst slate of thanksgiving games ever, especially with Steelers-Ravens game postponement? 

I can’t be the only one who isn’t gonna watch a single second of these games.

Just like the Saturday games they should have flexed Thanksgiving games and announced it about 3 weeks. 

I understand in a non covid year, flexing Sunday to Thursday is out of the question, but with no fans this year, it would have been easy

• Like 1

6 hours ago, N4L said:

Thanksgiving should be a day where they grow the sport, but instead they know they will make money either way so they give us sheit games 

In theory it makes sense to try to grow the sport on a marquee viewing day like Thanksgiving.  The reality is that casual viewers who find themselves watching the NFL on days like Thanksgiving (or even the SB) don't care one way or the other about the quality of the teams or the games. It's the event that matters, not the participants.

On Thanksgiving day, football goes on the television.  It's as simple as that  My wife and mother in-law both accept this truth with no resistance.  On this one day of the year, they almost WANT me to sit down, relax, and watch football.  It's kind of weird actually.  Between the two of them, there is less than zero interest in the NFL.  They just want me to stay out of their way in the kitchen.

Weekly fans of the NFL care about the games, but the NFL already has those viewers in their pocket. There is no need to cater to those weekly fans, and they are the only ones who care at all about who's playing on Thanksgiving.

The only way I can imagine DET or DAL losing their Thanksgiving day slot would be if they say they no longer want the slot (doubtful) or they became embroiled in some kind of ongoing public controversy that made advertisers apply pressure to pull them off the Thanksgiving day schedule.  Anyone have incriminating photos of Jerruh or the Ford family?

Edited by Mazrimiv

previous AFC champ vs their most intriguing matchup

previous NFC champ vs their most intriguing matchup

Chiefs/Ravens and 49ers/Seahawks as 2/3 of the games this year would be way better than the current slate (although I'll admit the Ravens/Steelers was a good attempt)

If we absolutely MUST coddle the boomers who are too fragile to lose their "traditions", then make them share/rotate the 3rd game

3 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Why didn't the NFL brains flex the time slots to 4:30pm and 8:20pm to get more nationwide coverage ?

Because as I grow older, the more I realize the vast majority of 'people in charge' have no idea what they are doing.

Most of them got there because they are extremely good at delegating.

I see there was no delegating going on here

Edited by AkronsWitness

31 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Because as I grow older, the more I realize the vast majority of 'people in charge' have no idea what they are doing.

Most of them got there because they are extremely good at delegating.

I see there was no delegating going on here

Lol I felt that. The more jobs I've had it's apparent middle management just executed the "look at me" approach and sucked up the boss the most but has absolutely no idea how to manage an entire operation or the consequences of anything.

Then again I can't be bothered to show up on time to these soul crushing jobs anyways, I know I'm not management material so IDGAF just here for the ride