Worst Franchise of All Time?

SpanosPayYourRent

It's hard to say the Cardinals for me.  I know their history isn't stellar, but they've been a pretty decent team over the past decade.  They've made it to the Superbowl once and even made a deep playoff run to the NFC Championship game two years ago.  

If you're talking about the least overall success during the longest period of time, the Cardinals have to be at or near the top of the list. If you're talking about which team inspires the most utter hopelessness in the modern era, I'd have to go with the new Cleveland Browns. Two winning seasons and one playoff appearance in 22 years pretty much says it all.

On 10/9/2017 at 5:00 PM, bigbadbuff23835 said:

Oh, no doubt. I can’t fathom that they actually did that though lol

The 4 SB appearances were prior to the FA era, when teams owned their players for life. After FA come into being, the Buffalo owner simply did not have the financial resources to compete.

On 10/13/2017 at 1:37 PM, showtime said:

It's hard to say the Cardinals for me.  I know their history isn't stellar, but they've been a pretty decent team over the past decade.  They've made it to the Superbowl once and even made a deep playoff run to the NFC Championship game two years ago.  

2 playoff runs supersedes the last 30 years?

On 10/9/2017 at 6:11 PM, AkronsWitness said:

Finally, a poll the Browns can win.

Its probably not them though. They were the gold standard for franchises back in the 40s-60s and still very well thought of through the 70s-80s with players like Otto Graham, Jim Brown, Brian Sipe, Lou Groza, Ozzie Newsome, Paul Warfield, Hanford Dixon, Bernie Kosar and Marion Motley on those teams.

They played in 11 straight championship games and won 8 of them during the Otto Graham, Jim Brown and Paul Brown days. Essentially they were the 2000s--Present Patriots dynasty 50 years ago, but more dominant.

I know it has been all down hill since the Ravens stole our team and mojo to go along with it ;), but the Browns as a franchise from 1945-1990 was extremely good as they also made the playoffs 7/10 years in the 80s. I dont think the 1999-2017 horror show should knock their entire franchises existence into the ground.

Good point, it's not like the history is somehow erased when a franchise has a period of struggle. It's easy to forget the 2002 Browns were a playoff team. This subject also depends on the age of the fan. If you or a family member didn't experience part of the success, there's a disconnect. A 22 year old Bills fan missed out on the SB years, it's a different experience.

On 10/9/2017 at 12:04 PM, disaacs said:

Ford is/was a better owner than the Bidwills.  William Clay Ford, while not always the sharpest owner, at least he invested in the Lions...Bill Bidwill sabotaged his franchise on purpose, running it like a cheapskate for years upon years, which essentially forced St. Louis' hand and allowing them to leave. 

Let's stop the revisionist history of acting like it was St. Louis' fault that he moved the franchise to Phoenix.  They were well-supported by the fans there, despite their lack of success and it took a long time even in Phoenix to match the support that they had in St. Louis.  Bill Bidwell is and was one of the worst owners in the history of the NFL...I almost consider him the NFL version of Donald Sterling.        

Thankfully Bill Bidwill is our Owner in Name only at the moment. Once we moved to U of P Stadium he essentially handed off all owner duties to his son Michael Bidwill, who has done an outstanding job taking this inept franchise and making it something of worth.

Again, we are the worst franchise in football. But we also have a chance at correcting that thanks to Michael 

27 minutes ago, LuckyNumber11 said:

Thankfully Bill Bidwill is our Owner in Name only at the moment. Once we moved to U of P Stadium he essentially handed off all owner duties to his son Michael Bidwill, who has done an outstanding job taking this inept franchise and making it something of worth.

Again, we are the worst franchise in football. But we also have a chance at correcting that thanks to Michael 

I agree.  It does seem to run so much better now that it's the younger Bidwill....Bill was absolutely awful.  Probably sooner rather than later, that "mantle" will be replaced with the Browns, who have taken incompetent ownership/management to a whole new level.  

On 10/13/2017 at 1:37 PM, showtime said:

We're talking all-time though, not the last decade.

The only team you could argue is worse is the Browns and ONLY if you're talking only about the "expansion" Haslam Browns (giving credit to the Browns of old to the current Ravens).

I think the numbers make the case for the Lions pretty easily.

They have never been to the Superbowl
They have only made it to one NFC championship
That was in 1991. The last time they won a playoff game

Since 1957 (that's 60 years for those counting) they have:
Had 19 winning seasons 
Made it to the postseason 12 times 
Won exactly ONE playoff game in those 12 tries 

You think about that. There are Lions fans out there that were born in Detroit in 1958, grew up, went to school, got married, raised kids, saw them graduate, had grandkids and are two years from retiring and in their whole lifetime they have seen their team win a playoff game one time. Once. And they might die before they see another one. 

Which is why, conversely, I consider Lions fans the best fans in the NFL. It takes a real fan to stomach a lifetime of heartbreak and keep on cheering. 

Archived