2021 NFL Head Coaching Candidates

tannenballs

Wink Martindale would be a great head coach for someone who needs a culture change or has no locker room culture at all. He won’t singlehandedly build you a super bowl team but he will help you build a good tight-knit group of guys and calls a high-IQ defence. Total players coach but still old school and hard nosed but respected by and respectful with players in a way guys like Matt Patricia weren’t. 

DCs are a hard sell for head coach but Harbaugh was a specials guy so maybe Wink has learned a thing or two about team and game management as well as playcalling in a way some guys don’t experience

Edited by ThatJaxxenGuy

Just now, Texansfan713 said:

Mullen overrated so it makes sense the Jets would hire him.

I rank the NFL HC job openings

1.  Jags

2. Texans

3. Jets

4. Lions

5. Falcons

If Chargers available then they are 2.

I'd put Atlanta higher. They have a top 4 pick, legit QB in house, and an owner that will give you anything and everything you need.

Prob close with NYJ for me, maybe higher.

Just now, SalvadorsDeli said:

The Jags messaging that they wanted someone with HC experience seems like an indication they already know who their guy is - a lot of the speculation on that is focused on Urban Meyer but I could see that being the Dan Mullen fit as well. 

Sounds like that may be overblown. Urban is probably near the top but Daboll appears to be high on our list atm as well.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, SalvadorsDeli said:

The Jags messaging that they wanted someone with HC experience seems like an indication they already know who their guy is - a lot of the speculation on that is focused on Urban Meyer but I could see that being the Dan Mullen fit as well. 

Jim Caldwell coming in as a transition coach for a few years would be a good get IMO, but I don’t know if they will be that patient in their approach.

1 minute ago, .Buzz said:

Based on what I've heard read from people around JAX there's serious issues/a rift between Mullen and the elites at Florida. Sounds like he's trying to move on.

I have no idea. But I know the fans are fed up for the reasons I noted below.

1 minute ago, tannenballs said:

Think admin is that pissed? Mullen seems like a guy that could be a PITA to deal with too..

A good chunk of the fanbase is furious. I don't know about the admin. Mullen is a brilliant offensive mind and a great QB developer, but he doesn't hold his assistants accountable. He refuses to fire the garbage DC who cost us a chance to play for a NC this year, and many of the fans are absolutely irate over it. (I would bet the boosters are too.) Instead, he scapegoated one of the best assistant coaches on the team (Torrian Gray) to save Grantham's worthless butt. And that's the tip of the iceberg (fans are also fed up with the OL Coach Hevesy).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Texansfan713 said:

Mullen overrated so it makes sense the Jets would hire him.

I rank the NFL HC job openings

1.  Jags

2. Texans

3. Jets

4. Lions

5. Falcons

If Chargers available then they are 2.

JAgs - Shad Khan having player personnel control is a big no no for me. 

Texans - Easterby is a horrible influence there

Jets - Just a cluster, but could be better. Solid GM to work with and owners are willing to put the money into the product

Lions - Solid overall situation

Falcons - Owner cares and will give you everything you need to succeed. Has future HOF QB and WR, solid overall roster of guys and is less pieces away than the other spots outside of Houston. 

IF I was to rank them:

1) NY Jets

2) Falcons

3) Lions

4) Jags

5) Texans

The Shad Khan wanting player personnel control would be a huge turn off for me.

2 minutes ago, scar988 said:

JAgs - Shad Khan having player personnel control is a big no no for me. 

Texans - Easterby is a horrible influence there

Jets - Just a cluster, but could be better. Solid GM to work with and owners are willing to put the money into the product

Lions - Solid overall situation

Falcons - Owner cares and will give you everything you need to succeed. Has future HOF QB and WR, solid overall roster of guys and is less pieces away than the other spots outside of Houston. 

IF I was to rank them:

1) NY Jets

2) Falcons

3) Lions

4) Jags

5) Texans

The Shad Khan wanting player personnel control would be a huge turn off for me.

Please read transcripts man...

Wanting to be in the fold when a contract is given out and up to date with moves is what most owners do.

3 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Please read transcripts man...

Wanting to be in the fold when a contract is given out and up to date with moves is what most owners do.

If that's the case, then I probably overreacted to what he said. I'd rank the jobs like this:

1) Jags - best draft capital, best overall set of assets to work with

2) NY Jets - owners will dump money in

3) Falcons - see Jets, but with a tough cap situation, but closer than most to playoff contention. 2-9 in 1 score games this year due to coaching more than anything else.

4) Lions 

5) Chargers

6) Texans

• Like 1