2021 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

Is it time that we have a discussion about Cade Cunningham as a prospect? He has been labeled as the sure fire #1 prospect/#1 pick in the draft but I'm starting to have some concerns. Obviously there are a lot of things to like about him, he's 6'8", very skilled creating off the bounce, flashes as a playmaker, and has shot the ball a lot better from deep than I expected he would. 

But on the other side, he's currently averaging 3.7 APG (4.0 TOPG) when he's touted as a PG, he's only shooting 54% at the rim, and he's only shooting 28% on 2 point shots outside of the paint. 

I think he'll be a very good NBA player because of his size, feel for the game, and potential as a playmaker. But I'm just not sure he's a franchise changing talent like he has been hyped up to be after getting to watch him play more. 

10 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

this doesnt concern me all that much. A lot of guys have to refine their mid range after coming to the NBA

My concern is that he lacks a degree of explosiveness to consistently beat guys off the bounce and finish around the rim. 

4 hours ago, NYRaider said:

Is it time that we have a discussion about Cade Cunningham as a prospect? He has been labeled as the sure fire #1 prospect/#1 pick in the draft but I'm starting to have some concerns. Obviously there are a lot of things to like about him, he's 6'8", very skilled creating off the bounce, flashes as a playmaker, and has shot the ball a lot better from deep than I expected he would. 

But on the other side, he's currently averaging 3.7 APG (4.0 TOPG) when he's touted as a PG, he's only shooting 54% at the rim, and he's only shooting 28% on 2 point shots outside of the paint. 

I think he'll be a very good NBA player because of his size, feel for the game, and potential as a playmaker. But I'm just not sure he's a franchise changing talent like he has been hyped up to be after getting to watch him play more. 

Evan Mobley is the best player in this class. My early top 5 (and it's a clear cut top 5 btw) would probably look like...

1. Evan Mobley | C | USC
2. Cade Cunningham | G | Oklahoma State
3. Jonathan Kuminga | GF | G League Ignite
4. Jalen Suggs | PG | Gonzaga
5. Jalen Green | SG | G League Ignite

Reason why I'm not bumping Cunningham for Kuminga is because Kuminga has shooting issues himself. Cunningham's also hitting a high percentage from 3 so that's more important than his mid-range shooting. TBH Mobley and Suggs have been the most impressive of the 5 prospects for me. I just can't put Suggs ahead of Kuminga because of JK's potential. 

Edited by beekay414

On 2/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, beekay414 said:

Evan Mobley is the best player in this class. My early top 5 (and it's a clear cut top 5 btw) would probably look like...

I just can't put Suggs ahead of Kuminga because of JK's potential. 

Yeah, Mobley definitely has everything you look for in a modern big. 

I still like Kuminga as the #1 player in the class though. He definitely needs to improve as a shooter but when I've seen him play his jumper doesn't look broken and I think he'll eventually develop into at least an average 3 point shooter. Another thing that gives me hope is seeing guys like Kawhi Leonard (41 3PM at a 25% clip in 70 games at SDSU) and Pascal Siakam (3 3PM at a 17% clip in 68 games at NMSU) develop as shooters in the league. 

At 6'8" 220 with his 7'2" wingspan and elite athleticism I think he has a chance to develop into one of the premier players in the league. He has flashed as a playmaker so far in the G-League and also has the tools to be a plus defender that can switch 1-4. The only question mark, as you said, is his 3 point shooting. But I think his upside is high enough to take a chance that he'll improve after we've seen guys like Kawhi, Siakam, and Jaylen Brown do the same. 

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just an observation, but who holds people accountable on that team?

Typically Duke has had an upperclassman guy or two in their rotation on teams that have won. This year we have a pretty young team and the ball moved much better when Johnson wasn't on the court. We're 5-8 in the 13 games Johnson played in and 4-0 in games without him. 

11 minutes ago, DirtyDez said:

This seems like the type of draft where there’s 3-4 guys that would be great #2 picks.  

I think Mobley, Kuminga, Cunningham, Suggs, and Green all would've easily been the best prospect in last years class. 

Very early but if I had to rank the top 10 prospects in the class. 

1. Jonathan Kuminga | F | G-League Ignite

2. Evan Mobley | C | USC

3. Cade Cunningham | CG | Oklahoma State

4. Jalen Suggs | PG | Gonzaga

5. Jalen Green | CG | G-League Ignite

6. Scottie Barnes | F | Florida State

7. Keon Johnson | SG | Tennessee

8. Moses Moody | SG | Arkansas

9. Ziaire Williams | F | Stanford

10. Jaden Springer | SG | Tennessee