2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

31 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, but it's tricky. I mean, Brown will need a new contract which would hamstring KC even more. And then what if the compensation is way up there? What if KC offered 31 this year + next years first? Wouldn't be that unusual. Tunsil wasn't an all star when he go moved to Houston, to be honest, and he got two firsts. Could be a situation where at some point the compensation is too great to turn down, or Baltimore thinks that the Chiefs giving up whatever compensation they do hurts them more than Brown coming in on a new deal helps them. 

If it was 2 firsts, yeah I'd strongly consider that. If it was 2 firsts from anyone else, I'd probably go that direction.

4 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's fine, but you better use that money you are saving by going after Linsley or a top edge rusher. 

Personally? Our OL is so bad at pass protection, I'm re-signing Trent period. Even if we end up going with a rookie QB this year or next year or somehow trade for Watson, I want Trent back there protecting them. If it is Jimmy, then we need Trent there trying to keep him clean. 

Oh I get it. But I'm thinking that having the opportunity to get a young LT on a rookie deal for the next 4 years may be too good to pass up. Trent is certainly worth his price tag. But I'm also looking at his age and would I'd rather pay him 20 million a year, or pay Mack like 8, draft Slater/Darrishaw and take the leftover money and allocated it elsewhere.

Edited by 757-NINER

13 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Oh I get it. But I'm thinking that having the opportunity to get a young LT on a rookie deal for the next 4 years may be too good to pass up. Trent is certainly worth his price tag. But I'm also looking at his age and would I'd rather pay him 20 million a year, or pay Mack like 8, draft Slater/Darrishaw and take the leftover money and allocated it elsewhere.

Are you willing to bet a playoff run in 2021 on a rookie LT?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

Can't see any rational reason for someone to sign with the texans this off season why i am thinking anyone who does needs a cte test 

anyone who does is going there for money or a chance to play

there are only 32 teams. on those teams there are only 53 roster spots

2 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

Are you willing to bet a playoff run in 2021 on a rookie LT?

You're thinking just about 2021. I'm thinking long-term with the cap and the ramfications of paying Williams QB money. Slater, Tomlinson, an upgrade@C, Brunskill and McG should be fine. Slater won't be nearly as good as Trent as a rookie but I believe he's enough of a talent that he should hit the ground running and be a solid starter from jump. And a majority of our O-Line woes are interior-related anyways. In a perfect world, I'd take the savings from moving on from Trent and pay a guy like Mack or Linsley & sign a decent OG but I know better to think Shanny would shell out any real money to upgrade RG. 

21 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

You're thinking just about 2021. I'm thinking long-term with the cap and the ramfications of paying Williams QB money. Slater, Tomlinson, an upgrade@C, Brunskill and McG should be fine. Slater won't be nearly as good as Trent as a rookie but I believe he's enough of a talent that he should hit the ground running and be a solid starter from jump. And a majority of our O-Line woes are interior-related anyways. In a perfect world, I'd take the savings from moving on from Trent and pay a guy like Mack or Linsley & sign a decent OG but I know better to think Shanny would shell out any real money to upgrade RG. 

I would rather draft a T, have him play RG for a year, not pick up McG's option and then move the rookie to RT in year 2. Maybe by that time colton mcivitz will be ready, or someone we can draft in the later rounds this year will be ready for that RG spot. 

I am of the mind that we need to replace McGlinchy. He is a terrible pass blocker and I am not going to hold my breath for him to get better at it. Hes had plenty of time and has never shown the required skills for it. My nickname for him is McStinky. He pass blocks like dogsh!t lol so getting rid of trent means we need to replace 4/5 starters on the OL in my eyes. 

If we get a RG worth a damn, sign trent, AND draft a T, then keep McStinky as our swing tackle/3rd blocking TE. That way we depth for when Trent inevitably misses games (when is the last time he played 16?) 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, N4L said:

I would rather draft a T, have him play RG for a year, not pick up McG's option and then move the rookie to RT in year 2. Maybe by that time colton mcivitz will be ready, or someone we can draft in the later rounds this year will be ready for that RG spot. 

I am of the mind that we need to replace McGlinchy. He is a terrible pass blocker and I am not going to hold my breath for him to get better at it. Hes had plenty of time and has never shown the required skills for it. My nickname for him is McStinky. He pass blocks like dogsh!t lol so getting rid of trent means we need to replace 4/5 starters on the OL in my eyes. 

If we get a RG worth a damn, sign trent, AND draft a T, then keep McStinky as our swing tackle/3rd blocking TE. That way we depth for when Trent inevitably misses games (when is the last time he played 16?) 

I'd have no problem moving from McG but I just believe Shanny likes him too much as a run blocker. Hell, I said after 2019 that they should let Brunskill have a legitimate shot to compete@RT if McG couldn't improve as a pass-protector. 

If it were up to me I'd trade McG and plug Brunskill in@RT. Let McKivitz and some reasonable priced free agent OG duke it out@RG, sign Mack and draft Slater. Re-sign Shon Coleman as the swing tackle. Then take the money saved from not resigning Trent and go get a 3rd down edge rusher and shore up the DBs.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Forge said:

I legitimately don't understand the juice thing at all. 

I get that he's an absolute Swiss army knife, and can so many things traditional fullbacks can't. Deep wheel route!!! It seems that his blocking has tapered off, and maybe it's because Kittle wasn't around, but can't we scout and find our own Juice to craft into exactly what he is best at? Doesn't seem like the rest of the league is in the market for that.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Then take the money saved from not resigning Trent and go get a 3rd down edge rusher and shore up the DBs.

I understand this thought process, but personally I would rather pay trent than pay jimmy. 

We have the coach to get production out of a cheaper QB. If we keep Trent, we can do whatever we want at 12. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, N4L said:

I understand this thought process, but personally I would rather pay trent than pay jimmy. 

We have the coach to get production out of a cheaper QB. If we keep Trent, we can do whatever we want at 12. 

Oh, I agree with that too. I made the point many moons ago that until you find a true franchise guy, I'd try to build up the rest of the roster and get by on marginally good QBs like Jimmy for a fraction of the cost. Guys like Fitz and Minshew could get you by until you find a legit talent@the position. Like really, how much better is Jimmy over Fitz??

I mean, if we're going that route, I'd really throw a wrench in it and let Trent hit the market, trade Jimmy & McG and go get a guy like Fitz and continue with those same moves along the O-Line I mentioned in the previous post. That gives you all the cap space needed to retool the defensive secondary, edge and the O-Line and still have money to be buyers in free agency in 2022 when hopefully the cap goes back up. Not to mention we gain some draft capital in the process to maybe go hard after Watson.

Edited by 757-NINER