2021 Off-season FO / Coaching / Saleh to the Jets - Page 9

N4L

31 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

By the way, even with Hyder off the market, there's still a lot of edge players to be had. Houston is the guy I want the most but I think he probably returns to Indy.

Houston would be fun. He's definitely on my radar. These are the guys I'm most focused on right now:

Yearly average over the past 3 seasons:

• Justin Houston: 27 pressures / 9 sacks / 10 TFL
  • Everson Griffen: 26 pressures / 6.5 sacks / 8 TFL
  • Ryan Kerrigan: 23 pressures / 8 sacks / 7 TFL
  • Olivier Vernon: 25 pressures / 6.5 sacks / 7 TFL
  • Kyler Fackrell: 15 pressures / 5 sacks / 7 TFL
  • Alex Okafor: 16 pressures / 4 sacks / 4 TFL
  • Trent Murphy: 14 pressures / 4 sacks / 6 TFL

For reference, here are our pass rushing leaders from the EDGE spot each year for the past 3 years:

• 2018: Cassius Marsh - 31 pressures / 5.5 sacks / 7 TFL
  • 2019: Nick Bosa - 45 pressures / 9.5 sacks / 16 TFL
  • 2020: Kerry Hyder - 32 pressures / 8.5 sacks / 10 TFL

I don't know how any of these guys fit into our pass rushing scheme, but they all have the ability to take our pass rush to the next level. We have the money and the roster space to take a swing for the fences here. I really hope we pull the trigger.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I am a bit surprised we haven't dipped our toes in the WR FA pool? 

Not worth it for us to pay big bucks for a WR and we have a ton already on the roster. Believe as it stands we have 13 guys already signed(sure a lot of depth that may never see the field). Also paying WR's isn't really all that smart in terms of roster building. While its nice to have good ones you generally are better off with a bunch of different skillsets over a do it all guy in terms of succes.

The one i am actually most suprised with is how we haven't done anything at TE. George is great but he has never played all games in a season and gets dinged up often because of the way he plays. Behind him we really don't have much is anything that gives any confidence they can handle either the receiving part or the blocking when he goes down.

21 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I am a bit surprised we haven't dipped our toes in the WR FA pool? 

I'm curious to see if we end up going the trade route in that regard. New England just signed everyone under the sun...can't imagine that Harry is long for that roster, and I think that makes a ton of sense if you're getting him for a day three pick given that we were said to have liked him. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Houston would be fun. He's definitely on my radar. These are the guys I'm most focused on right now:

Yearly average over the past 3 seasons:

• Justin Houston: 27 pressures / 9 sacks / 10 TFL
  • Everson Griffen: 26 pressures / 6.5 sacks / 8 TFL
  • Ryan Kerrigan: 23 pressures / 8 sacks / 7 TFL
  • Olivier Vernon: 25 pressures / 6.5 sacks / 7 TFL
  • Kyler Fackrell: 15 pressures / 5 sacks / 7 TFL
  • Alex Okafor: 16 pressures / 4 sacks / 4 TFL
  • Trent Murphy: 14 pressures / 4 sacks / 6 TFL

For reference, here are our pass rushing leaders from the EDGE spot each year for the past 3 years:

• 2018: Cassius Marsh - 31 pressures / 5.5 sacks / 7 TFL
  • 2019: Nick Bosa - 45 pressures / 9.5 sacks / 16 TFL
  • 2020: Kerry Hyder - 32 pressures / 8.5 sacks / 10 TFL

I don't know how any of these guys fit into our pass rushing scheme, but they all have the ability to take our pass rush to the next level. We have the money and the roster space to take a swing for the fences here. I really hope we pull the trigger.

Oh, I like Houston, Kerrigan, Fackrell and Murphy. Any of those would make me very happy!

I'd be fine with Minshew as a back up. Prefer that over having Flacco.

But it is becoming clear that Jimmy will be the starting QB next season. Watson isn't getting moved any time soon and they may not want to move up in the top 5-6 to get their rookie QB.

If Minshew gets traded, I expect it to happen during the draft.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

But it is becoming clear that Jimmy will be the starting QB next season. Watson isn't getting moved any time soon and they may not want to move up in the top 5-6 to get their rookie QB.

My main problem with the Minshew situation is that i don't understand it from the Jaguars if they trade him for anything that makes me comfortable giving up for a back-up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'd give up max a 4th rounder for Minshew. Preferably lower, but QB's are valuable and i'm sure we'd be bidding against other teams too 

He's certainly the best backup option available via trade or FA. 

100% the same. Maybe the comp pick we got from Saleh but thats the absolute max. I just don't see how from the Jaguars perspective getting that pick is better than having a dirt cheap back-up QB with some experience behind your rookie QB.

21 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Note - Jags just signed CJ 

10 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

I'd give up max a 4th rounder for Minshew. Preferably lower, but QB's are valuable and i'm sure we'd be bidding against other teams too 

He's certainly the best backup option available via trade or FA. 

He's a fringe starting QB, certainly one of the best backup QBs if that's his role, and he's under contract for 2 more years at under 1 million each. That's a ton of value, so I'm with you guys...round 3 / 4 is fine for me. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

100% the same. Maybe the comp pick we got from Saleh but thats the absolute max. I just don't see how from the Jaguars perspective getting that pick is better than having a dirt cheap back-up QB with some experience behind your rookie QB.

It's a weird move, right? Especially when Glennon walked and you sign CJ Beathard? Why not just keep Minshew? Such a weird play. Maybe they are really trying to sign Alex (which would also make a ton of sense)