Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

On 1/23/2021 at 5:50 AM, big_palooka said:

You're asking the wrong crowd. It's hilarious how Carr fans give him major passes for his injuries. However, they pay no respect to Mariota who also had a standout season in 2016 and dealt with injuries for the last few seasons.

I think they win 8-9 games with a healthy Mariota because that is what this teams talent level is.

His ability to run RPO with Jacobs adds an element to the run game. I think he scores more in the red zone. And any INTs he throws would compare to the 8 loss fumbles Carr had when touched in the pocket.

I personally think Mariota would run Grudens offense well. He'd miss some passes Carr might make, but that is offset with his ability to play off schedule which Carr doesn't excel.

I think Mariota is a great reclamation project because of the similarities in dysfunctional situation.

I advocated for putting him in packages, but you know Gruden wouldn't do it. Having someone who can come in with true running potential would be huge for the offense.

Edit: I only think there are a few qb's who can really use their legs as a weapon. Mariota is somewhere in there.

1 hour ago, bucksavage1 said:

LOL sure buddy. Stop trying to deflect what the numbers show. Carr's at the bottom of the league in redzone performance 

He is at the bottom of the league in RZ performance in terms of passing touchdowns.

Can we look at some other numbers, or do they not matter?

Fumbles: worst

PFF Passing grade (this one I really don't care for to be fair): 8th

DYAR: 7th

Passing Yards: 11th

YPA among starters: 8th

Passing TD's: 11th

Interceptions: T-9th lowest

Passer rating: 10th

Completions over 20 yards: 10th

Completions over 40 yards: 4th

These aren't cherry picked. I pulled the majority off the NFL website. Is this blind homerism?

11 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

He is at the bottom of the league in RZ performance in terms of passing touchdowns.

Can we look at some other numbers, or do they not matter?

Fumbles: worst

PFF Passing grade (this one I really don't care for to be fair): 8th

DYAR: 7th

Passing Yards: 11th

YPA among starters: 8th

Passing TD's: 11th

Interceptions: T-9th lowest

Passer rating: 10th

Completions over 20 yards: 10th

Completions over 40 yards: 4th

These aren't cherry picked. I pulled the majority off the NFL website. Is this blind homerism?

Those stats show you Carr is a good player but he isn't good enough and we can get better at the QB position. Why not? Do you want the Raiders to win?

@MrOaktown_56 Week 11-17 he only had a passer rating over 100 once (Miami) and turned the ball over 9 times on 8 TDs. 

The first 10 weeks, he was playing on fire. The final 7 weeks when it mattered, he was average on his best day. 

You can post stats all you want, but there is no argument for his play backsliding in December again as has been consistent with his career now.

3 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

Those stats show you Carr is a good player but he isn't good enough and we can get better at the QB position. Why not? Do you want the Raiders to win?

So now he's a good player. What is good enough? Elite?

I do want the Raiders to win. What kind of weird deflection is that?

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

@MrOaktown_56 Week 11-17 he only had a passer rating over 100 once (Miami) and turned the ball over 9 times on 8 TDs. 

The first 10 weeks, he was playing on fire. The final 7 weeks when it mattered, he was average on his best day. 

You can post stats all you want, but there is no argument for his play backsliding in December again as has been consistent with his career now.

This is a team game. I'm not even a stats guy. He can't carry Gruden's ineptitude in December. If you want to argue that Gruden will never improve so we need an elite QB to shore up his inadequacies, I can understand that argument. But at that point, you're dooming us to perpetual mediocrity, even with Watson and whatever ungodly trade capital we give up to get him.

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Carr might be the best statistically but worst situationally qb