Rich7sena

The Carr Dilemma 2021  

47 members have voted

1. 1. What to do with Carr in 2021

• Option 1: extend Carr
    • Option 2: trade Carr
    • Neither

5 minutes ago, dante9876 said:

I do think it's crazy to think players have the sane intensity for a playoff game vs a regular season game. Has nothing to do with trying or not trying. It just isn't the same level of play. Any player will say the same. Playoff football is different. And yes we have built a team around matching up  well with kc.

Thats true, doesn't matter though if you can't beat who you suppose to. 

I was just getting at the first bolded point. Which I don't think can be discredited by playoffs vs regular season.

Can't disagree with the second bolded point.

17 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

My thoughts on Carr at this point. 

He showed that he deserves one more year. Made improvements in his game. Used his legs more to run it while also doing it to extend plays. Will it ever be to the point where Gruden will want it to be no, but I do think it’s done enough to where it satisfies Gruden. Showed the want to throw it down field. Took his shots down field. Didn’t just check it down as much. 

Went into KC and beat KC. You can say the Chiefs we not motivated or there weren't packed with fans. But that doesn’t take away from that Carr went into KC and dotted that defense up. While hitting them with bombs down field. We can’t sit here and complain how he plays like trash in KC then he plays good in KC and try to Diminish his accomplishments for that game. The second game against KC was 10 times better game from him then the one in KC. I thought we saw peak Carr in that game. From the LOS calls to get them into a better call. The accuracy he showed. 

There is also things he still needs to work on like the drop in play we seen from him in the second half part of the season. Do a better job in getting others involved. Would be the main ones for me. 

Would I trade for Watson yes, but I don’t know if I would trade him for someone like Stafford. I think you give Carr the 2021 season and you go out in FA and buy a defense that can be average or above and you see what he can do. They averaged almost 28 points a game, offense is not far off just a couple tweaks I would make. 

Thank you for this and pointing out the hypocrisy of others.  

I agree with everything you said.  Hopefully, for all of our sakes Carr and the rest of team can knock off the 2nd half slump next year and we can all celebrate with some playoff football.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

He was talking about moving around the pocket

And running when the opportunity presents itself.  All of that is going off script.  Carr is so use to dropping back 3 steps and if his primary WR is covered you check down.  He did better this year with that but he still needs to improve.  Carr is not the quickest mentally so he tends to panic when things breakdown.  Now he got better this year because he started to feel comfortable.  Hopefully it can continue next year but it is a slow process with him.  I think that is another issue posters have with him.  It should not take until year 3 for a veteran QB to feel comfortable in a system.

14 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

And running when the opportunity presents itself.  All of that is going off script.  Carr is so use to dropping back 3 steps and if his primary WR is covered you check down.  He did better this year with that but he still needs to improve.  Carr is not the quickest mentally so he tends to panic when things breakdown.  Now he got better this year because he started to feel comfortable.  Hopefully it can continue next year but it is a slow process with him.  I think that is another issue posters have with him.  It should not take until year 3 for a veteran QB to feel comfortable in a system.

Took him 7 years to learn how to not fumble at the goaline 

Just now, NCOUGHMAN said:

Took him 7 years to learn how to not fumble at the goaline 

He still can do that because of his hand size and/or strength.  He needs to learn that if you are going to reach for the goal line use two hands.  He is not good with ball security.  I do not think anyone can argue that.

1 minute ago, drfrey13 said:

He still can do that because of his hand size and/or strength.  He needs to learn that if you are going to reach for the goal line use two hands.  He is not good with ball security.  I do not think anyone can argue that.

I just like that he’s finally taking deep shots but I’m afraid he’s so hooked on waller no wrs will ever get high target #’s unless we get a true #1 in here.

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I just like that he’s finally taking deep shots but I’m afraid he’s so hooked on waller no wrs will ever get high target #’s unless we get a true #1 in here.

I don't understand this statement if you have a HOF TE you get him the ball KC does it and they're doing just fine.

20 hours ago, oakdb36 said:

Not saying that's not true but how specifically?

I think you got to out score KC. I think to do so you got to build a powerful oline. You have to keep the defense honest with vertical threats. Also put their linebackers in coverage as much as you can. Also don't change your offense when they get up on you. KC defense is used to playing with a lead so they aren't great at stopping the run. I think our offense is built to do all those things. 

Our defense isn't built to stop no one. Just hope for best on that side right now and just try to keep everything in front of you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geezy said:

funny how Brady can throw 3 picks and still win a game, if Carr throws 3 picks the Raiders lose by 3 Tds and this whole forum would blow up

A lot of the criticism is because of the circumstances around the INT.  Tipped balls or giving you WR a chance is not treated the same as when the defense is getting stops and he keeps turning it over or throws one in the end-zone.  Carr has received more criticism for fumbles than his picks.  Even most people who criticize Carr say he has improved just not enough for us to be happy about it.  Also winning in the playoffs makes a big difference.

23 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Interesting that you think the Chiefs would play significantly "harder" than in a regular season game. These are grown men and NFL coaches.  

Are you saying that their players "didn't care". Their coaches "didn't prepare". Mahomes "didn't try"? 

I find this hard to believe. Has nothing to do with whether the Raiders were in the playoffs or not. Actually that's one of the worst ad hominems I've ever heard. You're essentially assuming that none of the posters watch playoff football or know what the implications are. Of course they play hard. Most teams that don't rest their starters play hard even in the regular season.

If you want to argue that KC wasn't ready for us schematically, why did we play them tough in the second game as well? When they had tons of time to adjust COMING OFF A BYE.

Is it hard to admit we match up well with the team that only we have been able to actually beat this season?

If you're gonna question and criticize someone's post, research some real sports knowledge and not strictly your own opinion. 

We're all familiar with the physical part of football but as physical as it is, there is also huge mental side of it which is Sports Psychology.

There's a HUGE difference between Playoff and Regular season games. Every player will say that, there's no argument around that. 

Are you saying that their players "didn't care". Their coaches "didn't prepare". Mahomes "didn't try"? 

Every team tries every game but there are certain games throughout the season in every sport where a team will have more or lesser motivation depending on the schedule. You'll hear phrases like  "team A has this game circled on their schedule".  There's also spots in the schedule called Look ahead games, letdown games, revenge games etc.

Here's an example from our season which we got caught in a "letdown" game

The 2nd matchup vs the Chiefs on Primetime football was the biggest game of the year at that point for us. The team has its best effort and lost the game in heartbreaking fashion 35-31. 

The Following week vs Atlanta was considered a letdown game.  Where as a team, we couldn't get up to play the Falcons like we did vs the KC the week before. Our team came out flat and got destroyed. I bet against us because I knew historically teams in our position don't respond well after rivals games like that.

This is sports psychology 101. This is the same realm as the difference between playoff intensity with all the marbles on the line vs a regular season game against the Falcons

We play KC twice per year, that's it. A rival division games are normally close games. The defense had a great game the 1st time and the offense played great both games.

But if we can't beat the teams throughout the year we are supposed to, we aren't going anywhere. 

If you're gonna pass KC, you not only gotta beat them, you also got win during the season. We aren't good enough to beat the AFC elite teams. Carr doesn't make enough Winning plays throughout the season.

The Raiders need to try a different signal caller route to see if someone else can elevate the team further than what Carr has. If we resign Carr would be the biggest mistake possible we can make