Is this one of Belichick’s best coaching years?

RUGmen

25 minutes ago, PatriotsWin! said:

Damn. Rams just straight up said they ignored our passing game. That hurts to hear but not surprised when we've barely managed 100 yds passing in half our games. Painful watching this passing attack. 

Who said that? (I am asking genuinely, not defensively. Just want to make that clear.)

Edited by jrry32

2 hours ago, The Third Rider said:

I mean, I doesn't take a genius to know the Patriots weren't going to pass. When your #1 WR only has 518 yards in the season, your #1 TE has just 199 yards and just went to IR. Its a sad state of affairs though.

Cam Newton threw an interception tonight trying to complete a pass to an ineligible offensive lineman.  Unless he's seeing ghosts, nobody else was even in the area.

He only has 5 passing touchdowns.  And exactly how many games has he been benched this year?

I think it's obvious why your WR's don't have solid production:  their quarterback cannot throw the football.   His mechanics and accuracy have always been terrible so this comes as no shock.   Being a Saints fan, married to a Panthers fan, I've seen a lot of Cam Newton games.   He's just bad and always has been.   One good season where his running threat allowed play action passes to work, and even that MVP year he couldn't break 60% completion percentage. 

11 hours ago, Saint_James said:

Compared to Cam Newton???  Yeah, I would say so.   The guy went to a Super Bowl last year and they only lost because of utter incompetence by the coaching staff.  "Hey we're up by a huge margin and all we have to do is work the clock in the second half.  Let's come out throwing it non-stop, stopping the clock, and punting back to the Chiefs.  Cool?"

Jimmy G is 28-8 as a starter and he's nothing but a disappointing QB?  I mean the injuries sure, I can see that.  But I don't get how he's not viewed as a legit starting QB with a record like that, an NFC Championship, and a Super Bowl appearance in such a short time.

Just my opinion. 

In the game that sent him to the SB he stayed more than one hour without a pass attempt iirc and his team put up almost 40 points.

Edited by LaFellSBXLIXMVP
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Saint_James said:

Did you watch the game tonight?  Wow yeah, this didn't age well did it?   That Cam Newton, what a bargain!!!!  😂

Have you watched Jimmy G this season?

Answer the question - is Jimmy G six times better than Cam? Yes or no?

49ers win in-spite of Jimmy, even though the w/l without him isn't as good. Which is weird to say, but he is easily replaced with mediocrity, IMO.

49ers have a coach that makes it incredibly frustrating to stop their offense (you kind of have to pick where you're going to resource, and then they attack the other way), and they have (had?) a defense that was able to combine physicality with incredible speed and quick play recognition. Last year they were such a well-rounded team. 

Jimmy left lots of TDs out there. Watch the first Rams game, he threw a pick in endzone with two 9ers in the vicinity, he overthrew a wide open WR in the EZ as well. But they still smashed the rams.

That said, I'd take Jimmy back over Cam in a heart beat.

That said as well....not at that cost!! Gimme a rookie

6 hours ago, Saint_James said:

Did you watch the game tonight?  Wow yeah, this didn't age well did it?   That Cam Newton, what a bargain!!!!  😂

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding in your understanding of this discussion:

Nobody is here trying to say Cam is a good QB. He's what you pay for, he's a $4mm QB in a league where the median QB salary is roughly $18mm. You get what you pay for with Cam - which is inconsistency and downright bad football. Nobody here is saying otherwise.

What we are trying to say is that Jimmy Garropolo is not a good QB. He is paid over the median salary, but is actually performing below that standard. You don't get what you pay for, he's a liability to the 49ers in that sense. 

So, your original statement of how Belicheck should "handle that situation" back in 2017 makes absolutely no sense - and that's what brings us here. How does overpaying Garropolo, going away from an NFL MVP and SB MVP make anything better - for both the past as well as the current iteration of the Patriots?

If you wanted to argue that Belicheck should have kept Jacoby Brissett, I won't argue - he's a little better than Garropolo statistically, at a much more manageable $15mm AAV. There's also very little confusion on whether or not Brissett would get in ahead of Brady - Brady would still be the starter, would still be the MVP in 2017 and SB winner in 2018. 

But... Garropolo? No, there's literally no argument for him.

6 hours ago, Saint_James said:

Cam Newton threw an interception tonight trying to complete a pass to an ineligible offensive lineman.  Unless he's seeing ghosts, nobody else was even in the area.

He only has 5 passing touchdowns.  And exactly how many games has he been benched this year?

I think it's obvious why your WR's don't have solid production:  their quarterback cannot throw the football.   His mechanics and accuracy have always been terrible so this comes as no shock.   Being a Saints fan, married to a Panthers fan, I've seen a lot of Cam Newton games.   He's just bad and always has been.   One good season where his running threat allowed play action passes to work, and even that MVP year he couldn't break 60% completion percentage. 

Cam is definitely damage goods, he makes completing screen passes look difficult. However, the problem is two fold here, even Tom struggled to keep drives alive with this same offense and part of the reason why he left. The fact that Cam can run the ball is really the only reason why he is starting over Stidham. 

Edited by The Third Rider
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I think there's a fundamental misunderstanding in your understanding of this discussion:

Yes well you guys took my posts and twist them beyond the depths of hell, so excuse me...

Nobody is here trying to say Cam is a good QB.

Well it seems you're quite the fan to be honest.  

What we are trying to say is that Jimmy Garropolo is not a good QB.

Yes I get that, you're just wrong.  He's not great, nor is he terrible, but he's good.   And the fact that you tell me you don't "like" that his record as a starter is pretty amazing, tells me you're just flat biased.   How can we NOT introduce wins into the equation?  Pick any stat you want, QBR, TD int ration, yards - whatever - how is he not a "good" quarterback?   Not saying he's Aaron Rodgers, but really, he's not even good?   Come on, that's such a bad take. 

But why should I be surprised, this is the forum that basically made seriously arguments that Russel Wilson is garbage lol.

So, your original statement of how Belicheck should "handle that situation" back in 2017 makes absolutely no sense - and that's what brings us here. How does overpaying Garropolo, going away from an NFL MVP and SB MVP make anything better?

At the risk of being banned, this is just crazy.   Sir, how can you mix in what the Niner's are paying him to make an argument what his cap hit would be on the Patriots?   My entire statement, which is FACT by the way, is that Bellicheck wanted Jimmy G to replace Brady.   You CONSTANTLY interjecting his contract status with the Niner's into this discussion doesn't even make sense.  You're not making sense!  We have no way of knowing what he would be paid on the Patriots, but given how they run things, it certainly would be less. 

But... Garropolo? No, there's literally no argument for him.

Then go tell that to Bill Bellicheck man!  He was REALLY high on Jimmy G and I'm just guessing that he knows better than you about it.

4 hours ago, LaFellSBXLIXMVP said:

In the game that sent him to the SB he stayed more than one hour without a pass attempt iirc and his team put up almost 40 points.

Never said he was a gunslinger.   All the more reason to not, with a huge lead, suddenly start throwing the ball all over the place for no reason.

But gee, if only there was a program in the NFL where a decent/good quarterback could just "do his job" and rely on a strong running game and a good defense to win a ton of games.  If only there was a team who made great second-half adjustments, instead of bad ones.  If only there was a system relying on short efficient passing, dinking and dunking your way down the field.

If only there was such a place, Jimmy G might have really thrived.  Anyone know of such a team???

3 minutes ago, m haynes said:

Just questions

1. How do you judge BB when he had 8 players sit out.

2. Is he coach of the year or a below average GM.

3. How can he be coach of the year with 6 wins.

Patrick Chung donta Hightower and cannon(whose replacement has outplayed him) is the reason they won’t make the playoffs this year?