Is this one of Belichick’s best coaching years?

RUGmen

First off, this is NOT a “Brady vs Bill” thread. I made this to discuss his coaching alone this season. No matter what side of the debate you are on, I think everyone recognizes Bill as one of, if not, the GOAT.

I feel this year may be one of his best HC years ever. 

- 6-6 record with a tough schedule

- Nearly beat defending SB champs with Hoyer at QB 

- Putrid offense all while losing one of the GOAT QBs. Lack of talent on WR.

- Injuries and opts out left and right due to COVID

- The Bills AND the Dolphins both playoff caliber teams. Aside from NYJ, it’s a competitive division for once.

I don’t think it’s his best, but that’s honestly because he has so damn many that are stupidly good. To me, Bill isn’t just the greatest football coach of all time, but I think he’s the best coach in any of the 3 major sports (basketball, football, and baseball) of all time. 

In the offseason when I saw some people talk about the Patriots tanking, I remember thinking, there’s no way Belichick coached team would lose more than 9 games. I think they would have won 10 games had Cam not gotten COVID, and they still may.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 4

19 minutes ago, Awsi Dooger said:

No, it doesn't take much of anything to fiddle in the middle in the NFL, given the talent balance. Throw the adjustments away and look at the wide scope. New England's season win over/under was 9.5. That's how the team was viewed preseason, even with Brady gone

Replace Belichick with Adam Gase before the season started and see how the wins over under is affected.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, y*so*blu said:

Probably. No Brady, no Chung, no Cannon, no Hightower, and now no Edelman. After all that they're still sitting at 6-6, and have beaten teams that will likely finish with winning records (Baltimore, Arizona, Vegas and Miami). That's amazing.

Not to mention had a great shot at beating the Chiefs with Hoyer.  Replace Hoyer with league average QB, they could very well win that game.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RUGmen said:

First off, this is NOT a “Brady vs Bill” thread. I made this to discuss his coaching alone this season. No matter what side of the debate you are on, I think everyone recognizes Bill as one of, if not, the GOAT.

I feel this year may be one of his best HC years ever. 

- 6-6 record with a tough schedule

- Nearly beat defending SB champs with Hoyer at QB 

- Putrid offense all while losing one of the GOAT QBs. Lack of talent on WR.

- Injuries and opts out left and right due to COVID

- The Bills AND the Dolphins both playoff caliber teams. Aside from NYJ, it’s a competitive division for once.

Of course the lack of outstanding talent on offense is directly attributable to Bill Belichick's drafting and Free Agency decisions so I dont think that he should get extra marks, even though the coaching part of his resume is doing really well to coach around the average (at this time) team building part of his resume. 

He is an astounding tactician though first and foremost. 

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

When you consider the difficulty spike that came with the curtailed offseason, the cap situation and the massive talent drain through free agency and Covid opt-outs, then yes, it's impressive as hell that this team is still somehow in the playoff hunt. 

This is also one of the most inexperienced defenses Belichick has ever coached. Outside of the secondary, the only players over 30 who have played significant snaps have been John Simon and Lawrence Guy. The other players getting the most snaps in the defensive front-7 have been Ja'Whaun Bentley (24), Chase Winovich (25), Deatrich Wise (26), Kyle Dugger (24), Byron Cowart (24), Adam Butler (26) and Terez Hall (24). 

And the offense is even younger. With Edelman and Burkhead on the shelf, Cam Newton is the only guy over 30 who's getting significant snaps. The starting RB is 23, the starting WRs are 27 and 23, the starting TE is about to turn 25, and the OLs who have played the most are 25, 28, 28, 27, 23 and 26.

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

Replace Belichick with Adam Gase before the season started and see how the wins over under is affected.

That's going from GOAT coach to replacement level DIII college coach. Come on now. Let's at least be reasonable about this.

10 minutes ago, Starless said:

When you consider the difficulty spike that came with the curtailed offseason, the cap situation and the massive talent drain through free agency and Covid opt-outs, then yes, it's impressive as hell that this team is still somehow in the playoff hunt. 

This is also one of the most inexperienced defenses Belichick has ever coached. Outside of the secondary, the only players over 30 who have played significant snaps have been John Simon and Lawrence Guy. The other players getting the most snaps in the defensive front-7 have been Ja'Whaun Bentley (24), Chase Winovich (25), Deatrich Wise (26), Kyle Dugger (24), Byron Cowart (24), Adam Butler (26) and Terez Hall (24). 

And the offense is even younger. With Edelman and Burkhead on the shelf, Cam Newton is the only guy over 30 who's getting significant snaps. The starting RB is 23, the starting WRs are 27 and 23, the starting TE is about to turn 25, and the OLs who have played the most are 25, 28, 28, 27, 23 and 26.

It's been an impressive coaching feat, no doubt. But let's be honest here, this isn't even in his top 10 coaching feats. His 6 Super Bowl wins. His 3 super bowl losses. And then the year he got them to 11-5 (and somehow still not in the playoffs) with Matt Cassel playing QB.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, scar988 said:

That's going from GOAT coach to replacement level DIII college coach. Come on now. Let's at least be reasonable about this.

Point is people’s confidence in Belichick to get the team wins is high.  He’s a part of that over/under.