Eagles name Jalen Hurts starting QB

August4th

Just now, Deadpulse said:

Wow, what happened? I still remembering arguing about whether he was an MVP candidate a few years ago. Did injuries just bury his mechanics?

Awful surrounding cast, pathetic playcalling/scheming around their poor talent at OL & WR. Needless to say, Wentz has been uncharacteristically bad - Pocket awareness, decision making, accuracy, etc have all taken a major regression... Everything has gone wrong for him this year - I expect him to be much better next year in an Arthur Smith system :)

Guess the Wentz or Goff debate can be shelved for good now. 

It's inconceivable that Wentz isn't back next year, but if Hurts does what Hurts tended to do in college, it's going to make for an ugly situation. 

Philly is definitely a bottom of the list destination right now, should Pederson be fired.

2 minutes ago, Wentz you dog you said:

Awful surrounding cast, pathetic playcalling/scheming around their poor talent at OL & WR. Needless to say, Wentz has been uncharacteristically bad - Pocket awareness, decision making, accuracy, etc have all taken a major regression... Everything has gone wrong for him this year - I expect him to be much better next year in an Arthur Smith system :)

So less injuries derailing his mechanics and more him trying to do more than he is able to?

4 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Can you guys quit associating Wentz to the Colts. They have other important players to extend like Leonard, Nelson, Braden Smith.  I’d rather Colts try to get Dak, Stafford or draft a QB.

Frank Reich with a whole offseason to correct Wentz's mechanics gets you guys to the super bowl IMO. Nelson you have under contract for another 2 years with the 5th year option. Plus, you can bet Philly will need to eat a chunk of that contract to get him to go anywhere.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deadpulse said:

So less injuries derailing his mechanics and more him trying to do more than he is able to?

Both... He has zero confidence in the pocket. If his first read isn't open (which for whatever reason is always downfield with this crap OL & WR's), his eyes drop & is focused on escaping the pocket even if it happens to be clean. Hurts showed a refreshing ability to be elusive in the pocket which is needed with this scheme & OL. Hurts still is too skittish in the pocket but I expect that to get better over time.

Right move, and a few weeks late. No real point in continuing to play Carson other than politics. He is broken, and whatever is wrong with him clearly can’t be fixed midseason. Do I think is Carson is finished and a trash QB? No way, he was a consensus top 10 QB coming into his 5th year at age 29, and in the absence of an injury, I don’t think there’s ever been a QB to permanently fall off who fits that description. Whether it’s with the Eagles we see him good again, odds don’t look too good.

Gonna be tough to evaluate Hurts with him playing some good Ds and being in a garbage offense. If he lights it up that’d be amazing, but odds are we head into 2021 in a QB limbo of sorts. Certainly can’t draft a QB when you have Carson’s contract and just took one in the 2nd.

6 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Guess the Wentz or Goff debate can be shelved for good now. 

It's inconceivable that Wentz isn't back next year, but if Hurts does what Hurts tended to do in college, it's going to make for an ugly situation. 

Philly is definitely a bottom of the list destination right now, should Pederson be fired.

Nah. Let's see how Wentz responds next year. These types of years happen with young QBs. I tried telling people that last year when Goff was slumping badly. Goff's numbers through his first 11 starts last year aren't much better than Wentz's numbers to this point this year. McVay made some changes late in the year, the OL started playing better, and Goff bounced back with a strong finish (11 TDs to 4 Ints, 7.6 YPA, 66+% comp%, and a 98.2 passer rating over his final 5 starts).

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Blackstar12 said:

Can you guys quit associating Wentz to the Colts. They have other important players to extend like Leonard, Nelson, Braden Smith.  I’d rather Colts try to get Dak, Stafford or draft a QB.

Cowboys aren't going to let Dak walk imo. Wentz is a much better option than the other ones you have. He's right around the point when a QB hits his prime and has shown the ability to be a top 10 starter. Look at his career. This season doesn't look like the rule. It looks like the exception.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, RandyMossIsBoss said:

Right move, and a few weeks late. No real point in continuing to play Carson other than politics. He is broken, and whatever is wrong with him clearly can’t be fixed midseason. Do I think is Carson is finished and a trash QB? No way, he was a consensus top 10 QB coming into his 5th year at age 29, and in the absence of an injury, I don’t think there’s ever been a QB to permanently fall off who fits that description. Whether it’s with the Eagles we see him good again, odds don’t look too good.

I feel like Both Josh Freeman And Dante Culpepper fit that description.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Seems like a desperate move by Pederson. Won't be surprised if this costs him his job.

There's already too strong of a rift between Pederson and Lurie at this point it seems. Pederson is rumored to not want to coach here anymore.

46 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Seems like a desperate move by Pederson. Won't be surprised if this costs him his job.

There are a lot of reasons Pederson should be canned....I don't know that this specific situation is one of them. I mean, salvageable or not, Wentz sucks this year and the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over. Maybe it's not Wentz's fault, the reality is the same, and Hurts, with a different skillset and a certain degree of backyard chaos football yields a better result.