Eagles name Jalen Hurts starting QB

August4th

6 hours ago, minutemancl said:

Frank Reich with a whole offseason to correct Wentz's mechanics gets you guys to the super bowl IMO. Nelson you have under contract for another 2 years with the 5th year option. Plus, you can bet Philly will need to eat a chunk of that contract to get him to go anywhere.

This isn't the NBA where you can trade cash-considerations, though.  So how, within the rules, are you suggesting they "eat a chunk of that contract?"  They're already, from the looks of it, going to be eating close to $28M (might be $38M, I need to triple-check my math, because I forgot his 2020 roster bonus is guaranteed as well and due on the 3rd day of the new league-year) in dead money just to decline his 2020 option, if they go that route.  And if OTC's numbers are correct, they were already staring at potentially being $50M in deficit of meeting the cap to begin with.

21 minutes ago, The LBC said:

Different positions, but I'm willing to be the conditions are closer to that of the Jonathan Vilma trade from a number of years back; i.e. conditional that Wentz re-signs with the Colts in 2022.  It wouldn't be considered a "second contract" since he'd still be coming over on an existing - albeit altered by existing clause of - contract, so he could be extended mid-season if he got off to a hot start and they wanted to use any residual 2021 cap space to buffer the cap-hit of a new signing bonus.  But it would insulate the Colts against having to shell out anything more than a mid-round pick on what could be a one-year rental at an absurdly high fiscal cost.

If carson is traded he's on a team friendly deal for 4 years. So the condition will be performance based.

12 minutes ago, ninjapirate said:

If carson is traded he's on a team friendly deal for 4 years. So the condition will be performance based.

You can't guarantee that.  If he's traded on the current contract a number of his roster bonuses carry with him, including $7M in bonus monies in 2022, between $11-13M in 2023, and $11M in 2024... and that's on top of salaries of $22M, $21M, and $20M in those respective years (all that would carry to the acquiring team).  This is where Howie structuring the contracts the way he usually does, so that he can move figures around in later years to gain cap-space as needed, is coming home to roost.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

This isn't the NBA where you can trade cash-considerations, though.  So how, within the rules, are you suggesting they "eat a chunk of that contract?"  They're already, from the looks of it, going to be eating close to $28M (might be $38M, I need to triple-check my math, because I forgot his 2020 roster bonus is guaranteed as well and due on the 3rd day of the new league-year) in dead money just to decline his 2020 option, if they go that route.  And if OTC's numbers are correct, they were already staring at potentially being $50M in deficit of meeting the cap to begin with.

There is one day to do it, but the Eagles would have to eat an insane amount of dead cap to do it. You could pay out the roster bonus to him. If you do that, his contract for the next 3 years to the acquiring team is:

2021: $15.4M

2022: $22M

2023: $27M

Frankly, even if they didn't eat the $10M roster bonus, the $25.4M cap figure isn't unreasonable for a QB. They're going to have to eat the signing and option bonus money either ways.

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

My recollection with Schaub and Delhomme was that a combination of accrued injuries and age took them down (Schaub went from an underwhelming arm to a pop gun arm, IIRC). Bulger was injury and team related. He got beat to absolute hell and wasn't the same QB later in his career. Maybe Wentz is suffering the same fate. But it's odd it happened so quickly at his age (especially in light of him having generally decent pass protection before this year).

Yeah Wentz is definitely the youngest to falter in this fashion compared to others in recent history. 

5 hours ago, Pugger said:

If he is canned he'll land on his feet.   Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse in 3 short years!

I think he will too. Nothing but good wishes for Pederson. Won the Birds their first Super Bowl - One I didn't think would ever happen. He will never buy a beer in Philly ever again hopefully. 

8 hours ago, 3rivers said:

maybe trade  him to the broncos in the offseason? elway needs a QB, maybe he bites?

I could see how that could track.  Depending on where the cap lands, they could have upwards of about 60 million in space, and at some point, Elway has to feel some pressure, right? They do have some notable free agents, but I don't think that it's anything that would keep them from being able to spend 25 Million on a QB next year. 

Going to be hilarious watching Doug completely and utterly change his offense vs the Saints now that the backup QB is inserted. Its what he did for Foles post ACL and what Andy did for years every single time he had a backup inserted.

There has been no adaptation or  innovation to his offense for 3 years. However vs the Saints Sunday I have ZERO doubt the offensive game plan, play calling and overall philosophy won't remotely look like the past 12 weeks.

There is nothing Hurts physically can do on a football field which includes scrambling and running that Carson Wentz can't do as well. Only Singular difference between the two, Doug won't be scared as a playcaller of getting Jalen Hurts injured!!! He is, without a doubt with Carson. 

Edited by Nabbs4u

9 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

This is pretty ridiculous.  Jalen Hurts will not be a successful NFL QB.  He had one good year passing in a program known for inflating QB stats and quality of play.  To hitch your wagon to this guy is insane to me.  

LoLwut he may not find success in the NFL but that bolded part is hilarious.