Playoffs? Playoffs!?

G08

17 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

I think there is very little to no chance of changes being made save for maybe Phillips retiring.  I'm also not sure there should be.  The ownership wants to be like the steelers and create stability which is 100% the right way to go, Pace has absolutely accumulated talent, that cant be denied.  Bring in a football guy as president of football ops.  He gets a year to decide the fate of the GM.  

That being said its moot if the Bears make the playoffs.  There is no chance of changes if this regime goes to the playoffs in 2 of 3 years.

If they beat the Packers this Sunday and make the playoffs then I agree that it's likely no one gets fired.

But I'm still hearing that Pace's job is anything but secure. A lot of league insiders expect him to be fired if they can't beat GB this Sunday.

How are they going to justify giving Pace an extension if that happens?  Because it's not likely Pace returns with just 1-year left on his contract...

2 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

If they beat the Packers this Sunday and make the playoffs then I agree that it's likely no one gets fired.

But I'm still hearing that Pace's job is anything but secure. A lot of league insiders expect him to be fired if they can't beat GB this Sunday.

How are they going to justify giving Pace an extension if that happens?  Because it's not likely Pace returns with just 1-year left on his contract...

If that’s true, that means that ownership is soured on him and it’s only a matter of time. If they win Sunday, it doesn’t mean they love him more, it only means that a win makes it optically inconvenient to fire him “right now.”

Again, if that’s true, his days are numbered.

• Like 1

Just now, topwop1 said:

GMs arent coaches, GMs go into the final year of the deal all the time.  Coaches are who you really cant let do that bc of the players.  And you cant justify firing Pace and keeping Nagy.  Everything that I have heard I'd that it's already been decided everyone is coming back.  Again even if they dont beat the Pack they can still make the playoffs and that's looking more and more likely with what's going on in AZ.  And there is no way that the family is going to fire anyone from a regime that made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years.  

1 minute ago, IotaNet said:

If that’s true, that means that ownership is soured on him and it’s only a matter of time. If they win Sunday, it doesn’t mean they love him more, it only means that a win makes it optically inconvenient to fire him “right now.”

Again, if that’s true, his days are numbered.

And keep in mind this family has tried this before and failed massively.  They let Angelo go, brought in Emery, who a year later fired the 3rd winningest coach in franchise history following a 10-6 season.  And then watched the team get flushed down the toilet in 2 years.

The McCaskeys desperately want to be the Rooneys.  They want to have a GM who is there for 15-20 years and an HC for 10-15.  They were looking for reasons NOT to fire anybody.  Mitch Trubisky has given them that.  At this point, barring a total collapse against GB and AZ somehow beating LA with Murray on one leg against that pass rush, I think the only one on the hot seat right now is Pagano, and deservedly so.

50 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

And keep in mind this family has tried this before and failed massively.  They let Angelo go, brought in Emery, who a year later fired the 3rd winningest coach in franchise history following a 10-6 season.  And then watched the team get flushed down the toilet in 2 years.

The McCaskeys desperately want to be the Rooneys.  They want to have a GM who is there for 15-20 years and an HC for 10-15.  They were looking for reasons NOT to fire anybody.  Mitch Trubisky has given them that.  At this point, barring a total collapse against GB and AZ somehow beating LA with Murray on one leg against that pass rush, I think the only one on the hot seat right now is Pagano, and deservedly so.

AZ somehow beating LA is a lot more probable than we think.  From all accounts Kyler Murray is fine and expected to start on Sunday.

Rams have a QB that has never played a snap of meaningful NFL football and they will be missing their best WR in Kupp and RB depth is currently also low due to injuries.

I'm not worried about the Rams D but it's kind of like the Bears D before this recent offensive surge..you can only expect them to hold down the other team for so long before points are required from the O to win the game.

57 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

GMs arent coaches, GMs go into the final year of the deal all the time.  Coaches are who you really cant let do that bc of the players.  And you cant justify firing Pace and keeping Nagy.  Everything that I have heard I'd that it's already been decided everyone is coming back.  Again even if they dont beat the Pack they can still make the playoffs and that's looking more and more likely with what's going on in AZ.  And there is no way that the family is going to fire anyone from a regime that made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years.  

The same thing applies for GMs.  No good free agents are going to want to sign here if they know that there is instability at the top with the GM only being under contract for 1 more year.  It's a foregone conclusion that if Pace is going to stay that they will line his contract up with Nagy's.

Ideally I'd like for them to both be let go if they do not reach the postseason, but they can certainly justify it and they have done it before when they hired both Angelo and Emery so it's not like we're talking about something that is rare to see from this organization. 

I guess we'll just all have to find out what happens in the next week.

Edited by topwop1

4 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

"somehow beating LA?" The Rams are without Henderson, Goff and Kupp. Only way that happens is if the Rams D plays their best defensive game in a season where they played great defense (and now without Brockers)

Edited by beardown3231
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

"somehow beating LA?" The Rams are without Henderson, Goff and Kupp. Only way that happens is if the Rams D plays their best defensive game in a season where they played great defense (and now without Brockers)

And Kyler Murray is on one leg (and doesnt look too happy about it) and could be without Nuk and Fitz.  And will 100% not have Chase Edmonds.  And I trust that Rams D a helluva lot more than I trust the Cards.

44 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

And Kyler Murray is on one leg (and doesnt look too happy about it) and could be without Nuk and Fitz.  And will 100% not have Chase Edmonds.  And I trust that Rams D a helluva lot more than I trust the Cards.

Murray said he's definitely playing. No one is "definitely playing" this early on 1 leg. It's probably a strain or a sprain, not something that needs 6-9 months to recover

regardless of how, if the bears make the playoffs, nobody [on the football side] is getting fired. Nagy would make the playoffs 2/3 years as coach, Pace would be 2/3 in the years that mattered - since we all know that the first few years of his reign were a complete rebuild.

the question then remains, what do we do at QB.

On 1/1/2021 at 4:55 PM, HuskieBear said:

regardless of how, if the bears make the playoffs, nobody [on the football side] is getting fired. Nagy would make the playoffs 2/3 years as coach, Pace would be 2/3 in the years that mattered - since we all know that the first few years of his reign were a complete rebuild.

the question then remains, what do we do at QB.

The answer to that question is Trubisky. Just how devoted they end up being to him is the real question. Pace should have hedged his bets already, and really hasn't. (I look at Foles, who I do like, as a desperation move.) 

2 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

The answer to that question is Trubisky. Just how devoted they end up being to him is the real question. Pace should have hedged his bets already, and really hasn't. (I look at Foles, who I do like, as a desperation move.) 

And if Tru feels alienated by Nagy. It sounds like his return to the starting role was when he finally got real input with the coaching staff (though I may just be forgetting about articles stating he had a voice in the gameplan). Then Pace and Nagy traded for Foles and restructured his deal so he was almost guaranteed to be here in 2021 while Tru was still up in the air, etc.

He may put the Bears in a spot where they either sign him big, franchise him, or he walks. I like Tru as a person but to me he isn't worth a $20+ mil deal even for 1 year.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sugashane said:

It sounds like his return to the starting role was when he finally got real input with the coaching staff (though I may just be forgetting about articles stating he had a voice in the gameplan). 

I don't believe anyone had any real input into the offensive gameplan until Lazor took over play-calling duties. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I don't believe anyone had any real input into the offensive gameplan until Lazor took over play-calling duties. 

If so that is a major issue. If Reid can accept input from his staff with all his experience why TF wouldn't Nagy accept some? He should have had the final call but yu have that much NFL experience around you then you take it into account.

Makes me like Lazor more too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

If so that is a major issue. If Reid can accept input from his staff with all his experience why TF wouldn't Nagy accept some? 

Beats me. Mind you, I'm not basing my claim on anything I've read about team dynamics. There hasn't been much out there regarding that.  I'm just talking about what I see the offense doing on the field. Once Lazor took over, what we've been seeing is VERY different, overall. A lot more variety. A lot more awareness of what the defense is up to. A reliance on the run, instead of the pass.