Playoffs? Playoffs!?

G08

2 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

I saw former Vikings center, Matt Birk recently and he looked like a holocaust survivor compared to the way he looked in his playing days.

That happens to a lot of guys, especially lineman, after they retire. they no longer need the absurd amount of calories to keep that weight up. the two most recent examples i've seen are former bear mitch unrein and former bronco orlando franklin. i can't get a decent picture of unrein, but his linkedin is pretty easy to find with a search

Edited by HuskieBear
trying to get this tweet to work
  • Like 1

On 12/28/2020 at 2:35 AM, Superman(DH23) said:

Mitch gets his own blame, but failed isnt really accurate.  He is basically the Bears most efficient passer ever.  He is 24-12 under Nagy.  He is 2:1 TD:INT passer.  That's not failure.  

I don't care if Mitch is statistically the best QB of the Bears of all-time.  That's not saying much considering the history of the Bears Qbs over the last 4 decades or better. Hell, Jay Cutler is statistically probably the best but that didn't matter either, and this WITHOUT taking inflation into considering (how the passing game has evolved).

The bottom line is, Mitch has been garbage for the majority of his games and has shown no improvement in 4 years.  Anytime a team is considering moving on from their 3rd overall pick on a QB and signed 20M backup just in case then that's considered a "failure'. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

I don't care if Mitch is statistically the best QB of the Bears of all-time.  That's not saying much considering the history of the Bears Qbs over the last 4 decades or better. Hell, Jay Cutler is statistically probably the best but that didn't matter either, and this WITHOUT taking inflation into considering (how the passing game has evolved).

The bottom line is, Mitch has been garbage for the majority of his games and has shown no improvement in 4 years.  Anytime a team is considering moving on from their 3rd overall pick on a QB and signed 20M backup just in case then that's considered a "failure'. 

Saying hes been garbage isnt being intellectually honest.  Just like failure.  If you take out draft status no one would say he was garbage or a failure.  Hes been competent.  Good.  Ok.  The problem is that hes been competent, good, ok, as the #2 overall pick where the guy taken 8 picks later is arguably the best QB in the league, and the one that went 10 picks later has been a superstar as well.  Now you and I both know there have been circumstances effecting the results.  Does anyone truly believe Mahomes would be Mahomesing it up under John Fox and Dowell Loggains?  Or that Watson would have come out of the gate w/19 Tds throwing to Tre McBride and Dontrell Inman?  My contention isnt that 10 is going to suddenly turn into an elite QB.  It's that he, like all QBs in the league save for maybe 5 or 6, needs the coaching and the scheme to help him out.  To be better than competent, good, ok.  For the first time since 2018 he is getting that now, and the proof is in the pudding.  Everybody miraculously looks better now.  Sure the defenses they have faced arent world beaters, but just look at the Vikings games for example.  Vikings 1 the Bears need a KO return to even stay in that game and keep it closeclose.  Vikings 2, the Bears score 33 points and were in control the whole way.  Scheme and coaching matter.  The HC has finally gotten to the point where he decided to coach the players he has and they are being successful.  You want to see failure, go look at Cade McNown, that was a failure.  Look at Rex 0.0 Grossman.  That was a failure.  A QB who wins 2/3 of his starts, and sets franchise efficiency records is not a failure.  

9 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Saying hes been garbage isnt being intellectually honest.  Just like failure.  If you take out draft status no one would say he was garbage or a failure.  Hes been competent.  Good.  Ok.  The problem is that hes been competent, good, ok, as the #2 overall pick where the guy taken 8 picks later is arguably the best QB in the league, and the one that went 10 picks later has been a superstar as well.  Now you and I both know there have been circumstances effecting the results.  Does anyone truly believe Mahomes would be Mahomesing it up under John Fox and Dowell Loggains?  Or that Watson would have come out of the gate w/19 Tds throwing to Tre McBride and Dontrell Inman?  My contention isnt that 10 is going to suddenly turn into an elite QB.  It's that he, like all QBs in the league save for maybe 5 or 6, needs the coaching and the scheme to help him out.  To be better than competent, good, ok.  For the first time since 2018 he is getting that now, and the proof is in the pudding.  Everybody miraculously looks better now.  Sure the defenses they have faced arent world beaters, but just look at the Vikings games for example.  Vikings 1 the Bears need a KO return to even stay in that game and keep it closeclose.  Vikings 2, the Bears score 33 points and were in control the whole way.  Scheme and coaching matter.  The HC has finally gotten to the point where he decided to coach the players he has and they are being successful.  You want to see failure, go look at Cade McNown, that was a failure.  Look at Rex 0.0 Grossman.  That was a failure.  A QB who wins 2/3 of his starts, and sets franchise efficiency records is not a failure.  

Wins are a team accomplishment and should never be associated to QBs. 

Mitch has been competent for small stretches against poor defenses. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that he has been playing well, but I don't think it's going to last. 

Mitch hasn't shown me anything to believe that this latest surge is nothing more than an overachieving effort on his part. Based on the last 4 years Mitch's ceiling is a low end starter, high end backup and there's nothing that he can do to change my mind at this point. I don't care if he takes us to the SB and wins....I will still look at as another Eagles/Foles situation (catching fire at the right time).  Mitch has burned us too many times.....it's time to move on. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Ty21 said:

I’m putting our playoff odds at about 20%. Bears can’t beat the Packers even if the game meant saving Virginia McCaskey’s life, and Arizona isn’t losing this week. 

It's a win win.

Bears win and they're in and if they lose then they're most likely out and some changes will probably be made on Black Monday

I don't think George is going to just brush off another loss to the Packers when playoffs are on the line

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I hope you're right.

I'm terrified you aren't. 

Yeah if i were a betting man I’d say at this point the whole regime is back even if we miss out on the playoffs.  Maaaaaybe we get lucky and Ted Phillips retires and they can bring in an actual football person to be president.  But even that I’m not holding my breath for.

Just now, CBears019 said:

Yeah if i were a betting man I’d say at this point the whole regime is back even if we miss out on the playoffs.  Maaaaaybe we get lucky and Ted Phillips retires and they can bring in an actual football person to be president.  But even that I’m not holding my breath for.

If they get absolutely dismantled by the Packers, I think there's at least an outside chance at wholesale change. Otherwise? No. 

The football media is all squawking (positively) about the Bears right now...and let's face it, the McCaskey's are incredibly stupid, so that sort of thing makes a big impression on them. There have been reports that ownership has grown disillusioned with Phillips, so maybe with any luck, he's gone. I'm hoping for a Phillips/Pace purge, with ownership appointing a new president, making Nagy vice president (not that I necessarily think that is good idea, but keep with me here), and then the new "presidents" agreeing on a GM they both can live with. 

That's out there, and the sort of thing that doesn't happen very often, but boy would it be nice. 

1 minute ago, Ty21 said:

Idk why we are even hopeful, a 7 seed has never won a Super Bowl before. 

I don’t need (or expect) a SB appearance from this team this year. All I want is improvement and advancement. If the 2020 Bears made the playoffs and won a game, I’d be pleased. If they won TWO games, I’d be over the moon.

“Progress, not perfection.”

13 hours ago, topwop1 said:

It's a win win.

Bears win and they're in and if they lose then they're most likely out and some changes will probably be made on Black Monday

I don't think George is going to just brush off another loss to the Packers when playoffs are on the line

I think there is very little to no chance of changes being made save for maybe Phillips retiring.  I'm also not sure there should be.  The ownership wants to be like the steelers and create stability which is 100% the right way to go, Pace has absolutely accumulated talent, that cant be denied.  Bring in a football guy as president of football ops.  He gets a year to decide the fate of the GM.  

That being said its moot if the Bears make the playoffs.  There is no chance of changes if this regime goes to the playoffs in 2 of 3 years.