Defense Discussion [2017]

CentralFC

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

He's a Cardinal.

Anyway, can we just once have a pass rushing version of Sam Shields?  Reggie Gilbert is, by every indication, our next So'oto/Elliot.  Can we just once have a breakout performance by an undrafted pass rusher instead of cornerback?  Please?

How about both? Lol

Without any actual data I get the impression that it's way easier to get a legit udfa corner than a pass rusher?

On 8/6/2017 at 10:54 AM, packfanfb said:

Just saw a stat that Rodgers has played 2 seasons with a top-10 defense. In comparison, Big Ben has had 9 such seasons, Peyton 5, Eli 5, and Brady 6.

Just so frustrating...

Completely frustrating ... we've spent countless high draft picks on defense and have very little to show for it.  I think this years defense could turn into something decent, but we are going to need to stay healthy.  Any injuries to starters at OLB or CB could sink us.

On 8/7/2017 at 7:22 PM, NormSizedMidget said:

Not even being sarcastic, but we can have him when he's cut.

I dunno.  Cards have a serious trend of trying these late career reclamation projects like dwight freeney, and have rolled the dice on older CBs the past few seasons.  Arizona is desperate enough at CB to give him a real shot.

1 hour ago, PackyAttacky said:

Whoever was praising this D of being top ten, I am not there yet, but man I cannot remember the last season that had so many young promising players on that side of the ball. Lots to be excited for as a Packer fan.

I said this defense has the potential to be a Top 10 unit entering the playoffs, and I still believe that. 

I think there will be growing pains, but they definitely have the potential to be a very good unit assuming they there's some reasonable growth at a few position groups (looking at you CBs) and they get lucky with health. 

Just now, Cadmus said:

I said this defense has the potential to be a Top 10 unit entering the playoffs, and I still believe that. 

I think there will be growing pains, but they definitely have the potential to be a very good unit assuming they there's some reasonable growth at a few position groups (looking at you CBs) and they get lucky with health. 

This is almost exactly what I'm expecting.  I don't see us finishing with a top 10 defense statistically throughout the regular season, probably not in any category.  But by the time the playoffs come, if there aren't any major injuries, I think it's very possible that it will be the equivalent of a top 10 defense.  Especially if Nick Perry is healthy for the playoffs. 

Interesting fact... Clay Matthews is currently tied for fifth all-time with 11 career playoff sacks.  Nick Perry is tied for 24th with 7.  If Matthews was to get two sacks in the playoffs this year, he would be third all-time behind only McGinest and Bruce Smith, having passed Reggie White. 

11 hours ago, PackyAttacky said:

Whoever was praising this D of being top ten, I am not there yet, but man I cannot remember the last season that had so many young promising players on that side of the ball. Lots to be excited for as a Packer fan.

I'm being cautiously optimistic.  Every time I get excited about youth on defense, I remember that Capers doesn't really like youth.  Seems like it takes a while for young kids to be trusted in his system.

Then you read things, or hear things.  Like I heard that Rodgers was running the scout team yesterday at practice.  He and the SCOUT team offense, led by Trevor Davis, were shredding the #1 defense.  Basically taking what they think Philly will run and showing it to the defense.  And our defense couldn't handle it.

True it is still Rodgers and he's throwing without worrying about interceptions, completion percentage...etc.  He's just letting it rip.  But still, I'm waiting to hear that the defense has started getting it and is providing some stops.  And that information hasn't come my way yet.

Cautiously optimistic.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I'm being cautiously optimistic.  Every time I get excited about youth on defense, I remember that Capers doesn't really like youth.  Seems like it takes a while for young kids to be trusted in his system.

Likely because Dom's defense is so complex and he loves to move guys around that the young players have so much on their plate that we constantly see communication and assignment breakdowns in coverages.

Regarding this years defense, wish I could be excited about the defense but I can't. I think it'll be more of the same from what we've been accustomed to the past 6 or so years, though I do think they'll be better than last years defense which was what? 23rd in the NFL with the 31st ranked pass defense? Somewhere in the middle of the pack is what I envision with this unit which has been their standard ever since their SB season

1 hour ago, deltarich87 said:

Regarding this years defense, wish I could be excited about the defense but I can't. I think it'll be more of the same from what we've been accustomed to the past 6 or so years, though I do think they'll be better than last years defense which was what? 23rd in the NFL with the 31st ranked pass defense? Somewhere in the middle of the pack is what I envision with this unit which has been their standard ever since their SB season

This is where I am at. I keep trying to look for points of optimism, but I just don't see it. I do think our DLine will be better overall, but I am very concerned about OLB and CB. The concern at OLB is more depth-related as we would probably be fine as long as Perry and Matthews survive the regular season without a 3-4 game injury skid and are healthy for the playoffs. Who knows whether that will happen. CB is the bigger concern for me. I still see a bottom-5 squad. Basically, we have House (a suitable No. 2 type CB but a downgrade from Shields) as the No. 1, a rookie in King who is predictably struggling right now, and then the same group from last year's 31st ranked passing defense. When Randall, Rollins or Gunter actually show me something other than getting beat in practice by guys who won't be here in another month, then I will start to have more hope for success. Until then, I'll call it as I see it and just continue to wonder whether we did enough to help solve the CB problem. 

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

This is where I am at. I keep trying to look for points of optimism, but I just don't see it. I do think our DLine will be better overall, but I am very concerned about OLB and CB. The concern at OLB is more depth-related as we would probably be fine as long as Perry and Matthews survive the regular season without a 3-4 game injury skid and are healthy for the playoffs. Who knows whether that will happen. CB is the bigger concern for me. I still see a bottom-5 squad. Basically, we have House (a suitable No. 2 type CB but a downgrade from Shields) as the No. 1, a rookie in King who is predictably struggling right now, and then the same group from last year's 31st ranked passing defense. When Randall, Rollins or Gunter actually show me something other than getting beat in practice by guys who won't be here in another month, then I will start to have more hope for success. Until then, I'll call it as I see it and just continue to wonder whether we did enough to help solve the CB problem. 

I haven't looked lately, has there been objectively bad news about King?

1 hour ago, NormSizedMidget said:

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/08/08/packers-camp-insider-morgan-burnett-sets-tone/543477001/

Second-round pick Kevin King is finding out how rough it can be. Since camp started, he has struggled mightily in the one-on-one drills and Tuesday was no different. First, Jeff Janis drove upfield with a quick burst, getting King to bail out quickly, then made a hard stop and caught the ball with a huge cushion between him and King. Next, Davante Adams drove upfield and then flattened inside for a big gain across the middle. King again gave up too much room and couldn’t recover. Randall Cobb followed and used a subtle push-off to gain space on an out route. Finally, Geronimo Allison did the same thing as Adams, breaking off a route into the middle and getting wide open as King failed to recover. “I’ll learn from it, and try not to make the same mistake twice,” King said. 

2 hours ago, NormSizedMidget said:

Honestly, I'm expecting him to go through his lumps this year.  Playing corner is hard in general, but it's magnified ten fold as a rookie.

King will take his lumps, that's what rookie DBs do in the NFL. When you don't have Sam Shields 4.2 speed you get burned. He needs to get stronger and he needs reps. With Burnett and HHCD in the backend and a lot of depth, Im not too worried about him, we can help him if he needs it. His coaching is top notch.

Archived