Jump to content

Has Trevor Lawrence Peaked?


Has Trevor Lawrence Peaked in his football career?  

50 members have voted

  1. 1. Has Trevor Lawrence Peaked in his football career?

    • Yes
      9
    • No
      41


Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, lod01 said:

No and if Daboll becomes the next Jags HC, paired with T Lawrence, they will take over that division.

lol no they wont.  so you basically saying they will have a patriots like division run with lawrence?  i highly doubt that.

Edited by Texansfan713
Link to post
Share on other sites

Trevor Lawrence in this game specifically had worse receivers, a much worse offensive line and arguably worse running backs.  Ohio State has two great receivers that constantly can get open and make amazing catches, have two great tight ends, powerful running back and an offensive line which is clearly better than Clemson's.

 

In this game Justin Fields played amazing ball, best game of his career but look at what was around him.  He played amazing after the injury and really showed something no doubt but switch teams and doubt it would be the same.  Usually Trevor has super star receivers, but with Ross out and Higgins to the NFL clearly hurt his production.  Does he need to improve his pocket fundamentals, release speed, accuracy and some other things sure but kid can still play and is still a better prospect than Fields overall and has a better body of work.

Honestly it is good to see him go through this, it will help him long term but the hype surrounding him is crazy and sure maybe he will not live up to it but there has not been a QB who was that successful ever before as a true freshman.  Has he progressed over the past few years, I think so but the talent level around him is clearly worse than it was as a freshman.  As a freshman he had Ross, Higgins, Renfrow, Rodgers and Kendrick as receivers and Etienne, Dixon, Feaster and Choice and all have over 400 yards rushing a piece, some well over that mark.  This year he only had Etienne at RB and the 2nd best rusher was him, and at receiver had Powell and Rodgers and that is about it then Etienne and Galloway at TE.

 

PS Ryan Day should be a NFL coach, period.  If anyone should move onto the NFL it would be him, he is high level.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Vince Young put on arguably the single greatest individual football performance in college against USC in the championship, yet could never come close to that same success in the NFL. He peaked in college. So the question is whether Trevor's football career has already peaked. Following the success of his freshman season, you would imagine he would build upon that and improve, yet he's not been able to do that and has indeed taken a step back each season since then in terms of where Clemson has gotten bounced.

So you're comparing a one year wonder in Vince Young who was mediocre in his first two seasons in CFB before having a monster junior year highlighted by their BCS National Championship win over USC against Trevor Lawrence who has had 3 amazing years in CFB with one Championship to show for it?  I just want to make sure I'm clear in what you're arguing here, because it appears you're arguing because they both won a championship in CFB that is his high point of his career.  Where were you making this argument last year with Joe Burrow?  It's a terrible argument.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Hypothetically speaking, imagine if Trevor's career follows Andrew Luck's (add 5 more years on the tail end) or Philip Rivers' - in other words, never reaches or plays in a Super Bowl. Would it be farfetched to claim his football career peak happened during his college years, when he played for two championships and won one?

In terms of team success?  Sure, but QBs aren't defined solely by team success.  Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, but he's one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.  Philip Rivers has never won a Super Bowl (and probably won't ever), but he'll be viewed as an elite QB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CWood21 said:

In terms of team success?  Sure, but QBs aren't defined solely by team success.  Dan Marino never won a Super Bowl, but he's one of the greatest QBs in NFL history.  Philip Rivers has never won a Super Bowl (and probably won't ever), but he'll be viewed as an elite QB.

If we’re talking on a given few years across his career, I’d agree. But if we’re talking career elite, I’m not putting him there. That’s be reserved for guys with some shoe in the BOAT conversation IMO. Someone that changed the game or their greatness is unquestionable. Rivers did neither.

But this is probably more of a semantics thing for me.
 

edit: Like I’d call Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning elite from their combined generations. Wilson and Big Ben could have a case, maybe, but I don’t feel Rivers did enough to deserve such historical elevation. He’s basically Matt Ryan to me. More consistent prime, but worse peak. Ryan also made a SB. Outside of that you’re trading a few more TDs for a few more interceptions. And I don’t think Ryan is career elite. Tbqh, I don’t think either should make the HOF with what they have going for them right now, but that’s just me.

Edited by diamondbull424
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

If we’re talking on a given few years across his career, I’d agree. But if we’re talking career elite, I’m not putting him there. That’s be reserved for guys with some shoe in the BOAT conversation IMO. Someone that changed the game or their greatness is unquestionable. Rivers did neither.

But this is probably more of a semantics thing for me.
 

edit: Like I’d call Rodgers, Brady, Brees, Manning elite from their combined generations. Wilson and Big Ben could have a case, maybe, but I don’t feel Rivers did enough to deserve such historical elevation. He’s basically Matt Ryan to me. More consistent prime, but worse peak. Ryan also made a SB. Outside of that you’re trading a few more TDs for a few more interceptions. And I don’t think Ryan is career elite. Tbqh, I don’t think either should make the HOF with what they have going for them right now, but that’s just me.

I mean, if Trevor Lawrence has a Philip Rivers-esque career (maybe more team success), I'd call that draft pick a smashing success.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 4:05 AM, Counselor said:

So because his oline was bad, the play calling was not good, and the defense got abused them getting bounced is a reflection of him having reached his peak? Smh

Clearly a franchise QB should be able to pull a Taysom Hill and play every position on the field to lead their team to victory. I’ll be honest...this thread triggers me. Does anyone have a safe space I can borrow?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2021 at 4:17 AM, RuskieTitan said:

Hypothetically speaking, imagine if Trevor's career follows Andrew Luck's (add 5 more years on the tail end) or Philip Rivers' - in other words, never reaches or plays in a Super Bowl. Would it be farfetched to claim his football career peak happened during his college years, when he played for two championships and won one?

It would be farfetched. Phillip Rivers has had a great career. Luck had all the weirdness with his injuries, so he really is an outlier in any sort of argument.

The pros are different. If Lawrence goes to the pros and stinks it up, then yeah, he would have peaked in college. Otherwise, we'll just have to wait and see what happens. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m gonna get killed for this, but I think it’s a legitimate question to ask if he’s peaked or not.  Has he gotten that much better since his freshman year? I still see pretty much the same player I saw when Clemson won it all a couple years ago.  He plays on a top 1/2/3 team in the country in a crap conference where they run everyone. He has nfl talent all around him. The last 3 top (if you want to call them that) defenses he’s seen (Ohio State twice and LSU) he hasn’t really tore it up. Shoulda been 3 losses but OSU pooped the bed last year.  I thought when OSU brought pressure the other night, he missed throws, threw one that shoulda been picked (Proctor dropped an easy one) took some sacks and just didn’t look comfortable. Go ahead and drag me, but I think it’s a legitimate question to ask how much higher his ceiling is

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BoltsFan937 said:

I’m gonna get killed for this, but I think it’s a legitimate question to ask if he’s peaked or not.  Has he gotten that much better since his freshman year? I still see pretty much the same player I saw when Clemson won it all a couple years ago.  He plays on a top 1/2/3 team in the country in a crap conference where they run everyone. He has nfl talent all around him. The last 3 top (if you want to call them that) defenses he’s seen (Ohio State twice and LSU) he hasn’t really tore it up. Shoulda been 3 losses but OSU pooped the bed last year.  I thought when OSU brought pressure the other night, he missed throws, threw one that shoulda been picked (Proctor dropped an easy one) took some sacks and just didn’t look comfortable. Go ahead and drag me, but I think it’s a legitimate question to ask how much higher his ceiling is

I certainly can agree, I like Lawrence and think he’s easily better than Joe Burrow from last season as the #1 overall pick. But, I also haven’t noticed a boatload of progression. Though that might also be simply that he started out so fundamentally sound that what he brings to the table isn’t easily improved upon nor easily apparent for when strides are made.

But yeah, especially when one considers the hype of Lawrence as a near automatic QB prospect that’s got a PB caliber floor and GOAT ceiling, I don’t see THAT. The same people that were willing to claim Fields was far behind Lawrence and also behind Wilson because of a couple poor performances this season are seemingly the first ones to provide an excuse to Lawrence?

It’s not as though both programs aren’t recruiting the top talent across the country, I like Lawrence and I think he’s got fantastic upside, but I do think he’s somewhat overrated. I compare him to Rodgers, but I think his chances of reaching that potential are about as good as any prospect’s chances at reaching their potential. Lawrence surely looks very good and elevates his team, but so has Fields. While Lawrence is certainly the better player, I do think both he and Fields have similar bust potential at the next level... with Lawrence simply having the superior upside because of more elite QB traits at his disposal.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...