Jaguars to hire Urban Meyer as HC

.Buzz

Just now, .Buzz said:

I'd have worries about Lawrence/Fields until draft day or we announce it's Lawrence.

But I can't argue the take. I like Day the coach. But I'm also A-Ok with rolling the dice on Meyer.

And you wouldn’t have them with Meyer the Ohio State guzzler? I know he didn’t coach Fields. But I’d be worried still. Meyer apparently wants possible Gm level control according to Cardale Jones who recently had dinner with him.

20 minutes ago, Counselor said:

And you wouldn’t have them with Meyer the Ohio State guzzler? I know he didn’t coach Fields. But I’d be worried still. Meyer apparently wants possible Gm level control according to Cardale Jones who recently had dinner with him.

I would have zero worries that Lawrence is the guy. As you said, he didn't coach him as he was out prior. He's stated on multiple occasions that Lawrence is the best QB in college football (and I believed he even argued the best college QB ever).

You aren't getting a big fish like Urban unless you allow him to build it. I'm fine with it as long as he has an experienced GM by his side. Guys like Reid, Carroll, etc. also have plenty of control, just depends if Urban is a guy that says it's my way or the highway or allows it to be a collaborative effort. The former would worry me a bit, of course.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Wouldn't shock me if Herman is on in some capacity after being let go at Texas. As I said, I expect a few former HCs to be in the fold as well. He's going to want experience on the staff.

Really curious who he gets on the staff and I’m hoping he surrounds himself with guys with NFL experience. Someone like Jim Caldwell and Marvin Lewis would be outstanding as coordinators.

• Like 1

I like the idea of hiring Urban Meyer.  I know some college coaches flame out in the NFL, but there aren't many with Urban's pedigree.  He isn't a guy who has been a flash in the pan in the college ranks for a few years.  He has been successful with more than one program over many years.  Even though there is a difference between college and the pros, I think he can make the transition.  I'm feeling good about this if it happens.

1 minute ago, Chops013 said:

Really curious who he gets on the staff and I’m hoping he surrounds himself with guys with NFL experience. Someone like Jim Caldwell and Marvin Lewis would be outstanding as coordinators.

Teryl Austin sounds like a potential DC option as well.

But yes, I'm hoping he gets legit coordinators/these staff rumors are legit and he can let them do their thing as he CEO's it. Delegate, delegate, delegate.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chops013 said:

I didn't want either one of them as the head coach, but in this case I think you are right.  They would probably be perfect as coordinators.  I wouldn't mind Wade Phillips as our DC if he is available either. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

I like the idea of hiring Urban Meyer.  I know some college coaches flame out in the NFL, but there aren't many with Urban's pedigree.  He isn't a guy who has been a flash in the pan in the college ranks for a few years.  He has been successful with more than one program over many years.  Even though there is a difference between college and the pros, I think he can make the transition.  I'm feeling good about this if it happens.

Eh, there are a few. Hits and misses, so nothing really new. Carroll was a hit, Saban bombed. Jimmy Johnson was obviously fantastic, Steve spurrier not so much

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

Eh, there are a few. Hits and misses, so nothing really new. Carroll was a hit, Saban bombed. Jimmy Johnson was obviously fantastic, Steve spurrier not so much

Carroll and Jimmy were laid back and known for being charismatic.

Saban and Spurier rely on buy in and execution to perfection. Urban unfortunately fits this category more, but he’s not a jerk.

Edited by candyman93